Ich on Silver Tip Tetras

Owen Robinson

I had 10 silver tip tetras, 4 corydoras, and a hillstream loch in my 29 gallon. I did a water change but did not treat the tap water that I put in, and that night, about 8 hours later half my fish were dead. That was on a Saturday, and the following Wednesday, ich showed up only on 1 or 2 of the 5 remaining tetras. I have been treating with ich-x that I got from you guys for 7 days and now I am down to 3 tetras who all still have ich. My tank is planted and does not have a heater. To sum up, I have had ich (or what I think is ich) for 7 days and have seen no improvement. Every day i've been doing a 1/3 water change then dosing 3-4 capfuls of ich-x. Today will be my 8th dosage. Hopefully you will have some advice. 

IMG_3057 3.MOV

Nitrite: 0.5-1ppm

Nitrate: 20-40ppm

Ammonia: 0.25ppm

pH: 7.4

Hardness: 8d

KH: 10d

Temp: Not heated/room temp ~70

I don't know off the top of my head what is a good temp for silver tips but I'm thinking thats pretty low on top of that the lower the temp in the aquarium the longer the cycle of life for ich will take at that temp you will be treating for a couple weeks so my first suggestion would be to raise it gradually to at least 78-80 it looks pretty bad though 😞

I treated my tank with Ich-X a month or so ago. It took care of it in a few days. I did however turn my heater up over 80. One other thing I read is that sometimes epistylis can look like ich, I don't recall how close to ich it looked, but maybe google it, or someone here with more experience can advise. Good luck.

I also just noticed your ammonia and nitrite thats going to make it even more difficult try to use something that binds it and makes it temporarily non toxic like Prime or Fritz water conditioner to help the bacteria that died off build back up again.

• Administrators

Likely not using any dechlor killed all your bacteria and burned the gills on your first. I'll fast forward to how I would get through this. 

Heat the tank to roughly 78 to reduce stress and speed up ich life cycle. use ich x once daily with a 50% water change each day. I'd start that today, and I wouldn't be feeding until ammonia and nitrites return to zero.