Summer Tubbing Down Under

KoolFish97

Hey all, 

Just chasing some advice from seasoned summer Tubbing experts

I am from Australia and it's spring so I'm kicking of my summer tubs now it's warmed up. I was planning to attempt to breed 3 species. 

Paratya australiensis (glass shrimp)

Tateurndina ocellicauda (peacock gudgeons) 

Pseudomugil luminatus (red neon blue eyes) 

So as you can see all quite small species and I realise each breeds a little different and I'm going to happily cater to that but I wanted to ask and see that would be everyone's advice for the smallest they would go for the ponds. Either as a rule for any breeding or for those species if you have experience/know

They will importantly all have their own pond.

I'm going to aim for the largest possible trust me just wanting to know my limits incase I can't afford/obtain larger sizes. 

I am experienced in keeping above ground ornamental ponds and tanks just not setup outdoor breeding ponds before so want some others advise who are experienced in it.

Thank you all for your input ahead of time!

Edited by KoolFish97

I would say a minimum really depends on the temp swings you have. how cold is it at night? How hot is it in the day? The more water the more stable the temps will be. The smallest I would go for any of those species is around 20-40 gallons not knowing what your temps are. If you don't know already it is generally better to have shade plants in the tank and keep it out of full sun. I would go as big as you can go on your local marketplace website and try to find an old farmer who has a horse watering trough They don't want anymore. Try to get a plastic one and avoid the metals 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taylor Blake said:

I would say a minimum really depends on the temp swings you have. how cold is it at night? How hot is it in the day? The more water the more stable the temps will be. The smallest I would go for any of those species is around 20-40 gallons not knowing what your temps are. If you don't know already it is generally better to have shade plants in the tank and keep it out of full sun. I would go as big as you can go on your local marketplace website and try to find an old farmer who has a horse watering trough They don't want anymore. Try to get a plastic one and avoid the metals 

I agree with most of what was said here except the used horse trough, bc you dont know what the farmer has put in that and I would just get a new one to avoid that risk, that being said you could always take the risk

My pre - existing 300 Litre (80 gallon?) ,Made of a old glass aquarium, In the day resides around 23c (73f) and in the morning it's only dropped to the coldest of 20c (68f) degrees. 

obviously it will be getting much warmer as our day temperatures in Australia in my area in summer can average over 35 C (95f) and not get much colder than that at all at night. 

Thank you all for your advice I will be going as big as possible I just wanted to make sure if I could only get 40 gallons that it wasn't an instant failure. 

I do know to keep it in shade and provide a tone of plants and cover that is already in the works as I have the plants and decor at the ready just need the tubs. 

Cheers!! 

• Like 1