what is growing in my tankkkkkkkkk?!?!?!!!!!!

BrandyLaRae

24 minutes ago, Phill D said:

they can be super derpy and fun to watch just in general 

This is exactly how I talk about my Mystery Snails LOLOL

Unfortunately, Zebras apparently don't get along with Betta and Yoyos need sand substrate. I'm batting a thousand with this mess!

4 minutes ago, BrandyLaRae said:

This is exactly how I talk about my Mystery Snails LOLOL

Unfortunately, Zebras apparently don't get along with Betta and Yoyos need sand substrate. I'm batting a thousand with this mess!

I wouldn't worry too much about the substrate. It's probably overstated like it is with kuhlis and corydoras, or a misinterpretation of symptoms. Unless someone has some concrete evidence toward it. I never heard of the zebra not getting along with Bettas. I kept my loach with zebra danios and otos and they basically ignored each other. Another similar loach would be botia angelicus or i think also called burmese border loach. I've seen people keep groups of those in community tanks with larger and smaller fish, same with Yoyos. But loaches as a whole, except for Kuhlis, will eat snails. They pull them right out of the shell (kuhli's don't have the mouth anatomy to do it). So just about any loach will work. Maybe not rosy loaches because they're so small. I'm not sure about them. Dwarf chain loaches will work too and they only reach 2.5 or so inches, about half that of a Yoyo. But they're not easy to find and can run like $12-20 each 

• Like 1

Yo-yos are great, I have 6 or so and they will eat flake food, etc. - they get right up to the surface for krill flakes. 

Another option is a pea puffer although those are hard to find right now. I have a pea puffer in my 40 and yo-yos in my 75 and I grab bladder snails from my other tanks for them. Cichlids and other fish will also eat snails when they can. 

It sounds like most of what you’re dealing with is the natural fallout of having to feed heavily, I don’t know that I’d worry a ton about correcting it unless you’re seeing symptoms beyond “I have lots of baby snails and some hydra”. Both of those populations kinda explode and wax and wane from what I have seen. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Jane Oh said:

I have ONE of those.... what do I do?

Easiest way I've found to get rid of hydra is to stop feeding tiny foods, particularly baby brine shrimp. I had a bit of a hydra explosion in the 6 gallon tank I was using for growing out CPD fry and once I cut off their daily brine shrimp feedings, the hydra naturally resolved. They shouldn't cause you many problems if you don't have itty bitty creatures you want to keep alive (fry, baby shrimp.) They don't seem to bother baby snails.