Missing fry

Cinnebuns

I am confused right now. I have a fry tank (divided 10 gallon) with guppy and panda cory fry (or should), cory eggs and 3 Japanese trapdoor snail babies. I had 5 eggs in initially and watched 1 hatch. I put in 10 guppy fry, and 1 died. Each time I count fry I get 9, which I assume are the guppies. Where did the cories go?  I have since put in roughly 22 eggs that eventually go away. I assume hatched, but where is the fry?  Maybe the snails are eating the eggs but that doesn't explain the fry that I saw hatch. It's barebottom with few places to hide. Maybe I should take out the baby snails incase they are eating eggs.

20220308_071053.jpg

What color are the Cory eggs when you put them in the tank and after they’ve been in there a while?  How long does it take for them to disappear?  Do you have traces of the eggs left where you put them?  What is your tank temp? 

Cory babies are experts at hiding, by the way.

Most were beige. I did keep the white ones just in case. Just the last day I had a couple fungus over and took them out. Usually they would disappear around day 5 which sounds like hatching to me. Someone on Facebook suggested guppy fry are large enough to eat cory fry?  That sounds a bit far to me...  Just in case, and I'll need it eventually anyway, I'm gonna set up a 5 gallon today and put the remaining eggs in it. Idk maybe they are in there somewhere but it shocks me I wouldn't see even 1. 

I’ve not kept trapdoor snail but my snails if a fry did not survive would be consumed in short order by my snails without leaving a trace. Guppy fry will also consume remains and as slow and still as my panda fry is would pick it to death even if it did not fit in their mouth as I have watched guppy fry and young juveniles group pick a live adult shrimp to death then consume. Sorry for the gruesome imagery I could not find a more pleasant wording. 

@Guppysnail that's what I'm considering happened. I moved the snails for now to the other side. Although I have a feeling they can climb that wall. I'm working on a 5 gallon to keep the cories seperate. That will at least narrow down to the cause of death. If it's me or the other occupants. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 9:35 AM, Cinnebuns said:

@Guppysnail that's what I'm considering happened. I moved the snails for now to the other side. Although I have a feeling they can climb that wall. I'm working on a 5 gallon to keep the cories seperate. That will at least narrow down to the cause of death. If it's me or the other occupants. 

I haven’t kept guppies in decades, so @Guppysnail would be your expert on that.  They really are hard to see at first.  They might still be in there.  I’ve seen them cling to the underside of sponge filters, or any plants, etc.

• Like 1