Fish Room/Basement Heater ???

Moscik81

Hello my fish Friends. Im in process of setting up my 6 tank in the basement. So far everything is running on Coop sponge filter and each tank have heater but i want to switch to “central heater”. During winter times its gets really cold down there and i will like to heat up whole room. Its medium to small size room and im looking for recommendations for best way to heat it up. I have easy access to gas pipes/220v and central heat ducks. Thanks in advance !

I have a similar dilemma but with different circumstances. My fish and reptile room in the apartment is staying right around 70/68. My reptiles and my fish would like it a bit warmer. My girlfriends chinchilla in the living room (which shares a wall) would like it a bit colder. The air conditioning is a indoor/outdoor unit and there’s no vents throughout the apartment. We have it blasting 24/7 to keep it cold in the living room (where it is). I need something that can make my room warmer without heating up the whole apartment. It’s a 3rd floor apartment in Michigan. I’m not sure about hearing, there’s floor radiators but being from Texas Idk how to work them. We’ve had some pretty cold days already, with some mornings being mid 30s. I was thinking of getting a small space heater, but I’m not sure how safe it would be to run long term.

3 hours ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

I have a similar dilemma but with different circumstances. My fish and reptile room in the apartment is staying right around 70/68. My reptiles and my fish would like it a bit warmer. My girlfriends chinchilla in the living room (which shares a wall) would like it a bit colder. The air conditioning is a indoor/outdoor unit and there’s no vents throughout the apartment. We have it blasting 24/7 to keep it cold in the living room (where it is). I need something that can make my room warmer without heating up the whole apartment. It’s a 3rd floor apartment in Michigan. I’m not sure about hearing, there’s floor radiators but being from Texas Idk how to work them. We’ve had some pretty cold days already, with some mornings being mid 30s. I was thinking of getting a small space heater, but I’m not sure how safe it would be to run long term.

Depending on how your heating system is set up, you could set your main thermostat to whatever temp is comfortable for you to live at, then if you want to keep the room with fish and reptiles, keep the door closed and get a small electric heater for the room, one of the Radiator style ones shown above would work fine. That way, that room will stay warm but the rest of the apartment will be at whatever temp you prefer. 

• Thanks 1

Just throwing this out there but avoid electric heat if possible, it's an expensive way to heat a room.

A 1500 watt electric heater is about 5% to 10% the heat a typical house furnace can put out. If you buy one and it only runs 50% of the time that's 540-kwh's per month. And if you have a low electric cost at $0.12 per kwh that's still about $65 a month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

@TheDukeAnumber1that is a very good point. We already have a decent electric bill, do you have a cheaper route in mind that could work? Or is electric really my only option?

In your specific situation it sounds like the only effective way to add heat would be electric. But... good heat management can go a long way, I don't know how those radiators are in the room but if you can leverage the heat from those as best as you can and insulate what you can you can add as little heat as possible by keeping the heat you have.

Two budget friendly options that come to mind that I have used are...

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/radiant-barrier/reflectix-r-3-7-reflective-insulation-16-x-25/st16025/p-1444452049026-c-5778.htm?tid=-1&ipos=1

Which can be used to insulate tank sides or wall areas where you want to radiate the heat back from.

https://www.menards.com/main/hardware/weather-stripping/3m-62w-x-252-long-6-window-indoor-window-film-insulator-kit/2141bw-6/p-1444421742511-c-3624.htm?tid=-1&ipos=1

I use these every year, super worth it, makes a big difference in a room especially if the windows are old and/or drafty.

• Thanks 1