Mini patio pond build

clovenpine

I finally took the plunge and built a mini pond for my screen porch! Faux barrel from Tractor Supply, 15" high x 24" across, approximately 30 gallons. The hardscape is broken sandstone pavers and driftwood to form a waterfall powered by a 130 gph submersible pump. The back of the platform is lined with weed mat filled with fluval stratum substrate. I'm really proud of how it turned out, and the 24kt gold guppies look amazing in the sunshine 

IMG_20220302_100743.jpg

IMG_20220305_083715.jpg

IMG_20220305_095826.jpg

IMG_20220305_100554.jpg

IMG_20220305_112239.jpg

IMG_20220305_150447.jpg

IMG_20220306_090458.jpg

• Love 7

I love this!  I've just bought a plastic planter to do basically the same thing on my deck for the summer.  I wasn't sure how I was going to do the outlet to the pump, but I think I am going to try to copy your approach.  My best Idea to this point was to drill a spot in the edge for the outlet to come up and run the tubing through bamboo.  It was going to look a bit hokey.  I like the PVC supporting the light grating much better!  I might go with some sort of a black tub so I can create a biofilter of sorts and control where the water leaves, but otherwise I'm pretty sure I'm going to copy emulate your approach. 

• Like 3

On 3/6/2022 at 5:01 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I love this!  I've just bought a plastic planter to do basically the same thing on my deck for the summer.  I wasn't sure how I was going to do the outlet to the pump, but I think I am going to try to copy your approach.  My best Idea to this point was to drill a spot in the edge for the outlet to come up and run the tubing through bamboo.  It was going to look a bit hokey.  I like the PVC supporting the light grating much better!  I might go with some sort of a black tub so I can create a biofilter of sorts and control where the water leaves, but otherwise I'm pretty sure I'm going to copy emulate your approach. 

I actually copied the idea from Serpa Design: https://youtu.be/ld9WkDIP_o4😂. Make sure to post photos when you get yours up and running!

On 3/6/2022 at 5:16 PM, clovenpine said:

I actually copied the idea from Serpa Design

Really?!  Wow!  I never watch that channel.  I feel like that dude puts stuff together and then throws it away or something.  Perhaps I am missing out though! 

On 3/6/2022 at 5:16 PM, clovenpine said:

Make sure to post photos when you get yours up and running!

I will do.  And I'll tag you in it.  But, I suspect mine will be the janky version of yours.  🤪 

• Like 1