Wildcaught least killifish spawning

813aquatics

On 3/11/2022 at 4:36 AM, 813aquatics said:

Was doing some 3AM tank maintenance after the stream and caught some baby least killifish hanging out 🙂

https://youtu.be/OS7aavFh5I4

Love this!

I think @TheDukeAnumber1 kept a huge colony of LKs.

Was @Patrick_G just talking about missing out on an auction bid for these at GSAS?

I love that they’re wild-caught. Now you can put on airs if you want as you talk about your F1 fry 😂

They used to show up in bags with feeder guppies from FL fish farms at my LFS. Very cool nano US native!

I’ve got to find some salvinia. Looks nice!

Glad someone else does aquarium stuff at 3:00 am 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 3/11/2022 at 5:59 AM, Fish Folk said:

Love this!

I think @TheDukeAnumber1 kept a huge colony of LKs.

Was @Patrick_G just talking about missing out on an auction bid for these at GSAS?

I love that they’re wild-caught. Now you can put on airs if you want as you talk about your F1 fry 😂

They used to show up in bags with feeder guppies from FL fish farms at my LFS. Very cool nano US native!

I’ve got to find some salvinia. Looks nice!

Glad someone else does aquarium stuff at 3:00 am 😅

Yes I reached out to him but I think the desire is to source locally. The LKs are truly everywhere here, not surprised they tagalong some guppies. We have those eastern mosquitofish here (gambusia holbrooki) which I guess can be bred with guppies but they are little demon fish, there’s a video floating around of a female eastern mosquitofish that murders a guys entire tank.

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2022 at 6:15 AM, 813aquatics said:

Yes I reached out to him but I think the desire is to source locally. The LKs are truly everywhere here, not surprised they tagalong some guppies. We have those eastern mosquitofish here (gambusia holbrooki) which I guess can be bred with guppies but they are little demon fish, there’s a video floating around of a female eastern mosquitofish that murders a guys entire tank.

Correct! We caught half a dozen Mosquitofish on vacation in NC. I thought maybe they’d be fine with my goldfish.

😳

Not so!!!! They bullied all goldfish into hollow logs, Hardscape, etc.

I’m not sure that M-fish cross with Guppies though. I’ve always wondered that… but I’ve never been convinced it happens. Maybe a _male_ M-fish x _female_ Guppy… IDK

Here’s my little guy a few years ago with a 5.5 gal holding wild-caught M-fish…

• Love 2

I have some wild caught LKs (from the canal edging my back yard) in my QT. They will eventually make it to my RCS tank.

They are a unique live bearer. I have never been able to keep them. I had MF murder them and the blue fin killifish (all from the canal) that I tried to house in a native tank. This time it will just be LK and RCS.

Edited by Widgets
Typo

I am officially jealous, LOL.

I can't keep anything caught locally here: Either it's invasive and has to be submitted to the state, a food fish and some legal redtape, or endangered....

I miss being a kid and getting to walk down to the local creek, catching crawdads and NC native fish, and bring them home to live in a tub for the summer and then release back into the creek. Same with tadpoles (except invasive tadpoles went to the Museum of Natural History, as did a few newts and a lot of snakes).

Once I get the clear to start lifting 50 lbs I can finally start my 4' dining room build that has run into roadblocks since my Feb birthday last year.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, Widgets said:

I have some wild caught LKs (from the xanal edging my back yard) in my QT. They will eventually make it to my RCS tank.

They are a unique live bearer. I have never been able to keep them. I had MF murder them and the blue fin killifish (all from the canal) that I tried to house in a native tank. This time it will just be LK and RCS.

I collected some stunning melanistic male eastern mosquistofish but they ravaged the non-MF tails in the tank. And I’ve seen the videos of females charging fish to burst their swim bladders. Crazy little guys.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, 813aquatics said:

I collected some stunning melanistic male eastern mosquistofish but they ravaged the non-MF tails in the tank. And I’ve seen the videos of females charging fish to burst their swim bladders. Crazy little guys.

😲

On 3/11/2022 at 10:42 AM, Widgets said:

I have some wild caught LKs (from the canal edging my back yard) in my QT. They will eventually make it to my RCS tank.

This morning I noticed 2 LK fry in the QT. Unfortunately I had a surprise batch of fry hatch in the RCS tank. They are too tiny to identify for sure. They may be from the zebra danios that were in the tank for a few days, but others have said that the swim pattern is not danioesque. I'll have wait and see, but in the mean time the LKs are stuck in the QT.