Long Fin Cory

Cinnebuns

I know long finned cories are controversial so I hope I get no hate. I trust these forums for that I like Facebook lol. 

Mainly I'm wondering at what age, and how, you can tell a long fin panda cory fry/juvenile from standard fin. Based on my knowledge I have roughly a 25-33% chance of my fry being long fin as their mom is long fin and their dad standard. I mostly wanna know when I can tell the difference and maybe ways to tell at an earlier age. Ty. 

Jimmy had some long fin pandas.

I would lovingly call them "whale tail" pandas. They look almost the same as normal ones but just big tails (the ones he had, I've seen a few varieties).

Anything with genetic abnormalities highlighted is going to have some controversy for it. It doesn't mean there isn't a demand for it in the hobby, but for something like a Betta fish, it's a major concern due to their ability to actually function.

Based on my experience with my pandas (no long fins) I would think after about 4-6 weeks you'd know for sure. It should be pretty obvious once they get to about 1/4-1/2" range.

I've got some albino cories with larger than normal dorsal fins, but normal sized tails. I got them through Aqua Huna so they came in small (as shown in the photos on their site) but the ones with exaggerated dorsal fins were pretty easy to see from the start. They were pea-sized (or so) and it was noticeable then. It's more noticeable now that they're larger, but you could see the ones with larger dorsal fins while they were quite young.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 8:33 AM, gardenman said:

I've got some albino cories with larger than normal dorsal fins, but normal sized tails. I got them through Aqua Huna so they came in small (as shown in the photos on their site) but the ones with exaggerated dorsal fins were pretty easy to see from the start. They were pea-sized (or so) and it was noticeable then. It's more noticeable now that they're larger, but you could see the ones with larger dorsal fins while they were quite young.

Since I posted this I took a closer look at my fry. It could be wishful thinking, but I do think I see a difference and the oldest are only about 3-4 weeks old. At first I thought I was just thinking they were all long since the first 3 looked like it, but then I saw one who's fins def didn't look the same and were shorter. I didn't expect to get that many long fin, if my guesses are right.