Water odor - How farty is too farty?

So, I was rearranging my 55 planted community tank the other day, and I legit cleared the whole downstairs. I noticed I was getting a  sulfur smell, but the kids all ran away screaming. Sure, there were a bunch of turds and stuff... I mean, it didn't wreak, but it didn't smell good.

But do you guys' tanks ever stink? Like, just doing a water change, it smells a little earthy. But that's cool, right? I only had the super farty water this one time.

I'm still relieved new, roughly 6 months, but the one time I opened the tank and it stank I had a dead snail in there. Might be something to check?  It seriously smelled for a whole day after. Although i don't think it smelled like sulfur like you said yours does.  

Edited by Cinnebuns

The only time I got a really pungent stink from my tank was when I removed a half-rotted aponogeton bulb (that ... was strangely not buried in the substrate at all, so I have no idea what happened). THAT thing stank. I was worried I was gassing all my fish but they were fine, lol.

I've had a bad smell come up from the substrate when I moved easy planters--it smelled bad but the fish were not bothered, I assumed it was some gas created as stuff decomposes in the substrate and without the fish being able to pick at it, it stayed and  built up. I would suspect a dead snail or something else rotting if the smell wasn't gone in a few minutes after disturbing substrate.