Are There Any Fully Aquatic Crabs?

On 3/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

Hey, kids.

Are there any fully aquatic, community friendly crabs? I think I can remember having something like that when I was a kid. I've seen the fiddler crabs and the red claw crabs at the pet stores, and I think something like that might be fun crawling around the bottom of my tank.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DY0S4Ep6K4a0&ved=2ahUKEwjlsNb5ybf2AhUuZN8KHfgYDb8QtwJ6BAgEEAI&usg=AOvVaw2J69-vKsKvuZwH_PvPs85O

Thai micro crabs and pompom crabs are fully aquatic and would be fine with small fish, bigger community fish may eat them though. Don’t be fooled by folly aquatic though, they will escape you tank if able. I’ve always wanted to have a panther crab set up. Definitely not community friendly, but I think you could pull of a large group of endless or something that are small enough to be hard to catch and breed enough to replace the ones that get lost.

Pompom crabs would work if they settle and survive their molt all right. I got only one "successful" molt (I say "successful" because the crab lost both of his front pincers and his pompoms with his molt and I could not fathom why that happened) out of my pompom crabs before, one day, they mysteriously disappeared. Didn't find them outside the tank, never found them buried anywhere inside the tank. There was a firm lid on top. 

If you try them I hope you have better luck than me. I really loved our little guys and I was sad they didn't work out. I couldn't justify trying them again when they disappeared without a trace only a month after purchase.