Hygger HG-957 Light settings

AndreaW

I would not use those again. Fertilizers I have a good knowledge of.  I have a degree in agronomy and rand the maintenance side of top golf course as well as some polo fields and football.  Being a fine power is normally meant s that there is no coating on the one each piece. Coated fertilizers are thicker than a piece not coded because it would be like taking grips that were on that were pretty close to the same size and then dipping each one in chocolate and sometimes it’s just chocolate and will say that the software for now and sometimes it’s chocolate with orange and the orange is plastic so that’s why the coded is thicker it has a layer chocolate around it now they do this several times and not every piece has much chocolate is the rest so they dissolve a different periods of time. and sometimes they use chocolate with orange flavoring it will say that orange flavoring is plastic or a polymer. The difference is the one that we said was just chocolate and the chocolate was sulfur then becomes instant release and all the nitrogen is release and available to the plant right not. 
Then take the the orange chocolate not might get Tipton chocolate more than once or might just get a certain thickness that they put on each piece but the difference between that and the Soffer coded is it a polymer coated won’t crack or break under normal handling conditions whereas the sulfur covered can break pretty easily eat more easily than you think. So when you tell me that it was a powder that would scare me right away just because I cannot that almost guarantees that the material the nitrogen what we’re worried about is not coded with anything and becomes instant nitrogen to your plants along with the other medication I mean not medication but nutrients  so the powder tells me the what’s the capsule melts everything is going to be available this plant and the capsule problem I don’t know what brand it is I would love to know what brand it is because I think it probably sells well because it would create greens up your plants probably pretty quick if you get the tablet in  and it gives the illusion of fertilizing us for however long they say where in fact you probably can guarantee it’s not working like that it’s already use this nutrients in a couple of days. if you can message me about what brand it was if you know I would love to do a video about it and illustrated it is best I can because I would love to get one either buy another brand or at least imitate watch what it looks like inside and show what a lot of the other ones have like Osmocote (Fertilizer brand it’s normally use like your house plants and they actually use a version of it on golf courses but it’s not called the same thing but it is the same product. I hope this helps and please send me a message and the name of the ones of the ones you used. Sorry about the the algae bloom.

First, let me clarify that this was a 37 gallon kit with a crappy LED hood and a barely adequate HOB rated for 40 gallons. I added a large ACO pre-filter sponge and replace the cartridge with as much ACO 15ppi sponge I could fit. I was also running a UGF driven by airstones. The tank was populated with wild caught mosquito fish, bluefin killifish, least killifish, and various species of snails from the canal in my backyard. I also harvested various plants from the canal. I did my best to remove algae from the plants, but there was still a fair amount transferred into the tank. This setup was always on the edge, with several outbreaks of algae. It was never really balanced. I even pulled all the plants and replaced them with store bought plants, but the algae already had taken up permanent residence. The gang of mosquito fish, being the thugs that they are, setting out to murder all other fish species in the tank, then turning on themselves did not help with the balance.

To this situation, I added the ACO root tabs. They do not claim anywhere to be a slow release formula. The recommended dosage is once a month. They are designed to be placed deep in the substrate and dissolve, placing the fertilizer where the plants can get it. I used them for several months with better results on the store bought plants and no change in my back and forth war with algae. Then one particularly bad morning, I had trouble placing one of the tablets and after several attempts, the capsule burst and dispersed the contents into the water column. The ACO description of their root tabs indicates that they will not cause any harm if the contents are released into the water column. I did have a major algae bloom that week. I cannot say with certainty that the root tabs were the cause, but I cannot discount them playing a part. Who knows if I would have that algae bloom without the root tab incident? I cannot explain my other algae blooms... I stopped using the root tabs, but I still got algae blooms after.

I cannot dispute the claim that the root tab released into the water column did not do any harm, but I do feel that a UGF (driven by air or by powerhead) will disperse the contents of the root filter much further than in a gravel bed without the UGF. I also feel that with the UGF eventually dispersing the root tab into the water column, I am better off dosing just the water column directly instead of double dosing it. This is all just my opinion. 

Edited by Widgets
Stupid typos

Back on topic.

Up until a few weeks ago,  I have been using the light with the factory default settings, just setting the local time. From the sequence of pictures, you can see how the plants have progressed.

13 Jan

20220113_070944.jpg.225ef3ec5f91b96aa3338729382b355e.jpg

25 Jan

20220125_130311.jpg.1eb34682a142e4a2baa9f18953f7333e.jpg

11 Feb

20220211_074159.jpg.a3174c35b5ddff7556c291621791d223.jpg

8 Mar

20220308_120007.jpg.6f1004e66ccde5737b223ba5ca5c9423.jpg

15 Mar (2 days after trimming)

20220315_190106.jpg.94d3e6121b508f43ae21f131d5cd3fac.jpg

20 Mar (before trimming)

20220320_090556.jpg.72c2cc25f73f48b006496858762951e3.jpg

Edited by Widgets
More pictures
  • Love 1

I use the Hygger 957 on both of my tanks (a 10g nano, and a 20high nano).  Both tanks are heavily planted with a combo of java ferns, swords, crypts, anubias, buce,  christmas tree moss, jungle vals, red flame, pearl weed, bacopa, dwarf sag, water sprite, and a banana plant for funsies.  At first, I used the preprogrammed timing but found it to be too much ( staghorn algae!!!).  I've finally settled on a simple schedule of 8 hours at 60% for the 20G (it does get some ambient sunlight) and 6 hours at 60% for the ten gallon.  I don't bother with any of the colored light settings or the ramp up/down.  Many many people kept fish for decades without fancy light systems, no need to complicate matters.  All of the plants are doing well and the algae is under control.   The fish (livebearers) are breeding like crazy so I don't think they are stressed by the daily light change.  

• Like 2

I've been running on Standard Mode with a modified start and end time, overlapping the daylight/moonlight settings. It comes on in the morning at 7:11am and switches over to moonlight around 6:00/6:30pm and then moonlight turns off at 9:00pm.

I'm getting pretty good plant growth, but also some diatoms forming (expected, since I disturbed my cycle re-scaping the tank). GSA isn't growing yet, but I should start getting it again soon.

I switched over to Manual Mode today and set it up with the following:

215426024_ScreenShot2022-03-28at2_48_40PM.png.4deb5594763981772576f89ac221505c.png

If I'm figuring it correctly, I should be able to see the changes happening in the column on the right, correct? At the end of L6, it should fade from 10% to off, right?

My son likes the light coming on with his alarm at 7:11am (his time choice). I want him to be able to see the tank, but not have bright light for a couple hours, concentrating the brightest light in the middle of the day. In the evening hours, we go back down to 20% again, so he can see, but to keep algae growth under control, and then 10% while he's getting ready for bed and going to sleep. We will see how he likes the white light at 10% compared to the blue light. To me, moonlight is more white than blue, anyway.

I figure I'll try this and see how everything grows. I know my Scarlet Temple needs some brighter light, so hopefully 3 hours at 100% plus 4 hours at 80% will be enough. It's looking a bit sad now, so I'm watching the new growth to see if I can make it happier. Everything else is doing it's typical melting or growing as expected for new plants. 

• Love 1

@AndreaW I have had some other priorities taking my time, so I haven't worked on my light schedules much. Your post has got me thinking about it again.

I expect the transition at the end of L6 to start at 10:00pm and run to 10:15pm.

Your table has some typos in the second column for L5 and L6, showing 3:00 and 3:30 respectively.

My dilemma is having the three tanks in the same room and wanting them to somewhat transition together. The 20 long  being shorter than the 37g, will need lower light intensity across the board. My 10g QT being bare (other than some Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus trimmings) also gives different lighting effects. I will have to experiment with this some tonight.

@Widgets ~ You are right! I forgot to update that column, but went through and hopefully corrected everything. For L6, if I have it go from 20% to 10% at 8:00, would it occur in the 15 minutes prior to 8:00, or the 15 minutes after?

Also, when they turn off at the end of L6, does it dim down to 0% in the last 15 minutes or just shut off?

Since it's in my son's room, I see it as I walk past more than anything. I'm not about to camp out in his room for the day to observe all the transitions, but so far it seems to be working correctly.

697978796_ScreenShot2022-03-28at5_07_14PM.png.91bf07964bf09072dead3b9e1c884c6d.png

It would be hard adjusting for all the variables with multiple tanks in the same room, especially with different setups and depths.

@PaigeIs ~ I really like being able to adjust intensity. I always hated having the light suddenly turn on/off when the room was darker, even though that's how it's been for many years. I have had this tank running for 20 years and only put it on a timer a few months ago! 

The biggest reason I like the ramp up/down is that I can have it come on the same time my son's alarm goes off and it gradually increases to help wake him up, and I can have it really low at night to act as a nightlight. 

I've got Water Sprite in my ACO shopping cart and the Pearl Weed looks really cute too! How are they growing for you?

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 7:22 PM, AndreaW said:

For L6, if I have it go from 20% to 10% at 8:00, would it occur in the 15 minutes prior to 8:00, or the 15 minutes after?

Also, when they turn off at the end of L6, does it dim down to 0% in the last 15 minutes or just shut off?

Think of it this way: the first 15 minutes of every state is a ramp from the previous level to the new level. I am expecting the first 15 minutes of 0% after L6 to be a ramp to 0%.

I have all my lights setup with your profile, with the times adjusted slightly. For the 20 long ant 10g, I adjusted the 80% to 60%, and the 100% to 80%. With the 10% steps, it will be hard to get it completely balanced.

I now understand what you are asking and how my statements confused you. On my 2 new lights where auto mode is skipping the sunset phase, I had reported an abrupt change from L6 to L7. It is a similar situation as your son's room. I am in the room, but have not camped on the light to see the exact transition. I notice the tank darker during the first 15 minutes of L7, then notice it brighter later on in L7. Now that I have all three lights on the same DIY schedule I can see how the new and old lights work.

When you were using auto mode, did your light skip sunset mode?

Edited by Widgets
More detail

On 3/28/2022 at 5:49 PM, Widgets said:

When you were using auto mode, did your light skip sunset mode?

I think I noticed the lights getting dimmer before the moonlight came on but didn't pay enough attention to notice exactly what was happening.

On 3/28/2022 at 7:53 PM, AndreaW said:

I think I noticed the lights getting dimmer before the moonlight came on but didn't pay enough attention to notice exactly what was happening.

My lights that are acting up would ramp from 100% to off, skipping the hour plateau at 50%. I think moonlight phase was starting early, but it could have just been part of the dim white light.

On 3/28/2022 at 5:58 PM, Widgets said:

My lights that are acting up would ramp from 100% to off, skipping the hour plateau at 50%. I think moonlight phase was starting early, but it could have just been part of the dim white light.

think I was getting the plateau. If I have time, I'll switch them back and adjust the time manually to test and see.

On 3/28/2022 at 8:00 PM, AndreaW said:

think I was getting the plateau. If I have time, I'll switch them back and adjust the time manually to test and see.

Don't worry now. Let me see how the DIY mode works on the good and bad lights. If there is a difference, we can figure out if yours is like my new lights or the old light.

I had a partial success.

On the old light that is operating normally, I had the duration of L7 set to 0 (L7 end time = L6 end time). After the L6 end time, the light was still on. I did not sit there to see the step down, but I believe it is operating properly in DIY mode.

On the new lights that skip sunset mode, I had the duration of L7 at 1 hour. The level was 0%. After the L6 end time, the lights were on dim and in blue mode. I changed the duration of L7 to 0, but I will have to wait until tomorrow night to check again.

I liked the 100%/80% and 80%/60% levels, but found the 20% and 10% to be too dim for my evening viewing pleasure. That said I am not trying to go to sleep with this light in my bedroom. I am probably going to adjust on 40% and 20%.

I like it, but now I need to see how my plants like it. I was starting to grow staghorn and hair algae in my tanks. I've been overfeeding due to fry in one tank and a runt Harlequin Rasbora in the other. The Florida Flag Fish are doing a great job with knocking the algae down. I may have to keep growing algae in my Community Therapy tank.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 4:22 PM, AndreaW said:

@Widgets ~ You are right! I forgot to update that column, but went through and hopefully corrected everything. For L6, if I have it go from 20% to 10% at 8:00, would it occur in the 15 minutes prior to 8:00, or the 15 minutes after?

Since it's in my son's room, I see it as I walk past more than anything. I'm not about to camp out in his room for the day to observe all the transitions, but so far it seems to be working correctly.

697978796_ScreenShot2022-03-28at5_07_14PM.png.91bf07964bf09072dead3b9e1c884c6d.png

It would be hard adjusting for all the variables with multiple tanks in the same room, especially with different setups and depths.

@PaigeIs ~ I really like being able to adjust intensity. I always hated having the light suddenly turn on/off when the room was darker, even though that's how it's been for many years. I have had this tank running for 20 years and only put it on a timer a few months ago! 

The biggest reason I like the ramp up/down is that I can have it come on the same time my son's alarm goes off and it gradually increases to help wake him up, and I can have it really low at night to act as a nightlight. 

I've got Water Sprite in my ACO shopping cart and the Pearl Weed looks really cute too! How are they growing for you?

The water sprite and pearl weed are growing like ...  weeds?  LOL  I've have water sprite floating in one tank and planted in the other.  All of it started with one plant.  Now I have to trim/purge some of it every week.  The pearl weed is growing but has become "leggy" for lack of a better term.  I need to trim some of the longer stalks and plant them in the substrate to get a fuller look, but that's a task for another day.

• Like 2

On all three lights, setting the end time for L7 to be the same as the start time (0 duration) caused the lights to stay on all night at the L6 level.

I set the L7 duration to 1 minute. The lights shut off, but I missed the transition. 

How is your schedule working with your lights?

On 3/30/2022 at 8:21 PM, Widgets said:

On all three lights, setting the end time for L7 to be the same as the start time (0 duration) caused the lights to stay on all night at the L6 level.

Weird!

I have it mine set to turn off at 10:00pm. Last night I went down at 10:45pm and they were still on at 10%....the L6 setting. Kind of like it had got stuck.

My first thought is that I had messed with them so maybe I accidentally overrode the DIY settings. I haven't touched them tonight so I'll see if it happens again. 

What I really need to do is set timers on my phone for 1 minute before the transition so I can run down and catch it in action.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 6:56 PM, AndreaW said:

Hygger 957 Light Schedule:

• 7am-10am - 20%
  • 10am-12pm - 80%
  • 12pm-3pm - 100%
  • 3pm-5pm - 80%
  • 5pm-8pm - 20%
  • At this point, it seems my lights get stuck at 20% until 9-10pm, when I manually turn them off. I need to figure out what is messed up in the programming, since it's supposed to reduce to 10% and turn off by 10pm.

Sorry that I did not follow up on this. The one minute duration for L7 is working close enough for me.

My settings for my 37g (tall tank): (Unfortunately the mobile website doesn't give all the fancy edit options)

L1 6:15am - 8:00am @60%

L2 8:00am - 12:00pm @80%

L3 12:00pm - 3:00pm @100%

L4 3:00pm - 6:00pm @80%

L5 6:00pm - 8:00pm @50%

L6 8:00pm - 10:00pm @20%

L7 10:00pm - 10:01pm @0%

L8 10:01pm - 6:14am @0%

At 10:00pm, the light switches from white to blue and possibly starts a 15 minute ramp down to off, but at 10:01pm it shuts off.

Edited by Widgets
Stupid typos
  • Love 1

@Widgets ~ I think I'm going to try a factory reset and redo my DIY schedule to see if there is something I messed up on. I'm actually fine with it stuck as I like to leave some light on until I feed the fish at night (as long as algae is managed).

I think I'll copy your L7 & L8 settings and see if that works for me. Does L8 let you overlap L7 or does L8 start at 10:01?

On 4/5/2022 at 12:18 AM, AndreaW said:

@Widgets ~ I think I'm going to try a factory reset and redo my DIY schedule to see if there is something I messed up on. I'm actually fine with it stuck as I like to leave some light on until I feed the fish at night (as long as algae is managed).

I think I'll copy your L7 & L8 settings and see if that works for me. Does L8 let you overlap L7 or does L8 start at 10:01?

Segment L1 lets you select the intensity, start time, and end time.

Segments L2 to L7 let you select the intensity and end time. The start time is the end time of the previous segment.

Segment L8 lets you select the intensity. The start time is the end time of segment L7. The end time is one minute before the start time of L1. (I fixed my typo in the post above)

I have done the factory reset several times for a quick reset. It has not done anything to fix the problem with my lights, but did get me back the default schedule, to start programming again.

Edited by Widgets
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

My apologies if it's bad manners to comment on an old post, but I learned a lot from this forum and wanted to give back.

The Hygger 957 seems to be a light made with really decent hardware but crappy firmware.  The programming is quirky and the manual is of limited help.  Therefore, I've created my own unofficial manual that I'm here to share.  The file is world-writable, so feel free to add to what I have:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UO0M_lc7RGGwJxZlrzvCb9I7OwnTuZXLuZSf2WNRb2s/edit?usp=sharing

• Thanks 1