what is growing in my tankkkkkkkkk?!?!?!!!!!!

BrandyLaRae

5 minutes ago, Garren B said:

Looks like hydra to me as well.

I don['t think that's it. Those look stalky.. these are not stalky at all. Also, my husband looked them up and it said that when you touch them they kind of curl away, and he said it's not doing that. 

Is that picture magnified at all?

These almost look like translucent white leaves with the stem end stuck to the tank wall.

5 minutes ago, BrandyLaRae said:

I don['t think that's it. Those look stalky.. these are not stalky at all. Also, my husband looked them up and it said that when you touch them they kind of curl away, and he said it's not doing that. 

Is that picture magnified at all?

These almost look like translucent white leaves with the stem end stuck to the tank wall.

Hm, well they don't really look like planaria because your picture shows some kind of branchy-ness. Planaria are flat.... interesting question.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kat_Rigel said:

Hm, well they don't really look like planaria because your picture shows some kind of branchy-ness. Planaria are flat.... interesting question.

I'm at a loss. I'll study them more tomorrow. Maybe try to get a better picture or even video. 

Thanks for your help!

45 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Definitely hydra...100%.

Here is an interesting post on hydra. Spixey snails and croaking gourami are known to eat hydra if you don't like your cute tiny freshwater anemones 

A lot of fish seem to eat these. Honey gourami loves them. Mollies as well. Betta doesn’t touch them. I don’t see issues with them in my community tanks or tanks with adult guppies - only fry and single species tanks where the single species isn’t interested. 

I still have yet to witness them harm a fish, snail, or shrimp. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BrandyLaRae said:

Hahaha... Im sorry!  Flora (plant) Fauna (animal)! 🙂  For future reference!

(see reply to Garren!) 

Lol yes, I know flora a fauna. I meant I wasn't sure which one hydra is. Per the previous explanation that they are freshwater anemone, fauna seems correct.

• Confused 1

Well, it's changed a bit in the last 36 hours but it still doesn't look like any picture or video I've seen of hydra so far. I've been more focused on my bladder snail infestation, to be honest. They're driving me batty, and it seems like every ten minutes there are more teeny tiny ones on my tank walls. 

We moved the baby Mysteries to the little tank, which can't last long. Maybe another week and I'll have to buy another tank for them if we don't resolve the 29's issues. So frustrated.

2 hours ago, BrandyLaRae said:

Well, it's changed a bit in the last 36 hours but it still doesn't look like any picture or video I've seen of hydra so far. I've been more focused on my bladder snail infestation, to be honest. They're driving me batty, and it seems like every ten minutes there are more teeny tiny ones on my tank walls. 

We moved the baby Mysteries to the little tank, which can't last long. Maybe another week and I'll have to buy another tank for them if we don't resolve the 29's issues. So frustrated.

A single Yoyo or Zebra loach will commit complete decimation of those bladder snails i think. At least mine did like a decade ago. Idk what exact species of pest snails they were but he took down at least 100 of them in a month. Despite being only 2 or 3 inch long. Of course if you have other snails or shrimp you'll have to keep them separated from the loach during and after his mission 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phill D said:

A single Yoyo or Zebra loach will commit complete decimation of those bladder snails i think. At least mine did like a decade ago. Idk what exact species of pest snails they were but he took down at least 100 of them in a month. Despite being only 2 or 3 inch long. Of course if you have other snails or shrimp you'll have to keep them separated from the loach during and after his mission 

Technically off topic, but after the loach has cleaned up the snail population, what would you feed? Or do you culture snails separate and feed those? Or both? Also yes, I’d agree and say that that looks like hydra

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

Technically off topic, but after the loach has cleaned up the snail population, what would you feed? Or do you culture snails separate and feed those? Or both? Also yes, I’d agree and say that that looks like hydra

Most loaches seem to like anything they can grab. In the wild they're kind of a micro predator for worms and inverts and larvae. From what i've seen and kept, they'll eat bottom feeder sinking wafers. They'll also eat freeze dried blood worms and brine shrimp (when it finally stops floating) and i'd imagine also go after live and frozen foods. Mine will eat algae wafers too if my otos haven't finished it and they want a snack between meals. I've also seen my kuhli loach pick at a green beans 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BrandyLaRae said:

We're looking at those now. Of course that gives me the same challenge as the assassin snails, but it's a new option to consider. Thank you!

They do also like being in groups if you have the tank space for 3-5 and don't mind getting that many 

Also they can be super derpy and fun to watch just in general 

Edited by Phill D
  • Haha 1