To Breed or Not to Breed, and Choosing Which Male Guppy

PineSong

I would like to make some more of my male guppies with the flashy body spots and bright double sword tails. They were born to my "whale guppy" ladies and whoever they enjoyed time with at the LFS.

I have some young females from the whale guppies who look just like their moms: a little bright yellow on the tail fin. They also have the long lean body type I prefer.

I'm deciding who to pair them with. I am leaning toward the green and orange guy with the very light double swords,in this vid. I know that green isn't a stable color but I'm hoping the color of the swords will be.

If I decide to breed two females, the blue single lower-sword guy is one option for dad #2, or I could put in a ginga sulphureus male for more of a mixup--they are really dazzling when you see them in real life, not sure it shows up in pics or video.

I know it's a game of chance and that's really most of the fun. Here is a video of my #1 choice and some of the other guys in that tank.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Those are the coolest Lyretail guppy variants I've ever seen! Are all of the male fry from that brood displaying a sword or lyre trail? If so there's a good chance that all of them are from that strain, which means all of the females are likely carriers of that trait as dominant. I'd pick a mom that is the same build and color as Whale and maybe another leaner one. I love, love, love the orange Lyretail boy! I've never seen anything like that! Then the one with the green/blue iridescent body caught my eye as well! Though I love all of those... Maybe keep the lot of non-select Lyretail and other females and put them in a tub over the summer and see what you get. They're just wicked cool!

On 3/13/2022 at 2:37 PM, Minanora said:

Are all of the male fry from that brood displaying a sword or lyre trail?

I'm not sure, I think there is one with just a bottom sword. There are also males of the blue double sword strain I quit breeding in that video, but their tail shape is different--more U shaped, with shorter, blunter  swords that mostly have orange on them and their bodies are pretty uniformly blue with one big black spot or oval on them.

Thanks for appreciating my guppies. I'm in love... and my family members are like "Uh huh, that's a fish. You have a lot of fish". 

• Haha 1

On 3/13/2022 at 2:43 PM, Fish Folk said:

Love it! I’ve got some wild-types who have pretty scissor-tails like that. Not a great video, but here’s what they look like…

Your guys look like a couple of mine who were fathered by red chili endlers, I think. That tail shape is one of my favorites, I am a fan of the small tails because they look so sporty and my red chili endlers really zip around the tank, unlike my Moscow dragging his wedding dress of a tail...

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 11:45 PM, Minanora said:

Exciting! I look forward to seeing the outcome! Chose the leaner bodied female?

I did. I actually chose two of them. I know that will mean another six months of sorting guppy fry for me, lol. I just love those spots and tails.

• Love 1

On 3/15/2022 at 9:48 PM, PineSong said:

Well, it's done. Orange/green guy spent 24 hours in the honeymoon suite with two girlsfrom the same batch. now to wait and see... IMG_7359.jpg.c4e6dc1a92aac85ed010c414a6f7cf1a.jpg

did you at least have some mood music playing for them?🤪

• Haha 1