Amano Colors

Cajun Charlie

Some look like the online pictures, mostly clear with red lines.  Some look brown with a broad tan dorsal stripe.  Some are translucent golden with bright yellow egg saddles.  Yesterday I even saw a new black one.  I started with 6 Amanos and 6 red cherries.  Now I have 40+ shrimps.  Is this kind of color variation normal?  Photos would take time; would they help?

Edited by Cajun Charlie

Photos would definitely help. I'm not an expert on cardinias, but I think some of the black varieties spring from the red cherry lines. Maybe someone gave you some culls from a breeding project. There could also be some genetics from blue lines in there, which would cause a lot of brown offspring in my limited experience. Also, I think shrimplets can appear darker than they will in their adult form. 

Amanos will not cross with the cardinias.

Edited by BrettD

It seems that my black shrimp is very shy.  I see it maybe once or twice a week.  Yesterday when my wife and I were looking at the tank, I told her I see it.  As I was digging into my pocket for the phone to take a picture, she pointed at it, about two inches from the tank.  Every critter in the area scattered.  😞

Anyway, I decided to post the photos I have, in case anybody has any similar experiences in color variation, and might be able to share some insights.

1.  Two-tone

2., 3., 4.  Brown-ish

5.  Red Cherry

6.  Clear-ish

7.  Plain Amano

8., 9.  Yellow

_2tone_IMG_0533.jpg

_Brown-ish_IMG_0523.jpg

_Brown-ish2_IMG_0520.jpg

_Brown-ish3_IMG_0518.jpg

_Cherry_IMG_0528.jpg

_Clear-ish_IMG_0532.jpg

_Plain_Amano_IMG_0535.jpg

_Yellow_IMG_0531.jpg

_Yellow2_IMG_0529.jpg

Edited by Cajun Charlie
add description of each photo

All the photos you posted look like neocaridinas to me (i.e. different colors of cherry shrimp). Amanos can't successfully breed in freshwater tanks. The eggs need to hatch in brackish water for the offspring to develop. Neocaridinas, of course, can reproduce like rabbits in freshwater. Pretty much can't stop them. LOL And the colors will cross readily. The brown one is closest to the color found in nature. The others are color variations that have been specially bred for.

BTW, here's a couple of shots of my Amanos. They all look the same in coloring.

20210416_131722.jpg

20210613_104027.jpg