UV (Ultraviolet) light safe with planted tanks?

Hello: I have a UV light inside my HOB filter for my small hospital/quarantine tank, and it has made the water very clear and I assume clean.  (I turn it off when medicating.)

I'm thinking of adding a UV LIGHT to my main tank which is moderately planted but I haven't found any reliable source confirming or denying whether this is a good combination.  My tank has CO2 & an airstone, and there is a dosing machine for Seachem Flourish & Trace but I could put the UV light on a timer so it's off during the dosing plus a few hours afterwards.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge with UV lights and planted tanks, would you mind sharing?

Thank you.  🙂

I love UV systems.  Any thank that is over 100 gallons should have one.  In smaller tanks I use them with good results as well.  For smaller tanks try using a timer and run for 12 hours, makes the units that don't have a replaceable bulb last longer.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 3:55 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I run mine 24/7. It's probably the best device I put on my high energy tank.

Do you think this is this particularly the reason you have such low tds? And when I say low im comparing your tds to mine. 

On 3/12/2022 at 3:23 PM, JoeQ said:

Do you think this is this particularly the reason you have such low tds? And when I say low im comparing your tds to mine. 

No, I have low TDS because I use RO/DI water. This water is 0 TDS and I build my water to specific parameters. Tap water contains all sorts of things in addition to minerals we want. I simply add Ca, Mg, N,P,K and trace elements. I also make my water on the softer side. This takes very little Ca and Mg.

Also, running 0dKH really helps.

Edited by Mmiller2001

As long as it’s an enclosed light, you can use it in the main tank.  An open UV bulb should not be anywhere that will expose the livestock or the people to UV.  I mention this because some people use exposed bulbs in the sump, but you can’t do that in the tank with inhabitants.  You can cause blindness from retinal damage or cataracts, and skin cancers both in the fish and the humans.

If you are trying to raise any fry, I would not run a UV all the time since fry often need to eat the tiny microorganisms the UV will kill.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 3