Moving to Boston, looking to re-home fish 😞

Mengo

In a few weeks I'll be moving and I figured the best option for my fish would be to re-home them. I am driving from Clayton Mo. to Boston and it will be a 2-3 day ride. I love my fish very much and considered bringing them with me but I didn't want to risk any of them dying. Besides I wouldn't have anywhere to put them assuming they survive the journey. So I decided the best option was to re-home them to someone who has fish keeping experience and would care for them well.

Before I give more details, am I allowed to do this on this forum? Are there any other active forums that would be better for this purpose? 

On 3/6/2022 at 3:51 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I don't think you can. There's a nextdoor app that I've used to re-home fish as well as craigslist.

could you give me some tips or guides on how to do this?

Unfortunately they don't allow this on this particular forum, sorry. 

MY best advice is to contact your local fish stores and ask if they would be willing OR if not ask them if they have any local club contacts or local fish keeper contacts that might be interested. Also as @Mmiller2001 said, local sites like craigslist or nextdoor (but I don't use it- nextdoor is an app that you download and sign up for neighborhood notifications, yet another form of social media just local) would be good resources for you. Good luck! Hope you find them a good home. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Thanks 1

It’s supposed to be against the rules on Facebook marketplace but everyone does it really the only ones who I’ve never had a problem with their craigslist but unless somebody tells you to take it off Facebook I wouldn’t worry about it

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 5:37 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

MY best advice is to contact your local fish stores and ask if they would be willing OR if not ask them if they have any local club contacts or local fish keeper contacts that might be interested.

thanks for the suggestion. I might do that as a last resort if I can't find anyone. I want to be able to know who i'm giving my fish to. 

On 3/6/2022 at 5:37 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

ask them if they have any local club contacts or local fish keeper contacts that might be interested.

yeah this is a good idea, i think i might try this too. thanks!

On 3/6/2022 at 6:38 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Facebook marketplace would be good as well, just post it’s free to good home. Sorry you’re having to do this. The last time I had to was moving from Baltimore to Oregon. That sucked giving away a giant group of rainbows and Mbuna. 

thanks for your concern😞. I can understand how you felt. 

how did the rehoming go? where you able to get updates about your fish from the new owner? and which platform did you use for the rehoming?

@Mengoa friend took one of the tanks which was for my rainbows (at the time Mbuna were super hot so the local pet store paid me for the fish they didn’t want the rainbows), after 7-9 months he lost interest and maintenance fell behind and they started dying off. Eventually another friend rescued the ones he could and the tank got decommissioned. 

• Sad 1