Tank Cycling

MICRO-TANKER

Hello All,

I recently bought a new 55 Gal. tank. Its all set up with 2 filters (55 Gal Tidal & 45 Gal Ziss) and i started the cycling process. I added Fritz Fish Fuel Ammonia, it spiked the tank to 4 PPM. I also added the bacteria to the tank. Usually when I set up my tanks i can clearly see Nitrites &\ Nitrates in my Test results. However after about 3.5 weeks the ammonia has lowered down to almost .25 or lower yet i never saw any Nitrite Nitrates which i think is kind of odd.. There is wood in the tank which seems to have algae on it but I am not sure if I should start spiking the tank again to re-cycle it or not.. Has anyone experienced this?

* I know I have to wait until ammonia hits 0PPM but with no Nitrite/Nitrate results I'm wondering if the tank has actually cycled correctly.

20220316_123941.jpg.4ba08235c38ca1c58b3ec24c3d96215a.jpg

*Also water still has lots of tannin in the water from the wood, that is why the greenish brown color is present in tank.

Hello @AndEEss I initially had it at 4 PPM, I am going to put more in if needed, but the whole point of my post was that it's strange no Nitrites or Nitrates have shown yet.

Directions Below:

The Fritz Fishless Fuel formula contains 40 mg/mL TAN (total ammonia nitrogen.)

Dosage / Instructions:

To bring aquarium to 2 ppm ammonia: Add 4 drops per One U.S. Gallon (3.78 L) or 1 tsp (5 ml) per 25 U.S. Gallons (94.6 L)

Fritz Fishless Fuel Ammonia Solution is to be used when performing a fishless cycle. Add required amount of Fritz Fishless Fuel Liquid Ammonia Solution to reach desired ammonia level (Fritz recommends 2-4 ppm). After adding ammonia add FritzZyme Nitrifying Bacteria and test daily. Once ammonia and nitrite levels are reading zero, livestock can be safely added. Continue to monitor ammonia and nitrite on a regular basis.

Edited by MICRO-TANKER

If you have algae, which it appears you do, the algae might have been consuming the small amounts of nitrate that were produced.

The idea behind over-feeding with ammonia is to a) establish a robust BB colony and b) produce a clear nitrate spike that shows that the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate chain is complete.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2022 at 12:08 PM, MICRO-TANKER said:

Hi @AndEEss,

Yes im going to add more bacteria later on in the day. I hadn't really thought of the algae having an impact on my Nitrites. Thanks

I don't know how much good that will do. The bacteria in your filter will reproduce on their own if they are fed. If they aren't, they won't. They need a food source, and adding more bacteria without more food won't help.

On 3/16/2022 at 1:04 PM, MICRO-TANKER said:

Hello @AndEEss

I am not quite following what your saying. The bacteria feeds off the ammonia.. 

Yes, bacteria feeds off of ammonia. But you are saying that you want to add BACTERIA, not ammonia. Look at the post I quoted.

So, instead of feeding your existing, healthy, established bacteria, you want to add bacteria, and not feed it.

Personally, I don't understand the point of adding bacteria but not food.

The bacteria breaks down Some forms of nitrogen this called the nitrogen cycle. Many people will add a small amount of food to tank to help the bacteria continue to multiply. Nitrates, nitrates, and ammonia are all forms of nitrogen.

“With 78%, gaseous nitrogen (N2) is the main component of air, however, plants cannot use it in this form. The most important forms of nitrogen usable by plants are nitrate (NO3-) and ammonium (NH4+), moreover they can make use of urea (CH4N2O). The nitrogen cycle plays an important role in terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. This cycle describes the conversion of organically bound nitrogen, urea, ammonium, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate to gaseous nitrogen, partially performed by bacterial activity. In the aquarium, rests of animal food and plant parts degrade and release ammonium, as do animal wastes. Various bacteria convert it to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. These organic nitrogen sources, however, are frequently insufficient in tanks with low numbers of animals and strong plant growth.” Cited:https://www.aqua-rebell.de/nutrient-nitrogen

hope this helps some there is more there.  I have found that the bacteria that grows naturally on you filtration, substrate, and items in the tank is the best. You can add bacteria but that often Uses nitrogen to fast not allowing long-term bacterial growth you end up with highs and lows of nitrogen when the nitrogen is low the bacteria doesn’t multiply 

hope this helps

On 3/16/2022 at 11:08 AM, MICRO-TANKER said:

Hi @AndEEss,

Yes im going to add more bacteria later on in the day. I hadn't really thought of the algae having an impact on my Nitrites. Thanks

I would simply keep the ammonia up to 2ppm or more even and let nature take it's course. A little fish food wouldn't hurt either. 

Forget about the bottled bacteria.  

Then just watch for nitrites then nitrates. 

• Like 1