Vote on my Aquascape Driftwood Placement! (Please)

AndreaW

ETA: I think this is the scape I'm going to work with (Option G):

IMG_1114.JPG.38802ac1fce51b822bc14e23ce896fb7.JPG

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I've made templates for my 46G bowfront for reference. There will be taller plants in the back, some attached to the driftwood and around it, and some rocks/pebbles surrounding as well. I would like some open space for tetras and I have a Pleco, Kuhlis and Cories in the tank that I would like lots of space on the bottom.

I've included front/top view of two options. 

Option A:

17C10FC4-2C83-4C83-BC52-E980F116102A.JPG.d44570cffd9586b87df7f808f9cdea91.JPG

Option B:

FB38FFDA-BD5F-4FF6-8512-C7FB9542DEBE.JPG.f823683bcec13e8f3e8331d1b15d91f7.JPG

Please tell me which you like better and why? 

Edited by AndreaW

My vote is the second one

I think from the front view it provides more of the illusion of depth, also in the case of the bowfront you want to take advantage of that increase front to back dimension. You might also consider standing up the large piece on the left and leaning toward it the back so they are not the same height. That will also draw the eye up in the water column and maybe the fish can swim around it adding more visual appeal to the vertical dimension of the tank. 

Looking forward to seeing it all together!

• Like 3

Full disclosure - I am a former art director and professor in visual design/advertising, and your images kicked me into critique mode...

I like the piece on the left, but not sure about the right. I keep wanting to rotate it in some other options than what you've shown here. Maybe it's just me, but option B looks a bit too.... phallic (soooo sorry, and I'm not usually one to spot something like that). 

I really imagine something where the two pieces work as a unit, maybe even glued up to make that work. Will there be any larger rock pieces that factor in? I could see the right piece flipped up so the long stem is pointed up and butting up to the left side piece. You could then create a bit more of an island layout, at least in the front if not all the way around so there is swimming space for everybody.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@ScottieB & @Widgets ~ I'll try an upright position for the left piece although it is a heavy piece and I'm not sure how I will prop it up.

@Jawjagrrl ~ :classic_laugh: Thanks, I'm not going for that kind of look so I'll keep rearranging! This is the tank my 11-yo son took over, so.... thanks for your honest and professional opinion. That's what I'm looking for! Wish I could do a real time video with responses. :classic_wink: Now that you mention it, I do have a rock that was too big for my 10G that I might be able to use!

@Katherine ~ Please tell her that I will most definitely use that rock in that location in the final setup! I'll mark it so I make sure it goes in the right spot! 

Alright, I'm going to pull the driftwood back out and start rearranging. I'll post some more options. Thanks everyone -- You guys are all awesome!

• Like 2

0956D486-073E-45DB-8238-FA7E300DD843.jpeg.3cfb254bc7e407a29257acf39e0d407e.jpegI like A. I have found that once in the tank thinks will change and the view through the water changes the perspectives. I’ve changed on tank 3 times this week. I wanted an flooded pond look. The first ones is the one from this week it’s hard to tell but there are a breeding pair double black angels and my l-333’s.the rest are of the 75 changes over 8 months most recently first

2830D0FF-6DB4-412C-9151-853F5A9788D4.jpeg.8fa03cc2181bbe246e2d4d19453ef490.jpegB2F92EFC-9E6D-4FE7-94CC-9BE63CE80D64.jpeg.2fefad75a290cd9c2314596fa803db9a.jpegDEBA9D62-B397-4DB9-B1A1-1A60B67B8CC6.jpeg.62bc464e442802f985ca3dc32ae7082f.jpeg1D5367D2-ABB4-4BC8-A6C9-43606670AC25.jpeg.c549744b2bd556d46d1a43c61308a818.jpegC60D35D7-F243-4249-A0FE-A8E25C20EC1D.jpeg.afbc5ff776e08ff215485e8c1e953cb3.jpeg0D95A1A0-C059-4145-A08C-4E39A4DD328E.jpeg.3683c43abc9db81cf988392649c0bc69.jpeg5F747B07-949A-48FB-B6F3-1DD8D40D6805.jpeg.c8560e0d566b5ed289990cd352ab2d34.jpeg78C965EC-0F19-4804-B8BC-83487F6D0AE9.jpeg.7f7b8b0dba957dc5f11e81cd107d7098.jpeg

A7363074-346E-4B3E-8809-E30E5B857AB5.jpeg

• Love 2

I always come back to the golden ratio which aides you in placement. It also identifies why people are not jiving with scape 2 I think as it is just too symmetrical. There's a term in Japanese called Wabi Sabi which is about the need for randomness to make things look natural. Here a couple pics of some aquascapes and how they've used the golden ratio. Some people also like the "law of 3rds" as well.

goldenratio1.jpg.09ed5996ab04235ea9d96f3980462bd9.jpggoldenratio2.jpg.abbc20ffd05f4a987106b63f4d6ba6fa.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

@Brandon p ~ I will be able to shift things around a little bit, but I'm trying to figure out as much as I can before because I'm not going to remove the fish. I'm hoping to glue and plop the driftwood/rock and then plant and arrange around it.

I am nervous about the weight and making sure things are steady before they go in since it's a little precarious and I don't want a broken tank. :classic_unsure:

@Beardedbillygoat1975 ~ Thanks! I've been looking at the rule of thirds but trying to figure it out in 3D since the tank will be viewed from different angles. I love symmetry and so I'm fighting the urge and trying to fight the balance! 

Here are two more options adding a rock and removing one of the driftwood pieces:

Option C:

IMG_1098.JPG.7f2edff93b3b8b1e99484c547732723b.JPG 

Option D:

IMG_1099.JPG.de9068ecc86d3ac2174eb85c6978ee07.JPG

Option E:

IMG_1102.JPG.c89f63855add323bf96b3b3d24e86796.JPG

I don't think I can tip the large piece of driftwood upright. It's too awkward and unbalanced. See the tear in the back paper? Yeah, I think I just cracked my imaginary tank on that one! :classic_laugh:

Options D & E In the large driftwood, I'm seeing something posing on the rock with their arm raised. 

Trying to break out of the symmetry:

Option F:

IMG_1105.JPG.ba9eafe3ec16f3ccad781f1a49d9535d.JPG

and building further on that, adding in the odd piece of driftwood:

Option G:

IMG_1108.JPG.32c122c6a7b0bc18bcbd0f09d19b59d4.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG.bbf236a03f7c080b62ce3e82462d2ff4.JPG

• Haha 1

Here's a quick video I did of Option G as if you are walking into the room and around to the front of the tank: It gives a better 3D visual of the pieces of driftwood.

And I realize I didn't include a straight on pic of option G, so here it is:

IMG_1114.JPG.746c5642d4e2c802695483c52ced5294.JPG

I do like the arches this one creates and how its lower on the left and builds up on the right.

Edited by AndreaW
Added Pic
  • Love 1

Well, I left the set up in place until my son got home from school and he says he likes the latest option and loves how many arches and tunnels there are and is excited for the new scape. I will keep the tall plants on the right side mostly, and taper down on the left, which actually works best because you see the left side of the tank first. 

@Brandon p ~ On your vertical pieces, how did you secure them so they stay that way? I think I will be able to use hot glue to secure and keep mine balanced; just curious though.

• Like 1

I like option “A” but the little smooth piece looks unecessary. I'd leave it out and give yourself more room for plants. 
Actually I'm a fan of triangle scapes. I'd build up substrate on the left and have the wood slanting downward from left to right. 

Here's a rando pic from net. You'll probably want different plants but you get the idea. 🙂

F99911DB-436F-475C-B9B7-FD437C6DCE49.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Love 1

@Patrick_G ~ I do like the triangular look. How deep do you think I can go with gravel and an UG filter? I do have the two  powerheads pulling water through it. I guess I would have less flow through deeper substrate, and more flow in through the shallower end, but the flow under the filter would still be maintained.

On 3/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, AndreaW said:

@Patrick_G ~ I do like the triangular look. How deep do you think I can go with gravel and an UG filter? I do have the two  powerheads pulling water through it. I guess I would have less flow through deeper substrate, and more flow in through the shallower end, but the flow under the filter would still be maintained.

Oops I forgot you were running the UGF. I bet you could cheat and use some rocks to prop up the wood. You're lucky to have those pieces of wood. You could pretty much just drop them in randomly and they'd look good. 🙂

• Like 1

@Patrick_G ~ I do love the driftwood. I especially like the two-toned wood. I paid a bit for them, but if they are in the tank for the next 20 years I guess the price is offset, right?

Did you see my Option G (I posted it at the top of the first post here)? It slopes up to the right instead and creates some arches to the left, although it doesn't taper off quite like your photo. I was thinking I could do the taller plants on the right to create more height there, and keep the left more open.

I really love the look of your 75 but I don't have the width you do. *sigh*

@AndreaWi totally understand wanting to make sure things ar in place I guess I’m more reckless I never glue anything but plants sometimes. I have a 45 gal bow front stacked with limestone tooo to bottom in the African cichlids tank. I rarely take any fish out to move things. I guess I live in the edge. I’m sure at so point I’ll break a tank and say I should have glued it.

• Like 1

Glad that the golden mean and law of 3rds didn't come from me 😉 They are both solid principles for basing a design beyond painting and graphic design.

I think you new ones are all nice steps forward from the first two, worth playing more with it. G looks good and will be even better with the plants. Yay!

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1

Loving option G for all the reasons already stated.  The arches give it flow and movement, make it very interesting.  The big piece propped on the rock gives it more height and visual weight for the perfect amount of not quite balanced.  I would go for good height on the right and make sure there’s not too many plants on the left that obscure your open arches.  Something tall tucked in the back left corner would be OK, but nothing that blocks those beautiful arches.  Tiny, colorful plants up front would be fine where the arches touch down, but don’t fill in your void space that shows off the lovely arches.  I’d put most of the plants on the right side and you’ll get some of that triangular effect that way.  I think that would be a very effective and striking scape.

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 2

I love the dual arches.

On 3/11/2022 at 7:38 PM, AndreaW said:

How deep do you think I can go with gravel and an UG filter? I do have the two  powerheads pulling water through it. I guess I would have less flow through deeper substrate, and more flow in through the shallower end, but the flow under the filter would still be maintained.

In a UGF with even gravel across the floor of the tank, the flow will be greatest near the uplift tubes gets lower the further away from the uplift tubes. If you are using airstones, the flow difference should be small due to  low flow rate. If you are using power heads, the overall flow rate is larger and there will be a greater flow rate difference. If you have differing gravel depths, the deeper gravel will slow the flow rate. This can be used to help balance the flow, with deeper gravel in the back near the uplift tubes and less gravel in front. This also gives a pleasing view.

I have setup 8" terraces in the back corners surrounding the uplift tubes. In front of the terraces the gravel is 3" and slopes down to 2" in the front center of the tank.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 10:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’d put most of the plants on the right side and you’ll get some of that triangular effect that way.  I think that would be a very effective and striking scape.

This! Sloping the substrate towards the right back corner would reinforce the triangle concept - I already forgot, but if your UGF uptake tubes are in that corner, so much the better. Open space around the left edge of your arrangement should make for some awesome photo ops with your fish too! Can't wait to see.

• Like 1

Option G.  The others are to linear, lack depth, movement, and over all looks the most natural to my eye.

I'm assuming the boulder is part of the scape.  Opt. E could work if the T shaped piece on the right were rotated 180 degrees, and made to look as if it is or was connected to the larger piece. ...similar to the root over rock concept in Bonsai.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, Odd Duck said:

Loving option G for all the reasons already stated.  The arches give it flow and movement, make it very interesting.  The big piece propped on the rock give it more height and visual weight for the perfect amount of not quite balanced.  I would go for good height on the right and make sure there’s not too many plants on the left that obscure your open arches.  Something tall tucked in the back left corner would be OK, but nothing that blocks those beautiful arches.  Tiny, colorful plants up front would be fine where the arches touch down, but don’t fill in your void space that shows off the lovely arches.  I’d put most of the plants on the right side and you’ll get some of that triangular effect that way.  I think that would be a very effective and striking scape.

This is much of what I was thinking. Thank you!

You are all awesome! Thanks for your input. I'm going to keep playing with Option G and plan the plants and rocks around that idea. Built up on the right side, sloping down to the arches on the left. Taller plants in the right back corner, and less and shorter plant to the left, leaving the arches open and accented.

• Like 1
  • Love 2