Sexing Apistogramma cacatuoides

SupersoNick95

Yesterday I went to a local fish farm here in Miami, and bought what I believe is a Male and Female pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides. Idk if they are super red, double red, etc. 

The one with the darker more prominent stripe was sold to me as female, the one with the less pronounced stripe and more colorful finnage was sold to me as a male. 

Also, the one sold to me as a female, while not really discernible through camera, is quite a bit more yellow than the other. 

so far they seem to stick together but they do squabble here and there. Is this normal between sexes? I know it’s very hard to tell their sex when they are young. Mine are only about 1 inch, so they’ve got lots of growing to do. 

E72F875E-EBB1-417B-AC05-DB397CB28B28.jpeg

21D2A63C-3AF7-49B7-B93E-97C388A2936B.jpeg

I believe the first one is a female and 2nd is a male but the male looks pretty young and has some characteristics of a female - bright yellow - dark marks on the face. It might have been a subdominant male from the place where you purchased it.

Also cockatoo are harem breeder so they don't pair up. They might spend time 'together' for safety but they won't as a pair.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, anewbie said:

I believe the first one is a female and 2nd is a male but the male looks pretty young.

I had a feeling that’s what’s going on. Male is a lot smaller but packs way more color. I think the female is just making him know who’s boss hahaha….

for now…

On 3/14/2022 at 9:15 AM, anewbie said:

I believe the first one is a female and 2nd is a male but the male looks pretty young and has some characteristics of a female - bright yellow - dark marks on the face. It might have been a subdominant male from the place where you purchased it.

Also cockatoo are harem breeder so they don't pair up. They might spend time 'together' for safety but they won't as a pair.

Good to know about the harem. Should I stick with just two or should I get one more female? I’m not necessarily interested in breeding them but I also wouldn’t mind.