Best low tech carpetingplant

Redness

On 3/7/2022 at 1:18 PM, anewbie said:

I hear that if you grow it emersed it produces a lovely purple flower.

I'm not sure. Its by accident I even have it. I was looking for a low tech carpeting plant and happened to see it advertised on a shady website. I said "heck with it", it's only money if it never arrives. Sure enough, it arrived and now that site has been taken down. There's not too much information, that I can find, about it.

On 3/7/2022 at 1:19 PM, Patrick_G said:

It’s room temp, our house is on the cool side, so around 66 in the cooler months. 

There's some interesting research going on about cold tanks with soft water growing plants that require CO2, yet no additional CO2 is being used. Might be why you are having success with it. I wouldn't believe it without seeing your picture. Amazing work!

What's the pH of this tank?

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 1

I loooove clover-like ground cover like what @Mmiller2001 suggested. That with a few splashes of hydrocotyle japan is LOVE.

I've been trying Monte Carlo and haven't had luck with it, so I think YMMV and success is dependent on so many different factors (tank temperature, dry start vs. planting in a filled tank, ph, hardness, etc). Staurygyne Repens actually grows quite nicely in my low-tech 20 gallon, but it's not a super fast grower for me. You'd have to start with a lot to get the carpeting effect quickly.  I do like how it looks a lot, quite pretty foliage and very green. 

• Like 1