Hello from Florida's Space Coast!

clovenpine

Hi folks, greetings from central Florida ! I'm just getting back into the hobby after many years away, and I'm stunned and gratified to see how much new information is available to fishkeepers. Back in my day...:)

I currently keep a 30g platy tank on my screen porch outside and a 10g betta palace in my bedroom. I'm hoping to upgrade the platys to a 55, move the 30 inside, and possibly start a breeding project sometime in the next year. I'm on a well and my water is SUPER hard, so that limits my fish and plant options. Good thing I love live bearers!

I'm looking forward to participating in the community here and learning a lot. My current annoyance is mineral deposits on my tank glass, so if anyone has tips toaybe bind the minerals in the water column I'd be happy to hear them!

Hi @clovenpine and welcome!

I live in Central Florida now, but spent many years in Palm Bay. I'm not sure where on the space coast you are, but the water was just the worst! I don't envy you at all trying to clean up those deposits.  I'm sure you've probably tried vinegar, but if not, do that. I'd try white and apple cider. White vinegar is great for glass, but I've learned a/c vinegar has some pretty awesome properties and might do the trick if the white doesn't. 

After that, I'm wondering about a Magic Eraser (a Mr. Clean product). I don't know if I'd use it in a tank that already had fish in it, but I think it would be ok on an empty tank or one you were tearing down and could rinse completely clean afterwards. 

So glad to have you here. Hopefully, somebody else will chime in with some other ideas. 🙂 
Alesha

Thanks Alesha! I'm in Titusville on the north end of Brevard county. I've actually tried a magic eraser (the original pads are fish-safe, I checked 😁), but it didn't do much. The only thing that will really help is a razor paint scraper, so I use it when the glass starts getting really yucky. I even have mineral deposits on my plant leaves!  

I don't seem to have the problem in my 10g, which I bought new a couple of months ago. The 30g where the problem is is at least 10 years old, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? A different kind of glass or tiny scratches for the guck to collect in? At any rate, it doesn't seem to bother the fish so I guess I just have to live with it.

We kept a tank in PB for a bit, and yes, the watermarks from regular evaporation were permanent...never could get them off. And the tank was used, so maybe you're on to something with the age of the glass, small scratches, etc. Do you have a water softener? I'm wondering if that is causing the issue or would help the issue...something to consider, I guess.  Sorry I couldn't be more help. Hopefully, someone else will.  Again, welcome! 🙂