Plant ID

On 3/15/2022 at 9:01 PM, ScottieB said:

Mmm anubias? I don’t think so. Your right about the rhizome. 

melon sword would be my guess or some sorta Amazon sword at least. Could be a cryptocoryn too but check the Coop website for something similar. 

I’m inclined to agree. It looks like a crypt or a sword. The camera focused on your hand so the plant looks a bit blurry. Can you take another pic?

100% some kind of sword.  Which one it is, I can’t say, yet.  Maybe with more growth I could give you a better guess.  I could list a bunch of “it isn’t” and a few “it could be’s”.  Melon is a good guess from @ScottieB, can’t rule out a young Amazon sword, but still leaves open ozelot, and any number of others when you take into account variability due to culture conditions. Give its roots something to feed on, moderate light, and prepare for some growth after it gets settled in.  Post pics again in a few months and we’ll all take another guess.

Ok, I planted it in the substrate and ordered some root tabs. I didn't have any cause I've never had a plant need it. One question. I've seen some people saying root tabs aren't invert safe. Then again, I think some people are too overly cautious with that sometimes. Also, one person who said that is clearly not using them right and was having them dissolve in the water. Are they safe for my snails?  

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 3/16/2022 at 8:29 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Ok, I planted it in the substrate and ordered some root tabs. I didn't have any cause I've never had a plant need it. One question. I've seen some people saying root tabs aren't invert safe. Then again, I think some people are too overly cautious with that sometimes. Also, one person who said that is clearly not using them right and was having them dissolve in the water. Are they safe for my snails?  

I believe the issue depends on what they contain (different brands have different ingrediants). Some explicitly state they are shrimp safe. If they contain copper they are definitely not safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used both the Aquarium Co-Op, and Seachem root tabs on my plants and my Amano shrimp, Blue Dream shrimp, nerites, bladder snails, and unfortunately even the hitchhiker Malaysian trumpet snails and never had a problem. I can't even count anymore how many Blue Dream shrimp I have in my jungle.

On 3/17/2022 at 4:01 PM, Jungle Fan said:

I've used both the Aquarium Co-Op, and Seachem root tabs on my plants and my Amano shrimp, Blue Dream shrimp, nerites, bladder snails, and unfortunately even the hitchhiker Malaysian trumpet snails and never had a problem. I can't even count anymore how many Blue Dream shrimp I have in my jungle.

That helps ty cause those were the 2 brands I was looking at! I did see seachem has a small amount of copper in it but I have a feeling it's not enough to do damage. 

• Like 1