Upload photo temporary fix [bug report]

Bug report:

occassionally on upload a photo will be flipped upside down (180 degrees) or on rare occasion 90 degrees

Appears to be more common on landscape oriented photos

possible fixes:

- crop the photo in phone or on computer slightly using the crop tool

- flip photo on phone or computer 180 degrees, when uploaded it will flip again to correct orientation.

I never had issues with this until about February of this year where ~60% of my photos would flip. I have been correcting using the crop method. I have noticed this occurring on my current phone (iphone X pro), old phone (LG V30 ThinQ plus), and camera (Fuji XP 140).

If you have issues with this occurring please let me know your device and possible fixes. I can update my post with different fixes, so members do not have to go searching. And the technologically inclined let me know if this info is good or if you need other information for why it’s happening on upload so that a fix may be rolled out.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
Fatfingered the number pad
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 9:23 PM, Atitagain said:

how would cropping fix the problem (how does this make any sense?)

I will make a suggestion, but I don't really know either.  I suspect @Streetwise is far more qualified than I to weigh in.

That said, I my guess would be cropping the photo works like rotating it.  Both are modifications to the photo that are then saved with these modifications.  For whatever reason, the file that has been saved in this way now uploads with the proper orientation.  That's all I've got in terms of an answer though.  Sorry.

• Like 1

Make sure when you take phone photos, that the lens is always on the high side of the phone, even if you rotate. This means that there are two valid orientations.

I only have occasional issues with top-down photos where the phone is basically flat, and happened to tilt it a little the wrong way.

I usually rotate and crop to square things up before posting.

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 7:01 AM, Streetwise said:

Make sure when you take phone photos, that the lens is always on the high side of the phone, even if you rotate.

That's always true for me.  I tend to go landscape most often anyhow.

In my case at least, the photo is properly oriented on my laptop when downloaded from my phone there, and only goes sideways when it gets uploaded to the forum.  I then delete it from the forum, got back and rotate it, save it, re-upload, and the problem is gone.  It only started happening in the past few weeks for me. 

Has their been an update to the software?  Just grasping at straws.  I don't really the inner-workings of the computers, like you do, sir. 

• Like 1

Are all the folks having image orientation issues using an iPhone? Apple has optimized the picture taking process by storing the orientation data in an EXIF tag instead of the more time consuming process of actually rotating the pixels of the image. If the EXIF data is deleted (or gets dropped) along the way, the image will be in the wrong orientation. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 6:02 AM, Widgets said:

Are all the folks having image orientation issues using an iPhone? Apple has optimized the picture taking process by storing the orientation data in an EXIF tag instead of the more time consuming process of actually rotating the pixels of the image. If the EXIF data is deleted (or gets dropped) along the way, the image will be in the wrong orientation. 

It doesn’t appear to be an Apple compatibility issue as I also upload with my HP Pavilion and my desktop computer (uses adobe photo pro). I come from a tech-y family but I don’t know much past error reporting and basic fixes.

I just wanted to flag the issue

We do have a privacy setting enabled, but it has been on for the life of the forum:

"Sensitive EXIF data will be automatically stripped from uploaded images in order to ensure sensitive details (such as GPS geolocation data from images taken with mobile phones) is not retained"

I feel like when I am going from Photos on my iPhone, or dragging from the Photos app on my Mac, the Photos app must be handling any conversion for me. I can't seem to get an upside down image, whether I shoot in JPEG or HEIF.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 6:02 AM, Widgets said:

This.  Though I think some or all androids do that too.

My guess is that the forum software, or browser, or ??? is trying to protect users too aggressively by purging all the metadata.  This seems like too amateur of a mistake for a browser maker or apple or google to make, but who knows.

Edited by CT_
  • Like 1

I'm having this issue frequently now with my Samsung Galaxy flip 3. It started happening a few weeks ago on all of my vertically oriented photos. I didn't make any changes to my phone or photo settings. If I upload them to my computer and add them to posts it's still the same issue. I've resorted to using the snipping tool and uploading 'snips' of the photos.

I'm running the most up to date version of Android on phone (that has been released for Samsung models):Screenshot_20220320-094051_Settings.jpg.7b1c0067428efe97e2f3cb27abd4040b.jpg

On 3/20/2022 at 12:10 PM, Streetwise said:

I found a thread about this:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/459118-ios-photos-are-uploaded-upside-down/

I’m on mobile, so I can’t look at all the system settings.

Feel free to do more searches regarding Invision Community and image rotation or rotated images.

That’s too technical for my smooth brain, is this the software that is used on this forum? It looks very similar and like others have had sporadic issues with this over the last couple years.

Also thank you for looking into this it’s much appreciated! 😊

also @Minanora I see you are a fellow member of the Hive

Edited by Biotope Biologist

In a nutshell, the phone cameras have a native orientation and store rotation information as an EXIF tag. If you rotate the phone to take a picture, the image is recorded sideways with a tag stating how the image needs to be rotated. If the tag is removed from the file the image will be sideways because the rotation data is lost.

The forum software has some settings that impact the handling of this EXIF data. Other forums report that they are configured to handle EXIF properly but are still having rotation issues.

There was also discussion of the use of HEIC image format on the phones. The forum does not support that format, but apparently the browser can convert these images to JPG. This conversion may loose the EXIF rotation data, causing the rotation issue.

There was discussion of using photo editing software to crop or otherwise re-save the image. This new image has the pixel data rotated and does not need an EXIF rotation,  so the upload had the correct orientation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...