When to pull BN pleco fry

Goosedub

I have a male BN pleco that has been in a cave with eggs/fry for at least 3-4 days, probably more. I shine a flashlight in the cave and I see the pleco fry in there, the male quickly covers them up. I want to pull them and put them in a breeder box. When should I do this? Or should I puke the male and the cave and put them in their own tank. They are in a community tank and I don’t want them all to be eaten.

Never. The male will kick them out when they are large enough to be self substaning. As to being eaten - it depends what you have in your tank - guppies can't eat them but an oscar can. There are a lot of fishes between guppies and oscar that can and can't eat them.

Hey,

The easiest thing is always to keep them in the cave.

In my experience you can pull the fry out once they no longer have their yolk sack and move them to another tank without any issue. You could pull them with the yolk sack but they are much more fragile at that stage.

You can look online at how people wash out the fry from the cave by using a small bucket outside of the tank.

It's important that the tank that you transfer them to has lots of food for them. A piece of driftwood from an established tank has lots of tiny foods for them to much on.

Edited by Bsharrow

In my experience with breeding mine the biofilm is essential to they fry. The batches of mine that had biofilm did much better than the following batch that the film had been eaten by the first batch. I do not recommend breeder boxes. You can pick the cave up with dad in he will stay put and put dad-cave- fry as is in a tank. When dad kicks them out return dad to his home.  I would also not remove the fry from dad until he kicks them out. Hope that helps. 

On 3/17/2022 at 1:26 PM, Bsharrow said:

Hey,

The easiest thing is always to keep them in the cave.

In my experience you can pull the fry out once they no longer have their yolk sack and move them to another tank without any issue. You could pull them with the yolk sack but they are much more fragile at that stage.

You can look online at how people wash out the fry from the cave by using a small bucket outside of the tank.

It's important that the tank that you transfer them to has lots of food for them. A piece of driftwood from an established tank has lots of tiny foods for them to much on.

I have a question along this topic. So I had to pull the eggs from my super red breeding pair. This is the 3rd clutch and I pulled them cause the last two the dad destroyed them or doesn’t watch them. I put the eggs in a tumbler and they just hatched. They look well, except I have some eggs that were fungal and now there in the tumbler looking big and clear with a white dot in the middle.  Should I remove them from the wigglers ? Or leave them till I put them in a breeder box?  Thanks  

On 3/17/2022 at 11:53 AM, anewbie said:

Never. The male will kick them out when they are large enough to be self substaning. As to being eaten - it depends what you have in your tank - guppies can't eat them but an oscar can. There are a lot of fishes between guppies and oscar that can and can't eat them.

Exactly.  And, unless you want an endless chain of fry - pull the female.  They have fairly large spawns, and I wound up with 2 or 3 hundred of the little beggars before I figured it out. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am also at the should I pull the pleco fry stage.  The male is in his normal hiding place, which also happens to be where the eggs were.  I used to be able to see a few eggs under him, but  cannot now and do not know if they have hatched and he has them corraled higher or if he has eaten them.  I see that he is still fanning and have not seen him out. I have a separate tank set up and ready to go.  The tank has 4 angels in it, 3 other plecos (including mom) and 4 pepper cory.  As you can see there are plenty of plants and places to hide.  So should I just take the whole ornament out and put in the other tank or leave it alone and let nature take its course.I am also at the should I pull the pleco fry stage.  The male is in his normal hiding place, which also happens to be where the eggs were.  I used to be able to see a few eggs under him, but  cannot now and do not know if they have hatched and he has them corraled higher or if he has eaten them.  I see that he is still fanning and have not seen him out. I have a separate tank set up and ready to go.  The tank has 4 angels in it, 3 other plecos (including mom) and 4 pepper cory.  As you can see there are plenty of plants and places to hide.  So should I just take the whole ornament out and put in the other tank or leave it alone and let nature take its course.

505.jpeg

506.jpeg