Dying Cherry Shrimp!

Carrie Ford

Last week I had 2 cherry shrimp die suddenly.  I checked water parameters and they were all good, though I didnt have a GH/KH test kit, so I ordered that and checked it and they were alright too.  I figured maybe just old age, and went on about my day.   Today I came in to another dead shrimp.  I have a heavily planted tank with kuhli loaches, so there could be more--these ones were towards the front of the tank where I can see.  No damage seen on them, just dead.  Any ideas?!

Other tank info:  29 gallon, lots of plants, 7 glofish tetra, 7 kuhli loaches, 3 adult endlers, 3 adult platys, 5 nerites, 9 adult malaysian trumpet snails, 15ish adult cherry shrimp.   Variety of babies of endlers, platys, and trumpet snails.   Running 2 Aqueon quietflow 20 filters

Water Changes:  It's been about a month, I generally just test parameters and top off water as it evaporates, about 2 gallons per week.

Temperature:  Ranges from 76-78 F

pH: 6.8-7.0 (color looks a bit in between the two)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0, maybe 2?  (I know, my plants are hungry...)

GH: 5

KH: 2-3 (kinda started to change after 2, was definitely changed at 3)

Edited by Carrie Ford
additional tank info

Hi there, Disclaimer: I'm very new to shrimp and well fish in general. How long ago were the shrimp added? sometimes it can take a week or so for the shrimp to fall apart in a new tank. The shrimp are going to be the most sensitive to change and first to be affected when something is off. What is the newest addition to the tank? Do the shrimp have a dedicated food source? With so many snails and loaches they may be being out competed for food? Similar problem I had was lack of calcium, causing failed molting. Looked like they just passed without being harmed or picked on. Maybe some fish are chasing them not giving them a chance to sit and eat? My hope is that some of these questions will guide you to the resolution you seek. Good luck and have a great day!

On 3/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, FSH i said:

Hi there, Disclaimer: I'm very new to shrimp and well fish in general. How long ago were the shrimp added? sometimes it can take a week or so for the shrimp to fall apart in a new tank. The shrimp are going to be the most sensitive to change and first to be affected when something is off. What is the newest addition to the tank? Do the shrimp have a dedicated food source? With so many snails and loaches they may be being out competed for food? Similar problem I had was lack of calcium, causing failed molting. Looked like they just passed without being harmed or picked on. Maybe some fish are chasing them not giving them a chance to sit and eat? My hope is that some of these questions will guide you to the resolution you seek. Good luck and have a great day!

Hi FSH!   They've all been in the tank for 1+ month.  The newest thing would be a lotus flower bulb from the Aquarium Co-op, and even that has been a few weeks.   I suppose it's entirely possible that they have been getting out-competed for food.  All water parameters would indicate that there's not an access of food, and like you said, with all the snails and loaches (and the tetras that are lil piggies), it's possible.  I'll try bumping up the sinking food and seeing if that helps!