Trying to keep the hobby alive with one hand - tendonitis

Thomas Wolf

I had to put a large amount of my plans to the side due to a right hand/wrist injury which ended up costing me my job (don't worry, I found another one, but it's writing for a living).

This resulted in paying for a renewed fish farm and never assembling it, keeping my Tilapia breeder in low temps to avoid breeding for the winter, went from 65 prawn to 4 (prawn are highly cannibalistic, evidently, I don't recommend raising them for food, but having 1-3 for pet/s isn't a terrible idea for learning about crustaceans).  I'd rather have a lobster at this point.

For my three extremely fast-growing fancy-tail goldfish on a Saki-Hikari blended diet - I swear I can't overfeed these fish, they are getting huge and staying very healthy, I worked out plans for a 20g Long stand to get them out of their 10g but can't currently handle the cinder blocks and awkward placement for the shelf in my room.  They seem happy for how small their tank is, and it's quite regulated - adding an Aquarium Co-op Sponge filter w/ an air stone definitely made a difference.

The #1 problem:  Water swaps.

I know what you will say, go with a python style kit.  I would if I could but my basement doesn't have a sink set up, just a drain.  The hot/cold connections for the washer/dryer are old and I was lucky to get them to stop leaking with plumbers tape and metal hosing.

My main issue with the kits (outside having a sink) is chlorine in my water.  I don't trust adding sodium thiosulfate and THEN adding a ton of chlorinated water.  I know it's nearly instant but that "nearly" part is very disturbing as even with food fishes I don't believe in cruelty via gill burns.

This brings other problems, like I cannot bend my wrist to clean my tanks as well and I keep running into algae, aesthetic, but still very irritating.

I did buy and set up a Ziss brine shrimp hatchery in the hopes of getting into pet fish breeding.  Those are awesome, but I currently have no use for it.  I think they are too small for the goldfish at this size - though they did clear the tanks out eventually, I worried about micro crustaceans getting caught in their gills or something.

So, for now I have taken a small water pump and attached about 8' of hosing to it with food-grade silicone.  This way I can at least pump treated tap water into the tanks until the majority of the weight is pumped instead of lifted, and I carry the bucket with my left arm back and forth across my basement (about 30-40ft) each way.  Far from a perfect system.  I did it for years for exercise (stubborn as well) and my tendons finally had enough.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.  I don't want to give up the hobby, but as a writer I am already pushing my luck by typing all the time; I see my doctor soon.

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

• Love 1

You can install an in-line filter. Since you have plumbing concerns, you can use an rv filter like this one: https://www.camco.net/filters/evo-water-filter-bilingual-llc-40630

I use filtered water, no problems.  The activated charcoal removes the chlorine, though I do use a water conditioner. Just a little belt and suspenders for peace of mind. 

• Like 2

I have had similar thoughts - I actually used to work for a local water conditioning company and have helped with many residential and commercial installs.

Problem with that is my nephew took over the section of the basement where I could install a unit; already pre-fab for Culligan brand softeners, and then route that through an RO/DI.  There is no getting that section of the basement back; I already use most of it.

I'd planned to do this for years, but my boss at the time was always running behind and never got around to selling me a refurbished unit at a nice discount (I did make a radial flow filter out of a brine tank though, lol).  Then our families hit static and now I can't call them asking for favors because his son and I are not currently speaking.  Losing my job trainwrecked my perfect credit, which is something Culligan checks prior to softener rentals.  Those are the only two companies around, which I know from experience.

So, this really may be my only option - or something similar like an Amazon Basics kit with the same concept.  Looking at constantly swapping out the carbon (you do that w/ RO/DI units every 3 months or so anyways).

I have one line of water leading into the basement and man is that thing ghetto.  I thought of different attachments so I could set it up with a python kit, but it requires professional plumbing work, and I am not licensed (even if I know how to do it...my landlord wouldn't approve it).

Of course, he never knew about the 500g pool full of tilapia, either... but I knew if that turned into a mess, it was my mess.  Lol

I'll research the RV kit.  Should see the RV setup my old boss has in his RV, another thing he said I could replicate and never let me do.  Petty things.

Thank you for the reply/advice!

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

@Thomas Wolf I read your post and I sat here for a very long time trying to picture your set up and trying to figure out anything that might make this easier for you. Lots of people with permanent disabilities participate in this hobby so I hope they can pipe in. Then there's the (hopefully) temporary ones like yours. Our @Brandon p recently suffered a heart attack so I know he has restrictions and I know from my sister having had heart surgery she could only lift 5lbs and there was a list of things she was told not to do. So we adapt. 

I thankfully have none of these things at the moment but I think about them a lot because I do live alone and I think of my future self. I also type for a living (but I'm not a writer). I got an upright mouse, work with a wrist pad and sit as ergonomically correct as possible so as to hopefully avoid what those in my profession ultimately suffer from. For home I even bought a step ladder that was expensive but only weighs 5lbs so my present self doesn't fall off of stools and chairs and my future self same but also can even carry the step ladder. All of this to say I sympathize totally with your situation- sounds to me you might have surgery in your future so the restrictions will only get a little more strict. (please don't grammar edit me lol)

So when I started back in the hobby there were considerations. My 2 biggest tanks are 20 gallons, all told I have just under 60 gallons in tanks. I do daily tank maintenance and 1x a week I water change. I don't really have to but I find my tanks react well to this routine. You know what I've found? I only need one dominant arm. In fact I take my smart watch off one arm and put it on the one I don't use. Granted the non dominant arm helps but it does none of the heavy lifting- mostly just guiding. Because my tanks are small I can really only work with one arm at a time in there. Get yourself a razor blade algae cleaner if you don't have one- I have one that attaches to a rod that can be helpful but half the time I pull it off and use it one handed in my tanks- though my tanks are smaller than yours I think. 

The only thing I do that I thought could help was this (um but not the 500g?!!): Like you I don't have (nor do I in particular need) access to a Python or sink system. I use nano water pumps and a 3 gallon bucket. Water goes out, then into the garden. You have a greater distance to walk so this won't help you any- sounds like the pumping out wasn't the problem. What did peak my interest is the fresh water into the tanks. Where do you pump it from? My water is suspect not necessarily because of city water (though it is a little) but because I live in a very old house with very old pipes- no idea what is leaching into it. So I only drink and cook with delivered water and use a shower filter- but my fish have to stick with tap. SO. I use one gallon water jugs. I know you have bigger tanks so this may not even be useful- but one gallon weighs 8.3lbs and is easy to carry (unlike buckets that can be awkward and slosh about). After I empty my bottles on water change day I just refill them all, treat them, leave the caps off until the next day and then cap and store them until I need them again. It sounds like a lot of work but I've been doing it so long it's just easy, meditative and mindless. I currently have 10, one gallon jugs and they all fit on one of my kitchen carts at the bottom- the great thing about them too is it doesn't cost much to buy another jug (they're just crystal geyser plastic) so low cost investment (I'm trying to keep in mind your potential financial situation). Like I said this may not be helpful to you with bigger tanks but if more modification in the future- I realize it would be more physical work body-wise but your disabled arm would not have to participate in most of it. 

If nothing else just know that I'm sorry for your situation and we'll root for you. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:08 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Thomas Wolf I read your post and I sat here for a very long time trying to picture your set up and trying to figure out anything that might make this easier for you. Lots of people with permanent disabilities participate in this hobby so I hope they can pipe in. Then there's the (hopefully) temporary ones like yours. Our @Brandon p recently suffered a heart attack so I know he has restrictions and I know from my sister having had heart surgery she could only lift 5lbs and there was a list of things she was told not to do. So we adapt. 

I thankfully have none of these things at the moment but I think about them a lot because I do live alone and I think of my future self. I also type for a living (but I'm not a writer). I got an upright mouse, work with a wrist pad and sit as ergonomically correct as possible so as to hopefully avoid what those in my profession ultimately suffer from. For home I even bought a step ladder that was expensive but only weighs 5lbs so my present self doesn't fall off of stools and chairs and my future self same but also can even carry the step ladder. All of this to say I sympathize totally with your situation- sounds to me you might have surgery in your future so the restrictions will only get a little more strict. (please don't grammar edit me lol)

So when I started back in the hobby there were considerations. My 2 biggest tanks are 20 gallons, all told I have just under 60 gallons in tanks. I do daily tank maintenance and 1x a week I water change. I don't really have to but I find my tanks react well to this routine. You know what I've found? I only need one dominant arm. In fact I take my smart watch off one arm and put it on the one I don't use. Granted the non dominant arm helps but it does none of the heavy lifting- mostly just guiding. Because my tanks are small I can really only work with one arm at a time in there. Get yourself a razor blade algae cleaner if you don't have one- I have one that attaches to a rod that can be helpful but half the time I pull it off and use it one handed in my tanks- though my tanks are smaller than yours I think. 

The only thing I do that I thought could help was this: Like you I don't have (nor do I in particular need) access to a Python or sink system. I use nano water pumps and a 3 gallon bucket. Water goes out, then into the garden. You have a greater distance to walk so this won't help you any- sounds like the pumping out wasn't the problem. What did peak my interest is the fresh water into the tanks. Where do you pump it from? My water is suspect not necessarily because of city water (though it is a little) but because I live in a very old house with very old pipes- no idea what is leaching into it. So I only drink and cook with delivered water and use a shower filter- but my fish have to stick with tap. SO. I use one gallon water jugs. I know you have bigger tanks so this may not even be useful- but one gallon weighs 8.3lbs and is easy to carry (unlike buckets that can be awkward and slosh about). After I empty my bottles on water change day I just refill them all, treat them, leave the caps off until the next day and then cap and store them until I need them again. It sounds like a lot of work but I've been doing it so long it's just easy, meditative and mindless. I currently have 10, one gallon jugs and they all fit on one of my kitchen carts at the bottom- the great thing about them too is it doesn't cost much to buy another jug (they're just crystal geyser plastic) so low cost investment (I'm trying to keep in mind your potential financial situation). Like I said this may not be helpful to you with bigger tanks but if more modification in the future- I realize it would be more physical work body-wise but your disabled arm would not have to participate in most of it. 

If nothing else just know that I'm sorry for your situation and we'll root for you. 

I've been running my mind through a blender on solutions, it's not an ideal situation by any means.  I'm sorry to hear about Brandon; there is too much suffering in the world right now.

I am only 32; the injury was from "over-working" and honestly wasn't entirely water-swap related.  I briefly worked at a fiberglass company in production and in the spirit of being a hard worker I tried catching them up on 5 million in production back-orders.  Within 8 days I permanently damaged my wrist/hand.  Evidently, I am not superhuman.

It all happened while I was dealing with my last pool-pond so water swaps were in addition to that.   Let it heal for a couple months, got an even better job, resigned after a month due to tendonitis flare-ups.  So, if I stay off it, it's not that bad.  And, you are right, surgery may be in my future and that will effect my work and my hobbies.

Good news:  I am ambidextrous.  That said, some things are still awkward to do left handed and one of them is dealing with buckets of water.

Type for a living but not a writer - like a court reporter?  You have me* baffled there.  I've been an independent researcher/writer in cryptocurrency and blockchain for a few years.  When I lost the IRL "awesome, do nearly nothing for $20 an hour w/ full benefits and profit sharing, available OT, PTO, health, vision, dental, you name it" job I went directly back to writing and had a few contract offers in two weeks, for which I am grateful as I'd been inactive for months.

I turned to gardening as a temporary hobby (I would have had one anyways, just making a bigger one this time) and that has been easier.  Of course, I have over 100 plants about to blow up and no raised garden bed made yet, though...

With pipes that old it's a good idea to have your water tested.  It's usually a combination of things, in my area mostly iron, but you'll want to see if there is any lead or other harmful stuff in there.  Old pipes are a nightmare; my only inline to my basement is also very old or I already would have solved this whole issue.

I appreciate the kind words.  I just hope my arm can be fixed; I can't picture a life one-handed, even though many are brave enough to survive those types of injuries.

Oh, a tip to whoever runs the Co-op - start accepting cryptocurrencies for payment and I'll send you new customers.

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

Edited by Thomas Wolf
Typo / Edit & Added a sentence
  • Like 1

Hey, you could use a similar set up as I have in my basement. First for water supply. I ran the water hot and cold through a mechanical mixing valve (from Amazon) then that water went through a carbon block filter. The carbon block is connected to a potable water hose that I then have a python like attachment attached to for filling tanks. 

for taking water out, I took a gravel vac and attached a long vinyl tube to it, which then ran to my drain. This is a really fast way of getting water out and back in, you don’t need to worry about declorination, and the water is temp controlled pics attached.

2676818F-62EE-4C4E-8704-DE14529E24E7.jpeg

ADE58DCD-0834-4E3E-BE00-49B12103D8D9.jpeg

7C63DBCE-41C0-4D33-BD29-552A0EB49209.jpeg

5D5ED23D-15C5-4D39-BB67-806BD99423EF.jpeg

• Like 3

A lot of people use a brute trash can on wheels to mix up de-chlorinated water and move it close to individual tanks. 

Rubbermaid Commercial Products Brute Trash Can Dolly with Wheels, Black, Transports 20, 32, 44 and 55G Brute Containers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00002N8AI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_BS7F75YA2QBX0XDZZAYX

60F67463-C0CE-49A9-B142-9AAF82BAAE9E.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2

i know where you are coming from, neither of my wrists move even 10 degree's in any direction due to arthritis eating all the cartilidge. sadly the only thing i can really offer is you kind of have to mess around and find a way that works for you without causing too much discomfort/pain. now the brutal honest truth, sometimes my tanks get neglected a bit when my wrists/hands hurt too bad which makes me not do maintenance on them. keep your stocking levels slightly lower, keep plants, and good filtration, that way you dont have to do as much maintenance. 

Edited by lefty o
  • Like 2

I have struggled with really bad tendonitis in my wrists most of my life from being a drummer. A doctor will likely suggest a wrist guard for you which is fine and helps a ton, but makes it hard to do things with it on. There is another options between a wrist guard and nothing. It won't give you as much support we a wrist guard so those are still helpful, but what's key is you can use it while remaining mobile to give you some support. 

It's called kenisiotape. I used it all the time while drumming and literally am wearing some right now. You will have to have someone teach you how to use it, as it has to be taped a certain way. I doubt the doctor would know how but you never know. Likely you will have to wait till you see an occupational therapist to get that info.  I won't be able to give you the exact info here but it's def something I would ask about if I were you. It will help you be able to accomplish some, possibly not all, of these tasks. 

• Like 1

I have a super fancy set up for refilling my tanks.  I use a generic python to drain, but used to use a plain siphon into a barrel on wheels to empty.

First pic is my barrel filling system so I can premix with dechlorinator.  That’s at the kitchen sink.  I also premix different amounts of tap and RODI water as needed per tank (or groups of tanks).  My RODI collection barrel is another grey barrel but on a shelf with a hose to drain it into the mixing barrel.

The second is my tank filling system.  Also super fancy.  😆 

Added last pic of the RODI barrel drain and “sight glass” hose.

32EF4614-2C98-4E69-9649-EE3FC0D6E869.jpeg

A5F9EA8C-6934-44A8-AF3F-D9127CA60CD6.jpeg

3FB4A5D5-E823-41C6-B545-1C54A909E379.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
To correct photo orientation.
  • Like 1

I appreciate all the ideas; the best way would of course be to set up a faucet so I can do any of the plumbing applications.

Otherwise, I am looking into a trash can dolly which is more logical for a 75g, 40g, 2x 10g, 1x 20g Long - and an unassembled 500g pool/50g filter which likely won't be used until next year.

The inline drain has a hose attachment on it, larger (I forget the exact diameter ID/OD) but I was planning to take pictures.

See, there isn't a sink that works down there but there's a busted old one worked into the PVC piping and it still drains.

With the trash can method pumping water from that instead of 5g buckets that is highly logical for moving it back and forth and more water at a time - worth the expense.

In order to fix the sink downstairs I'd need to cut the water lines temporarily, undo the PVC piping on the bottom, let it drain, pull the sink out and put a new sink head (it's like a bathroom faucet ghetto style sink) in, and then I'd need to find a quality splitter for the cold connection on my washer (locally all they had was a garden hose attachment which leaked, I tried this once already, would need to be a special ordered part) which brings me to the inline I have been using which is a rusted old pipe that has a hose barb at the end with some tubing to lead into 5g buckets.

Even after siliconing the tubing on the barb (no idea why this had a barb when we moved in) it still wants to leak a bit but I've always been able to tinker with it until it stops dripping.  So, if I remove that, it's going to be a lot of fun to deal with - unless I can find a different adapter.

Cost wise, I figure this is going to run 200-300 to get the sink/trashcan/inline set up.  Add in another 50 for the RV unit, it's on discount on Amazon right now.

Haven't dived on the RV filter yet because I haven't figured out a way to fix the inline yet; I'll take pictures.

Probably going to be just a joy finding custom parts for this...

EDIT_

Well, good news is the inline wasn't as bad as I thought it was - not like the hose connections next to it, but it's copper to PVC.  I believe the part is  1" to 1/2" reducer which I can swap for something else that will hopefully mount to the RV unit or similar.  The sink hose adapter is the one that's totally shot.

I have to brainstorm this for the best results, I considered attaching a python kit to it somehow, I bought their $5 replacement part to see if I could get to work with the sink I need to fix.  Pictures of the sink will illustrate why it's full of boxes and stuff...it's been out of commission for a while. It does drain though; that's all that is keeping the sink attached to the PVC pipe work underneath.  The sink head (faucet head) on the junk sink is rusted and shot, needs to be replaced and and if I replaced it I'd still need to find a custom adapter for the hot/cold on the washer, opting for the cold line since I cannot have both.

I really hate this rental (and my landlord who has raised the rent 6 times including double the usual amount recently) but it is what I have for now.

I have some money but I am not rich, Ideally I'd fix the sink and/or mount a python kit to it while running an RV filter from the copper>pvc inline.

Pulled it apart, so I'll have to do something soon.

Apologies for a lot of pictures it's my way of explaining things better.  There was originally a pool where the 75g is.

Drain in the floor has been for waste (organic; I run everything food grade)

Still have other projects going as you can see.  My hand is singing.

Lucky bamboo is an awesome plant for filters and planted aquariums.  I don't know why it's not more popular for that purpose as it lives both partially and fully submerged.  I use them to control nitrates; one way to help on water swaps.  Watercress is another favorite for this purpose, but as you can see I sometimes just stuff a random plant in the filter (that pepper plant has been in there for months).

Snapped a couple of my 10g w/ 3 fancytails - you can see they are growing very fast and need to be moved to a larger tank.  My hand cannot deal with the cinder blocks in tight quarters right now though; Seachem Prime and 1/2 water swaps have been doing fine in the meantime.  I keep all buckets/nets/siphons/fish products for the goldfish upstairs, while the food grade fish and products are all downstairs.

Seachem prime is such cheating (lol, food fishes are harder to raise...pretty much all I use is sodium thiosulfate for DIY dechlor)

What a mess.  I love my hobbies but when you lose an arm they quickly become a sick joke.

photo_2022-03-21_05-37-14.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-37-33.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-37-46.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-38-02.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-38-16.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-38-29.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-38-51.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-39-05.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-39-18.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-39-38.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-39-56.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-40-19.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-41-56.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-42-00.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-42-03.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_05-42-06.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_06-09-51.jpg

photo_2022-03-21_06-10-12.jpg

Edited by Thomas Wolf
Pictures / Update
  • Like 2

It’s great to see the outpouring of great ideas!  

On 3/20/2022 at 10:04 AM, Thomas Wolf said:

I have had similar thoughts - I actually used to work for a local water conditioning company and have helped with many residential and commercial installs.

Problem with that is my nephew took over the section of the basement where I could install a unit; already pre-fab for Culligan brand softeners, and then route that through an RO/DI.  There is no getting that section of the basement back; I already use most of it.

I'd planned to do this for years, but my boss at the time was always running behind and never got around to selling me a refurbished unit at a nice discount (I did make a radial flow filter out of a brine tank though, lol).  Then our families hit static and now I can't call them asking for favors because his son and I are not currently speaking.  Losing my job trainwrecked my perfect credit, which is something Culligan checks prior to softener rentals.  Those are the only two companies around, which I know from experience.

So, this really may be my only option - or something similar like an Amazon Basics kit with the same concept.  Looking at constantly swapping out the carbon (you do that w/ RO/DI units every 3 months or so anyways).

I have one line of water leading into the basement and man is that thing ghetto.  I thought of different attachments so I could set it up with a python kit, but it requires professional plumbing work, and I am not licensed (even if I know how to do it...my landlord wouldn't approve it).

Of course, he never knew about the 500g pool full of tilapia, either... but I knew if that turned into a mess, it was my mess.  Lol

I'll research the RV kit.  Should see the RV setup my old boss has in his RV, another thing he said I could replicate and never let me do.  Petty things.

Thank you for the reply/advice!

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

The filter I suggested is in-line with a garden hose.  Camco offers a couple different types, maybe one will help you.  If not maybe one of the other ideas can help.  Best of luck!  

• Like 1

I figured out I can fix the sink for around $50 or buy a new one (car is small, unlikely) for $130.  New one would have been my first choice due to convenience and it will be really nice to have a functional sink - which means I can then proceed with the RV filter and/or a python kit.  Also, 3/4" attachment availability and sink attachment via python replacement part open up options.  Ideally I want the sink to handle both filling and draining.

I didn't mention that, but it's also very straining to dump old tank water in a floor drain.

Had to order a part for like $22 on Amazon (splitter for the cold water laundry line) and I'm trying to find a 1/2" to 3/4" PVC part that will work with a metal fitting (plumbers tape and a wrench).

Adding up faster than I want, factoring everything.

Cleaned that old sink out a bit with vinegar, still needs a lot of love...

Real pain, but worse case scenario I figure run a hose from the cold water splitter when it arrives; although that doesn't solve the drain strain.

I believe the python brand allows for attaching a drain hose for the waste water, too.  Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.  My generic doesn’t, so I have to drain into the sink unless I want to start replacing components.  If I decided I needed to do that I would just buy a python brand instead.

• Like 1

I believe you are correct Odd Duck - and I'm looking into alternatives with Hygger and similar brands.

I was lucky and found a 1/2" to 3/4" reducer for the inline, sadly it's gonna have to be PVC>Metal but that isn't a game changer.  I was able to hook up the old sink to the cold water line and at least run it/unclog the worst of it.  It's old junk; the threading was leaking with multiple attempts w/ plumbers tape - I bought two of the PVC adapters in case I ruined the threading the first time.  Luckily, those are only like $0.65c and are available locally.

Doing the math on this, all parts required to rebuild the sink pretty much pay for a new sink, so I am opting to remove this one.  I will have to wait until I get paid to buy the rest of what I need while my fish are in limbo; noticed a reduction in feeding which tells me the water parameters need my attention immediately, but there isn't a whole lot I can do about it until I get the new sink installed and the python water swap system.  Luckily, tilapia are extremely hardy fish and will most likely survive a week in poor conditions - not that I feel good about it.

My goldfish never complain...except for more food.  I am actually baffled that they are so big so fast and like tilapia (before they decide to breed) they are very peaceful fish.  Seachem prime has been saving them, but that can't go near my food grade systems.

I am leaning towards spending $150 on a new utility sink, and I just ordered two 4' laundry/utility hoses so that way when I do buy the new sink, it will have both hot and cold water (something everyone should have in their laundry room, and it will make rinsing buckets and stuff out a breeze compared to before).

Still have to order a few more parts (another 3/4" splitter for sure) and then after that the area will be fully functioning for a Python style attachment (and it will be nice for other things too).

All in I figure this is going to cost me around $350, maybe $400.

When I move, I'm taking all of it with me.

It's either that, or I kill the hobby.

Sold for 400 American

Lol

I’m seeing utility sinks from big box store for only $55.00-$60.00.  No idea the quality, but seems like they would do the job reasonably well. I’m sure the faucets would be extra, but I’ve been checking on faucets and even smiley online store has some for less than $100.00.

I've checked into these, and it would be ideal if I didn't have a PVC trap beneath that was put together "randomly" would be the way I would describe it.

I worry if I differ from the piping it will lead to a nightmare, despite not wanting to touch a clogged trap under a sink, it's nothing I have not done before.  This place and others like it owned by the same junk landlord were all thrown together on the cheap.

The sink + empty/lesser grade tub without necessary plumbing would still run 70$ + the 22 spent on 2x 4' hoses and another 45 on 2x 3/4" splitters.  That assumes I don't have to replace any underneath piping which is hit or miss.  Since I am already heavily invested in the hobby, it makes sense to me to buy a pre-fab with full functions.

If I buy a prefab one, it will come with everything for 130-150 and make the parts I paid premium for more worthwhile.  Cold & hot water, all plumbing parts included.  I do like the idea of being able to pick my own faucet for the faucet attachment though; but that is a $20 swap if I don't like the one it comes with.

I need to take a better look at the trap under the sink and get some measurements and then I'll make a decision from there, but I have to wait until I get paid anyway so it will be a few days at least.

I'll look into the trap plumbing and see if I can't find one that is set for those measurements, or the next best thing.

Tilapia tank badly needs a water swap; I may have to cull a few fish to reduce stocking density - I have one in a purging tank but I was allowing it to heal from mating-related abuse.  After a few years it's pretty easy to tell when a fish needs to go sit in some hypo-brackish water alone for a while, but even with one larger fish out of the tank, it's still overloaded.

Running a lot of filtration.  The 75G just finally hit its maximum - if my arm hadn't gone out, they'd be in a pool except for the breeding male and females and they would have a ton of space but there is no way I can handle a 500g pool with a bum arm.

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

EDIT:  I took a look and the PVC trap isn't too bad @ 1.5" should be fairly easy to take apart, clean, and reassemble.  Took some serious looking but found a "Spartan mold #7 Made in Canada" stamp beneath the sink, and I haven't found one anywhere.

Something I found comical:  The cold water line was hooked up to the hot water handle despite the cold water line being closer.  Don't ask me how that happened... it was like that when we moved in.  Lol

Good news with this is I took measurements and should be able to find a pretty good match at the same height - 32"

Sucks I can't find a "Spartan" replacement just for the sink and go run and grab a new faucet, that would be a great budget fix with zero-thought for compatibility.  Although, I may be able to make this work with your earlier idea if I can find a close enough match.

Edited by Thomas Wolf
More info
  • Like 1

Couple of things, you can probably find a utility sink pretty cheap.  I have a plastic tub one that all of my "stuff" drains into (laundry, water softener, and aquarium water for changes.  Have a Python hook up with a short garden hose so I can refill aging/preheating barrels.  Now that spring is showing up, I'll probably start running a short line right out the front door as I'm sending 55 gallons of water with fish waste in it down the drain every night from my discus tank.  Might as well water the apple trees and/or landscape with it when weather allows.  Obviously, make water changing as trouble free as you can.

An additional note - I had pretty darn bad tendonitis in both elbows/wrists about two years.  I wasn't sure it was going to get better without doing something drastic.  But I kept on the bracing straps and I'm OK now.  But I do pay attention to anything that's using my forearms a lot and I try to be careful.  It's a lousy ailment.  I found that there's a balance between restricting movement of the joint and use of it to build strength/stretch.  At one point the brace became a barrier to recovery.  But to get me to that point the braces were very important.  My favorite was the single 3" neoprene strap style.  But also used a bigger one that covered the whole elbow joint on both sides for awhile.  That was good at keeping me honest in how much I was using it because you can't move your arms too much with it on.  

Final thing to add is that I'm a beekeeper (which really made this problematic dealing with 30-40 colonies of heavy boxes).  I stung myself in the elbows and wrists every time I worked the bees.  And it absolutely helped.  Relief would last 3-4 days it seemed and gradually got better.  In short - lots of blood flow to areas of concern (might) be what helps.  My great grandma had arthritis and swore by the bees my grandpa and dad would bring to sting her.  And I've done it for my dad who's had chronic tendonitis.  I don't know if it's placebo or not, but my dad took several stings for a couple of years and hasn't had an issue for probably 3-4 now.  Finding bees might be tough and finding someone who would be willing to let you sting yourself is probably tougher.  I think there's a company called Bee Weaver that might ship small bee toxin kits with live bees.  I have had a number of people over the years want to get bees from me to sting themselves and there's absolutely no way I will do that.  But personally have found it extremely beneficial when coupled with other traditional means of relief.

• Like 1

Hey Carlson,

I've wanted to get into beekeeping for some time.  I recently stumbled across "Bottle to Bottle Honey Production Beekeeping - Contactless Beekeeping" by Advoko MAKES on YouTube.  Very interesting especially paired with my mycology knowledge via Paul Stamets with his active involvement to help save the bees, and my ability to produce the myco-medicinal syrup he uses from home; some of the ingredients (Chaga, mostly) I use on myself and my family.  I find the way you can watch the entire process without contact to be awesome, plus it allows you to "hack" the nests a bit.  For now, I just buy raw/unfiltered organic honey.

Good to hear some people do actually get better long term, my research pretty much said that after six months it's usually a case of surgery and an advanced condition beyond regular tendonitis.  X-Rays looked good but we all know they don't show everything.

I have found cheap utility sinks but finding ones that will go into place without too much fuss in place of the old one is the challenge; probably going to end up messing with the P trap a fair amount, but I already know how I'll fix it (extra 1.5" PVC pipe/coupling to meet the drain.  Still, that could involve multiple trips to the hardware store if I don't do my homework first; I have the specs and the closest model to the specs available locally thus far.

I used to put most of my fish waste in my garden but that involved carrying 5g buckets up the stairs, and dumping them out in the backyard.  Definitely not a good thing to attempt with tendonitis; I aim to keep my systems recirculating and ideally just add water, however, Tilapia overwhelm systems easily - they really are the perfect food fish for aquaponics with the one complaint of them being sub-tropical.

I'm thinking a new sink with hot/cold and a python kit combined with an RV filter will be my final outcome for this location, and once I move I will incorporate an even easier system to deal with.

Will hit the wallet a bit but what is the point in working if I don't have any hobbies when the work is done?

I'm not a super paranoid person but having a sustainable food supply, given the state of the world, isn't the most illogical thing - especially with adult Tilapia going into spring.

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

• Like 2

Fish not feeding, checked parameters (I already had a good idea of what was happening)

pH = very low. <6
Ammonia = very high. >4
Nitrite = 0ppm
Nitrate = 0ppm

Caught in a nitrification/ammonium trap.  The best solution is a complete drain and refill.  It's a 75 gallon.

I think my only move here is to move the fish to the 40g temporarily and try to set up a hose for draining and refilling the 75g, then move the fish back.  The "prawn" tank was my original tilapia breeder and it can handle the fish temporarily.

Too bad I don't have a $1,500 water distiller so I wouldn't have to hard-crank the pH with my hard municipal water at 8.2 pH.

It is times like this not being able to use products like seachem prime really, really, really suck.  Another thing is in aquaponics/aquaculture, I can't just add buffers and walk away like I would in hydroponics = ammonium would wreak havoc.

Options:

Try to do something about it while injured, or let the fish suffer and die.

I hope this doesn't hurt me too much...and there's a long hose with decent threading somewhere.

I figure they cannot wait another week at these levels and I hate that it got this bad over not being able to move 5g buckets around.

EDIT_

Moved the tilapia to the 40g, they are significantly more active/happier/feeding.  Has well established filters but where I ran into problems: my stepdad tossed out our hose last season.  Regardless, moving the fish was the right thing to do... even discovered a really small 3-4" pond grade tilapia in there, tempted to keep it for a pet because it's stunted for life - not sure how that would go with 3 fancy tails around the same size though.

Unplugged the filters and dosed the 75g with hydroxide peroxide a few times to kill algae since the tank is just sitting there, figured make use of the time and try to get rid of the aesthetic element.

Driving me crazy.

Upside:  The new metal hosing 4' for the new sink fits well on the PVC reducer without leaks.

Downside:  I found a leak above it, and have to find yet another solution for that now; it's a minor leak but it's the valve on the inline directly attached to the copper and I'm not licensed to plumb so that sucks... I'll see what I can do without cutting the copper.

Can't wait until I get my own property, and custom tailor it for my hobbies.

But hey, the fish are better off.

Edited by Thomas Wolf
Updates

@Thomas Wolf

Hello i am sorry you are having trouble  ..hope you wrist and hand will get better,, and that you have good news from  the doctor

I want to apologize if this post is long  but I am going in full detail  hope this helps you or others on the forum 

I am kinda have the same problem as you we might not have the same medical issues.. I was born with cerebral palsy on the right side  I am semi retired 60 year old 

i walk with a limp because my right foot is 2 inch shorter then the left  .. and I have one functional hand and arm .. my right arm and hand is not useable at all no use  All my life I had to figure out how to do everything one handed 

I am Semi retired and in retired years i work on the computer doing websites and work in photoshop repairing old photos and make graphic s for others so i use my 1 hand  for business allot 

for 13-15 years I have been fish keeping  .. and others can tell you a way to something .. but you have to take their advice and work around it and figure a way that works for you and your needs 

My fish, tank and plants are my hobby and therapy mentally and physically,,it also keeps me more active and keeps my arthritis at bay from getting worse i do something to tank daily just love working on it 

i do everything myself  in the fish keeping except if i need something built or moved for the fish tank my brother helps me with that department 

it might take some time to figure things out a way that works for you and your needs  but it possible 

My fish tank is 55 Gallon  I use a canister filter and i use the Oase Biomaster   I tried all the popular brands of filter. The Oase Biomaster is a little more expensive but it was the only canister filter that worked for me and one hand people  in the past I  use Aquaclear with my smaller tanks 

Oase canister filter it has a handle to carry it   love it ❤️ it was the only canister filter easier to handle with one hand  to carry and clean  .. and the hoses are easy to do with one hand to 

I have to use a canister filter due where my tank is and against a wall  my aquaclear was not easy to do against the wall  my brother help me twice with the canister filter  and hoses till we knew for sure i could  handle the filter on my own ,, 

I have sand and gravel vacuum  and i do not use the traditional gravel vac like others 

I finally found a dyi vac that works for me from this video below  it does  great with sand so not sure if it does on gravel some say it works for gravel too

For the water changes  

I can not use a python hose and kit and the water kit is not useful for one handed people ..i resold mine on ebay because i could not use it … it was used only twice

I have to use a hose and water pump and trash cans that is food safe with clamps and suction cups to hold the hose 

I do water changes every 1-2 weeks 

Prepare water i do a couple days before day of water change 

,, I was taught it was better to let water set over 1- 3 days .  for chlorine and metals to go dead i add prime for 20 gallon for each can and added a small heaters to each can

After the water sits for 1-3 days   and Prime only last for 24 hours I add more Prime for whole tank after i add water to  tank 

I have 2  of 13-15 gallon food safe trash cans with wheels  to able to move the cans ( had to buy wheels separately my  brother put a broad on a roll cart/dolly   with a push handle so i can push the cans without lifting ) i feel  the cans up with tap water and treat 

To withdraw water out of tank 

I use the water pump 

I have a hose long enough  when i am taking the water out of tank  in my current place .. I have the hose out of window or my back door to  water my lawn ..  in my old place i ran to bathroom tub to drain it 

To Add water to tank 

I use the pump  and hose  in the cans ,, I attach the hose with a clap to big  plastic bowl that has a rock to keep bowl from not floating  ( The bowl is to keep water from splash on my  sand )  then i use 1-3 suction cups to attach the hose to glass   then use a big clamp to attach hose to black rim of the tank  so it will not move and feel it up   And watch it closely while filling ,,

If i have to transfer water manually to carry i use  1 Gallon plastic pitcher   and I have 4 of the 2 gallon buckets ( from Home Depot)  I can not carry 5 gallon easy ,, but the 2 gallon i can handle  and i also have another trash can with wheels for the dirty water while gravel vac so i can push it to yard or tub to empty it and 

It is nothing new that i do.and it took me a while to figure things out but is possible  I wish you the best  and if you need help Just let me know ..  

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Hi Bev,

I am so so sorry to hear you've had to live with that condition, I can only imagine how hard that has been, but it says worlds about you that you kept up the fight and even still work - both of my parents are on disability with less severe conditions and neither of them work, not even a little.

I actually found our hose outside (didn't think anyone would leave the hose outside all winter in Wisconsin but that is what I get for putting my step-dad in charge of the hose, apparently)

In the short term I did a total water swap and filter cleaning, now have that tank cycling with Seachem Seed beneficial bacteria to help re-establish the system.

Tilapia are better in the 40g but need to be moved quickly (tilapia can survive a bacterial bloom, prawn - probably not) mainly because tilapia can breathe above water if necessary.

The goal is to avoid all of that but the prawn tank is beginning to bloom responding to the huge blast of ammonia, so the moment the tank gets up to temp I need to move the tilapia back to the 75gallon.  Luckily, I have beneficial bacteria on hand in case something like this happened.  I always keep a bottle around - I hate cycling tanks!

I had a hard time getting it going but managed to get a siphon on a 50ft hose and drained that out, then hooked the hose up to the inline I've been toying with and filled the 75g with fresh tap water, and dosed it with sodium thiosulfate.  Cleaned most of the algae with a end-filter on a piece of PVC and added some peroxide to the water to aid in the process.

Just setting it all up is too much on my hand, but I figure it's already worth it compared to 5g buckets!  Even ambidextrous, 5g buckets are not easy to do with one hand as I know you can relate too.  Very hard to clean the tanks, as well.

I sometimes do graphic work in photoshop and illustrator for article images and logos, etc.  I can imagine the talent and patience it takes to do that one handed!  I truly admire the fact you moved forward with not only your hobbies but even work when no one would have blamed you for just taking the disability.

Work ethic and hobby passion going on right there!  I love it.

In terms of adapting others ideas, short of the person who built the easiest/best temperature controlled setup, I plan to do them all.  I'm buying a new utility sink, a separate faucet, the RV filter unit, and a python kit.  I also like the idea of a trash can dolly, I've used them at manual labor jobs before and I did already set up a pump to 1/2" tubing for that purpose.

May not be able to buy it all at once but that is the goal and then when I move to I plan to emulate Goosedubs setup, especially since python and similar kits operate on the Venturi principle and waste water doing so.  I don't like the idea of losing 70+ gallons of clean water every time I fill a 75g, but in the short term, I can deal with it.  Using a water pump w/ hose from inside the tank I was able to start the siphon using about 1-2 quarts of water, and quickly unplugged the pump.

I use Prime on my goldfish tank and it works wonders, but I cannot use it on food-grade systems.  Believe me, I wish that was an option, but I don't want chemicals from the formaldehyde family in my food.

I used a standard 2" clamp to attach the hose to the top of the tank, but I can see how the python hook attachment or DIY version work work better and also prevent a reverse siphon which I've already had happen...twice, lol.  I keep a mop w/ a machine washable head downstairs, so it wasn't too bad.

Now I decide what to do first, the sink is a no brainer.  I may even opt to try a better hose (not some heavy old rubber one) before purchasing the python kit.

All that is really left to figure out is the new leak I found, and then the assembly and plumbing work.

I cannot wait to not have to worry about this anymore and I greatly appreciate all of your replies & help.

Thank you again for taking the time to help.

I am willing to bet these tilapia are not going to want to be moved again...I'm about to get splashed several times... lol

Best,

-Thomas Wolf

Edited by Thomas Wolf
Typo & Edit

@Thomas Wolf

Hi Thomas

It sounds like you are starting to work on things that will make things easier for you it is possible but it takes time  I am here any time you or any one else needs advice 

.. I have been lucky having a brother that likes to do dyi projects and handyman jobs ..

and it is best to do and make changes a  little at a time this hobby can get expensive. but when you have everything just right to your needs it is worth it and then not as expensive  and easier for you and you will enjoy the hobby once again,

My history I was blessed to have a whole family that raised me and taught me that i could live a normal life to try everything. and if you can not do it one way to figure out it the best way for yourself 

I had to take a medical retirement from public work due to seizures ( comes with my cerebral palsy and they got worse ) but i consider myself as being semi retired because i do keep busy and I do some  websites and graphics and photo repair for others ( it helps me with my photoshop and fish hobby LoL .. )  

One hand working in photoshop is not easy at times but worth it ,,I  love photoshop and love doing photo repair The only thing i found out i can not do is drive a car due to my seizures  But life has been very good  even with a 22 year marriage with divorce my life has been blessed and i am very thankful nothing to complain about.

My brother does not have fish but he helps me with research & building on things when i need something adapted in the fish hobby    He was the one that found the 2 gallon buckets at home depot the 5 gallon buckets i can not handle well even using half of the bucket full  the 5 gallon buckets are bulky for one handed people  i love the 2 gallon buckets started with 2 but love them i got 2 more 

Yes the trash can with wheels  for my dirty water is a big help i have one brute trash can with wheels 

But  I have a another dolly  with a handle to push for my trash cans that holds my water cans for water  changes my brother had in his storage He added a extra broad on the dolly for the support and the weight of the water But usually i do not move my water changing cans often after i fill them i just have a longer hose and water pump 

i do not have much problems with maintenance on the tank now since i have things set to my needs 

I will admit my brother helps with my glass lids with adding the back plastic strip that comes with it it is hard to do with 2 hands  but we decided next time when i need new plastic strips to replace  the old  my brother is making me dyi lids or we are using light diffuser in the place of the plastic strips for the glass lids they are a devil 👿 to put on 

The python hose system is not friendly for one handed people  but the video i posted in my last post above is what  i use  as a gravel vacuum and works great for sand. if you have a large enough air pump and air stone 

my biggest problem was the filter I use 2 sponge  filters and a canister  filter i use to have a 29 gallon and used aquaclear hang back loved it but when i got my 55  gallon tank and it ‘s location i could not use a hang back full time ,,  had to switch to a canister filter i still have a hang back for emergencies..though

The canister filter was my biggest problem because  most brands it was hard to carry and put together and clean and change hoses one handed ,,  that is why i listed The Oase Biomaster canister filter as one handed friendly  canister filter 

i tried and returned  6 different canister filters before finding it .. it has a nice prefilter where i only clean the main inside area every 1-2 months the rest of the time i clean the prefilter sponges   it was easy to do the hoses  with one hand to  i bought extra hoses for when i have to change hoses and  clean them i clean hoses ever 3-6 months most of all that i love the canister most of all it because it has a handle to carry it (love  ❤️ ) not sure why most canister filter does not have a handle to carry and move it 

Now my biggest problem is keeping my plants alive 😂

Wishing you the best and looking forward  hearing on you journey in fish keeping and i am here anytime if you need help 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:28 AM, Thomas Wolf said:

Hey Carlson,

I've wanted to get into beekeeping for some time.  I recently stumbled across "Bottle to Bottle Honey Production Beekeeping - Contactless Beekeeping" by Advoko MAKES on YouTube.  Very interesting especially paired with my mycology knowledge via Paul Stamets with his active involvement to help save the bees, and my ability to produce the myco-medicinal syrup he uses from home; some of the ingredients (Chaga, mostly) I use on myself and my family.  I find the way you can watch the entire process without contact to be awesome, plus it allows you to "hack" the nests a bit.  For now, I just buy raw/unfiltered organic honey.

I saw that video of the plastic bottle hive thing, I would strongly caution against using something like that.  Bees are adaptable and able to be abused in many ways.  No different than a betta that somehow lives out some sort of life in a teacup sized container.  If the sun ever fully hits one of those plastic see-through hives it's probably curtains for the colony and overheated bees isn't a pleasant death.  They regurgitate their stomach contents in a last ditch effort to control the temperature (normal cooling is spreading water on the combs and fanning).  Not to dive too much into that.

I am familiar with Stamets and really like the guy.  I do not know how much merit his bee "stuff" has, however.  I know a number of years ago there was a bit of a rage about it and I never really heard anything come of it.  Which is kind of normal for most "viral" bee stuff.  Ends up being kind of bunk.

Regarding "contactless" beekeeping... I find it irresponsible.  You probably wouldn't put fish in a black tote with a black lid and then hope everything is OK months and months down the road without interacting with them.  So bees should be managed similarly to fish, IMO.  Regular observation, treatment for disease/parasites when indicated, fed as required, etc.  Not to mention that's the fun of it all.  Sure, I guess honey is good.  But if you're buying bees to get honey then you are absolutely going to have the most expensive (and labor intensive) honey you've ever had.  I think a lot of new beekeepers want to have bees so they can tell someone that they are a bee keeper.  And I suppose that's how a lot of us start a lot of things.  But there's a whole lot more to it and bee gurus should be taken with a mountain of salt.  If you do ever cross the beekeeping bridge feel free to message me, more than willing to help as best I can.

Regarding the wrist, I am a firm believer in modern medicine, but I think a lot of time people are surgery happy.  But that might kind of be a case of "when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail".  I never went and saw anyone about my wrist.  I went by what my dad said was his experience and then just experimented with what seemed to work best for me.  I tweaked my left wrist a bit when I was in the bees.  So I've been trying to be cautious with it since then.  It feels a little better today, mainly I just notice it hurting less.