Plant ID, and how to plant it?

On 3/20/2022 at 8:31 AM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

Can you guys tell me what kind of plant this is? And how to plant it? I bought it in the stem plant section, but I feel like I'm seeing it growing on rhizomes in some videos that I watch.

IMG_20220320_082724.jpg

Hi @Corbidorbidoodle

@JoeQis correct, it Hygrophila pinnatifida.  I just used it in a tank for the first time this year.  I attached several stems to some driftwood with Loctite Superglue Gel.  It took a month or more before I started to see signs of growth but I did lose a couple of stems during that period.  After a month I started to see small runners ("A") coming from the stem and 'plantlets' every inch or so along the runner but the original stem stayed the same size.  The runners attached themselves to the driftwood with roots.  It's now been a few months and the original stems ("B") that hadn't grown are sprouting upwards.  I think the plant needs to establish it root system for food and gripping support before it starts to elongate.  My tank has CO2 maintained at a lower level of about 20 ppm and the species seems to like more potassium than most.  -Roy
1129292619_2022-03-2045GallonMklasioensisCatropersonatusAdjSnSmArrowsrotated.jpg.291e8e358c79f3d5cdc0a9e0d7682058.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 10:03 PM, anewbie said:

The article i read indicate this plant pretty much requires co2 - is that your finding ?

Hi @anewbie

I have not tried H. pinnatifida in a non-CO2 / 'low tech' tank.  I have 5 tanks, 4 have CO2 and a 10 gallon that I use for 'low tech' when not used as a quarantine tank.  Currently I am isolating some Otocinclus before adding them to my other tank for some diatom / brown algae control.  I will try to grow the species in low tech sometime in the future. -Roy

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:05 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @anewbie

I have not tried H. pinnatifida in a non-CO2 / 'low tech' tank.  I have 5 tanks, 4 have CO2 and a 10 gallon that I use for 'low tech' when not used as a quarantine tank.  Currently I am isolating some Otocinclus before adding them to my other tank for some diatom / brown algae control.  I will try to grow the species in low tech sometime in the future. -Roy

One other question if you pardon me but why did you glue it to rock as oppose to plant it into the substrate? Will the stem rot if planted ?

On 3/21/2022 at 8:07 AM, anewbie said:

One other question if you pardon me but why did you glue it to rock as oppose to plant it into the substrate? Will the stem rot if planted ?

Hi @anewbie

I have seen pictures of it growing from substrate but as I said this is my first experience growing it submerged in a tank (I have grown it several years emersed) so I have no personal knowledge.  Most posts on the forums seem to show it being grown attached to hardscape however based upon my growing it emerged in a potting soil / peat moss mix for several years I would have to say it will grow either way.  -Roy
1790848683_2020-06-18GSASPlantBank(7)CroppedAdjSnSm.JPG.de927ad012988e320ee7742b665fbbee.JPG

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:16 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @anewbie

I have seen pictures of it growing from substrate but as I said this is my first experience growing it submerged in a tank (I have grown it several years emersed) so I have no personal knowledge.  Most posts on the forums seem to show it being grown attached to hardscape however based upon my growing it emerged in a potting soil / peat moss mix for several years I would have to say it will grow either way.  -Roy
1790848683_2020-06-18GSASPlantBank(7)CroppedAdjSnSm.JPG.de927ad012988e320ee7742b665fbbee.JPG

Is the emersed form very different than the submersed form ? Sorry for all the questions. The plant looks very interesting and so i ordered a small bit to experiment with. I guess i'll have to stop doing this soon or setup another aquarium for more plants.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:07 AM, anewbie said:

What I’ve read says it can be planted in substrate or grown as an epiphyte.  I just recently got a good cluster of plants that was growing low tech, unattached to anything in a bare bottom tank from a lfs, and I glued it high on the wood in my 100 G nanofish tank.  It seems to be responding well so far since some leaves are reorienting to the light.  I’m hoping lifting it closer to the light will get me better color and growth.

• Thanks 1