Goldfish Care

RovingGinger

I have a bunch of guppies and tetras but am considering something larger and maybe with bigger personality? Thinking telescope eye/black moor or fantail/veiltail, something that is in the 6-8' range and ridiculously pretty. I have heard anywhere from 1-3 in a 40 gallon breeder, what type of filtration and setup would make 2 + a mystery snail or 2 a comfortable home? Would a sponge filter work for a little while at least with frequent cleaning? Thinking pool filter sand and largely floating plants. I have hard well water. 

What is your experience with goldfish? Photos always appreciated 🙂 

If you mean mixing the goldfish with those tetras and guppies I would not recommend it. They will probably end up as food for the goldfish. 2 goldfish with a sponge should be fine. Just make sure you monitor water parameters and keep up with your water changes. Good luck

• Like 1

Hi Roving Ginger - I  keep Goldies and I love them (which reminds me I forgot to add them to my profile bio)! They do have great personalities. I currently have four. I keep two in 40 gallon breeders. I personally would not keep more than two in my tanks. I have watched mine grow and grow and grow. And just when I think they have stopped growing, they grow more. 

One tank includes a black moor with what I was told is an ranchu but I think he's a lionhead. ?? I honestly don't know. I also own two veiltail orandas in the other tank. I have had a few other fancy goldfish varieties but they passed. 

I adore them! But I will say I have other varieties fo fish. The goldfish require the most maintenance in terms of water changes. I change my other heavily planted tanks every two weeks/20%. I perform water changes on the goldfish tanks every week. I have java ferns and Anubias in my goldfish tanks, but I wouldn't consider them heavily planted. I may not need to perform weekly water changes, but IDK, the weekly changes ease my mind.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I have three fancies in a 55 with a sponge filter and a hang on back.  One Black Moor and one Oranda, the third started out the smallest and was supposed to be an Oranda but probably was a mix.  She is now the biggest.

I love them.  They beg me for food and watch us as much as we watch them.

I would be a bit concerned that they would go after the Mystery snail’s feelers.  They do try to eat everything!  I keep five large female guppies in with them—don’t want any more guppy fry.  And ramshorn snails.  Maybe that is asking for trouble too—I am not sure!

I am planning on putting some Hillstream loaches in with them to enjoy and help combat the algae.  

4C6BDA15-594E-43FA-B904-C9F64C69A999.jpeg