Confused

Khole new fish

I noticed that they have orange stripes on the tale legs and other places but it is just two of them if there was a spike in the water wouldn't it be all three and i checked the water is good i did a 30% water change this week so it can not be that, when i feed my fish they come out and eat with them .

Food can change color. My ghost shrimp get orangey if I feel a lot of brine. Some foods can change color. Here is one of my you can see that it just ate that’s the color of the food. Mine will have some change in color I’m not sure why all the time. I will say that the only one that starts to turn pink dead but my your pink and my orange are more similar. I hope it’s benign 63066FCB-35FD-459A-93AD-86A506C9E549.jpeg.7c455ebbeca6907822f55aa3f3b16c76.jpeg

On 3/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Either that or they are about ready to molt. 

I was thinking this as well, @Khole new fish, because most of my shrimp go into hiding when they molt. I have seen an amano shrimp just before a molt one time, and it did look a little milky. I know (or assume) it molted because after it disappeared for a while, I saw the shed drifting around the bottom.

Their shells get pretty pale as they grow and eat. The lighter color is from newly molted shrimp.

As long as their behavior is normal and no weird behaviors, keep an eye on the tank and look for a molt over the next couple of days.

Ghost shrimp tend to molt pretty frequently and to stress molt as well just based on the way they are treated from big box stores.

If you're looking for a shrimp for the tank long term (not for food) than I'd highly suggest getting some amanos. The same shrimp in terms of visuals, for the most part, but they will last a long while longer.

But, either way you look at it, I believe.the shrimp are fine and doing well. Keep an eye out and hopefully all is well.

If need be, I can post some pics of my Amazon which just molted and the ones that will soon if you would like a comparison. Just let me know.

• Like 1