Is my female betta bloated/overfed?

Karen B.

Greetings!

Am kinda new to bettas, have had them only for 4 months. I have 2 males (1 plakat, 1 halfmoon) and both are really slender. No tummy, just slim from head to tails.

I also have one female (halfmoon) but her body shape is different. She is much rounder around the stomach/on the sides then it slim down for the tail. The pictures don’t show it as well as I was hoping. She is really active, a real hunter, she jumps, eats, etc. I feed all my bettas twice a day, about 3-4 pellets each. (Sorry she was having a poop) 

8D7EA9B5-6F88-49EB-B834-9B5CC515A511.png

66631DD7-F360-40EB-8F94-9E8967F6BB37.png

53B9C7F6-36BE-49F9-969D-AD8A0178BE5D.png

ADF70768-2B6E-4066-9924-B9D514E12E2D.png

18A00C0B-DEA7-4287-8892-8D1348311A48.png

I don't see pineconing, so that's a positive. She's having bowel movements that are not the typical mini-football shape, I would ask @Coluif he can look at the first two pictures to see if there is anything to be concerned about.

Crowntails are notoriously eggy females, and your female's shape is a bit thicker than my CT females were, but my females had way more pronounced bellies.

kismet.jpg.d9904d7d4bf7b5fa79cc099dd5ef5bfa.jpg

Here's the best image I have to show what an eggy belly looks like. They will reabsorb eggs, 99.9% of the time, and we just need to leave them alone. If they are in a divided tank and there are male hormones, sometimes they need a male to stimulate a release of eggs. Watch the Members Only video from Gianne on breeding, so as to not accidentally mess up the developing fry's labyrinth organ, which I accidentally did after we moved...

Doesn't look like Dropsy looks like bloating due to over eating or constipation I would fast for a couple of days  if she still bloated after that I would do an Epsom salt bath 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes twice a day for a couple of days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant that will help with constipation if she's egg bound it help her to release the eggs

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1