Greedy betta in community tank help

Mathfish

Hey there, I recently added a betta named firecracker to my 10 gallon lightly stocked tank. Just 3 ottos and some shrimp. Unfortunately he developed a taste for repashy. I usually leave the repashy there for 8 hours to let everyone graze. I usually feed soilent green 2x a week. The other days I feed algae wafers. Firecracker also gets his own food 1x a day. On a side note he spends his days zipping around the tank and lurking in plants so exercise isn’t an issue.

Should I be worried about my bettas lack of self control? He seems quite happy in this tank and doesn’t bother any of the other residents. I would hate to move him. I’m just worried he will over eat. 

if this is an issue does anyone have any recommendations? 

image.jpg

You could also spread the repashy on things sticks bamboo skewers and rocks. It does not stop my guppies from making pigs of themselves but at least slows the process. I put in in right before lights out as @xXInkedPhoenixXmentioned in all my tanks the spreading slows them enough most is still left by the time I’m done and the room lights are dark. 

@xXInkedPhoenixX good call feeding at night. I switched breakfast feeding to dinner and worked like a charm. I checked while lights were off. Betta was sleeping and otos were snacking 🙂 

@Guppysnail that would probably be good for enrichment, eating repashy blocks must get boring. 
Will any bamboo skewers do? I’m a little worried about accidentally introducing chemicals to my tank. I tried spreading on rocks a few weeks ago but the repashy fell off and made a mess 

• Love 1

On 3/6/2022 at 3:49 PM, Mathfish said:

@xXInkedPhoenixX good call feeding at night. I switched breakfast feeding to dinner and worked like a charm. I checked while lights were off. Betta was sleeping and otos were snacking 🙂 

@Guppysnail that would probably be good for enrichment, eating repashy blocks must get boring. 
Will any bamboo skewers do? I’m a little worried about accidentally introducing chemicals to my tank. I tried spreading on rocks a few weeks ago but the repashy fell off and made a mess 

These are what I use broken in half

FC174C98-5627-4057-8F2C-4FDB7020EEFB.png

• Like 1

Mini update: I think it’s a territorial thing. He has taken over my rock cave centerpiece. I usually feed on a flat part right outside his “house” . He goes for any and all food in that spot. 
I started feeding the bottom feeders in a glass dish 10” down the road and he hasn’t touched it. 

85EEB93E-0A78-461D-B2C5-3767D8CC65C2.jpeg

• Like 1