Fluval Spec 2.6 gal light and Hair Algae Growth?

Howdy! I've been a bit busy and haven't updated my own journal thread (a bit overwhelmed with so much to update!) but I finally have my Fluval Spec 2.6 gal cycled, and even with just 6 hours on a day I am having issues with algae, particularly hair algae, I don't care about the diatom algae but I'm getting stringy hair algae all over my plants!

Granted, it is very lightly planted at the moment, so I haven't been adding ferts often (some anubias nana petite on wood and a narrow leaf sag cutting from my established 20 gal). 

My theory is that because the stock fluval spec light is so freaking blue that its causing some issues? i had these same issues in a Spec V that I had up for quite a while, and it was a never ending battle. Any Tips? I want to get this under control before I invest more into plants and stock the tank.

Yes I've had these problems every time I rescape or reset my fluval spec 5. I would agree the blue lighting defentley plays a roll in it, but also the light is really freaking bright. 

Everytime the problem comes up, I turn the light off for a few days and during these few days gravel vac as much algae out as possible. Sometimes Ill even do a large 75% waterchange. Once the light is turned back on, I put paper on the lid to dim it. Of course there are pleanty other diy dimming light methods, however this is the one I choose.

Heres a thread @Fish Folk posted with another cheap diy light dimmer method:

I really dont like the fluval spec lights, I'm replacing mine with a Fluval 3.0 nano thats been lying around. 

20220228_163537.jpg.6114386d1b65ed34cd291d6f1a8bc57b.jpg

On 3/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, FrozenFins said:

Yes I've had these problems every time I rescape or reset my fluval spec 5. I would agree the blue lighting defentley plays a roll in it, but also the light is really freaking bright. 

Everytime the problem comes up, I turn the light off for a few days and during these few days gravel vac as much algae out as possible. Sometimes Ill even do a large 75% waterchange. Once the light is turned back on, I put paper on the lid to dim it. Of course there are pleanty other diy dimming light methods, however this is the one I choose.

Heres a thread @Fish Folk posted with another cheap diy light dimmer method:

I really dont like the fluval spec lights, I'm replacing mine with a Fluval 3.0 nano thats been lying around. 

20220228_163537.jpg.6114386d1b65ed34cd291d6f1a8bc57b.jpg

Oh, thats a good idea to try and filter out some of the light! This tank was one I snagged on ultra mega clearance about a yeear ago at my petco, it was $13 brand new!!! So I'm heitant to put too much money into making it work for me, At that point I would just set up a standard 5.5 or 10 and get all the equipment that I wish to have! 

On 3/17/2022 at 5:45 PM, Streetwise said:

@missriss126, do you have any window light?

No, Surprisingly this tank is on my metal shelving unit and gets zero sunlight .