Plant deficiency or algae?

Hi everyone,

I am hoping you can help me determine what the issue is with my plants in my 75g. I started the tank in April 2020. Attached is a photo of the healthy tank in September 2021. I noticed the anubias leaves curling/darkening in December and this is what they look like as of yesterday. Every anubias in the tank has this issue. My amazon sword and banana plant are also looking bad, so I wasn't sure if it was nutrient related. Is this some form of algae? I've searched online and can't find a picture similar to this. Nothing rubs off when I touch the leaves. There is some black algae in the sand/front of the glass. The tank is cloudy in the pic because of a recent filter clean, normally the water is clear. 

I did change some rocks in September - could this have contributed to the problems with the leaves?  I have another 20g long that has been running since Sept 2020 with the same rocks that is mostly thriving, including the snails doing better, so I am not sure what is different from each tank. I moved a sword from the 75 to the 20g in Sept 21, and you can see the growth.

Stocking: 2 EBAs, 10 congo tetras, 1 SAE, 2 mystery snails, 1 BN pleco, 7 corydora (had 6 and they bred at some point - noticed the extra cory after it was a few months old) The EBAs have also bred several times. The last successful batch was in September as well. 

Parameters in 75g: ph -7 am-0, ni-0 na-20-40, FX4 filter + large 40+ sponge filter. Fluval 3.0

I do a water change of 50% every 2 weeks. My water is soft- kh-0-1, gh- 3 and I did have issues with the tank dropping to <6 ph in the past but I have put crushed coral in the filter and that has stabilized the ph. I have dosed Easy Green, but not with any regularity because my nitrates are always higher.

I used to have water sprite that was exploding, but over time it slowly died as well. I want to start over, but should I just cut all of the leaves off of the anubias? Java fern, jungle val and crypts have never done well in any of my tanks if that helps. 

Any thoughts are appreciated! 

sept 21 tank_2.jpg

march 22 tank 2.jpg

dec 21 plant.jpg

march 22 plant.jpg

20g sept.jpg

20g march 22 2.jpg

Edited by Marms918
added fluval settings - been this way since April 2020.

Yes, I just measured it this morning. I got it up to 8dGH with equilibrium at one point. Do you have a suggestion for the fertilizer/water change schedule? I have easy iron and easy carbon as well as equilibrium and acid/alkaline buffer. I got my kh up to 4 and gh to 8 at one point using those, but would prefer less chemicals if possible. Should I add more/different plants?

How much coral would you try to maintain in the filter? 

If this was me, I would discontinue the use of crushed coral and Easy Carbon. I would raise GH to 4.5dGH (Equilibrium is just okay, there are better options) and I would leave KH alone. Having 1 or 0dKH is not a problem especially with software fish.

I would increase water changes to 50% per week and dose EG at 18 pumps a week. Possibly more. I would remove as much of the old necrotic leaves as possible while making sure it has a few leaves for energy. As new healthy growth appears, I would remove the remaining necrotic leaves.

Thanks for you advice @mmiller2001! So all of the black leaves are just dead or dying and won't recover?

I have never used the easy carbon, just have it on hand. What do you suggest instead of Equilibrium for the dGH?  

Is it better to dose 9 pumps of EG twice a week. a few pumps a day, or all at once? I really appreciate your help. I took a look at your journal. Beautiful tanks! 

On 3/13/2022 at 6:19 AM, Marms918 said:

Thanks for you advice @mmiller2001! So all of the black leaves are just dead or dying and won't recover?

They will not recover. All efforts should focus on new growth.

I have never used the easy carbon, just have it on hand. What do you suggest instead of Equilibrium for the dGH?

I would use up the equilibrium and after use CaSO4 and MgSO4, can be bought at aquarium fertilizer shops.

Is it better to dose 9 pumps of EG twice a week. a few pumps a day, or all at once? I really appreciate your help. I took a look at your journal. Beautiful tanks! 

I would spread it out over the week. However, life can alter plans so just be sure you get it in the tank. Twice a week is solid option.

And thank you!

Also, adding more plants really really helps.