200 vs 375 bio wheel

DAWGMAN

Wish things were easier. Had two Marinland 200 on my tank, decided to go with one 375 filter. Both use same filter cartridge #C, figured I’d put existing Bio wheels and filter sponges in new filter so all be good, continue with the good bacteria. Love the filter, extremely quite and self priming. But Bio wheels are not the same size WTH🤦🏼‍♂️ Even tried trimming the axles , still didn’t work 😡

Your best bet is to take that bio wheel and throw it in the trash. I’m sorry we used to sell those things at chain petstore and the filter itself is great the biowheel gimmick, not so much. 

The idea it’s trying to achieve is aeration but often the wheel gets stuck or collects detritus and debris and suffocates what bacteria colony may have been living in it creating more mess than cleanup. 

• Like 1

The reason I stated it, because they both take the same cartridge, figured the wheels would be same too 🤷🏼‍♂️ Guess not.

But yeah I use sponge and some floss for now. I don’t use the cartridge because of carbon and I’m trying to grow plants. 
Good video, thanks 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I cleaned my Marineland Penguin biowheel 200 filter box the other day. I used a little bottle brush that came with the cat's water fountain pump to get into the impeller to remove the gunk, since it doesn't come apart like other filters do. Well, after the cleaning it ran for 30 minutes and then quit. Do you think there is a way to fix it or no?  I'm not savvy with filter mechanics. The filter is 16 years old, but it sat unused for 5 of those years, approx.  Maybe I moved something out of alignment: a gear or whatnot? It's not pulling water into it now. Replaced with a Fluval which I quite like; it's nice and quiet and low profile, but I'd like to fix the biowheel up if I can, to have a spare.

Yes it’s true the filter itself has all the bio. You need….   But when you change the pad you don’t have any bio bacteria.  The bio wheel does.   And I believe some bacteria lives in water and a different bio bacteria lives on a wet surface.   

On 5/31/2022 at 7:19 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I used a little bottle brush that came with the cat's water fountain pump to get into the impeller to remove the gunk, since it doesn't come apart like other filters do. Well, after the cleaning it ran for 30 minutes and then quit. Do you think there is a way to fix it or no?  I'm not savvy with filter mechanics. The filter is 16 years old, but it sat unused for 5 of those years, approx.  Maybe I moved something out of alignment: a gear or whatnot? It's not pulling water into it now. Replaced with a Fluval which I quite like; it's nice and quiet and low profile, but I'd like to fix the biowheel up if I can, to have a spare.

You might actually have luck calling them up and asking if they have a replacement part or documentation on how to clean it. My assumption would be, something like ebay you can get a replacement pump for pretty cheap. 

If you're having any issue with the impeller itself, check the shaft and then use silicone grease/food grade lubricant on the shaft itself to help it move a little bit. This is the one I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51004-Synthetic-Viscosity/dp/B000UKUHXK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=195LSO6CZ9WHD&keywords=super%2Blube&qid=1654019745&sprefix=super%2Blub%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-5&th=1

Edit:

You want 100% pure silicone grease. Scuba shops carry it to maintain o-rings
In regulators. Good stuff... I have a 1/4 ounce of it, and it's lasted 10 years.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Grease-Lubricant-Scuba-Regulators/dp/B006QMYW6E/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=100%+silicone+grease&qid=1654020368&sr=8-12

Edited by nabokovfan87
clarification

On 5/31/2022 at 8:05 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@nabokovfan87 The impeller and motor are encased in the hard plastic of the filter box. There’s no way to get them out to apply grease. Some filters you can unscrew the motor, but not this one. It’s integrated.

Not fun.  I will have to see if I can find a method.  I'm sure it came up on the engineering side for Marineland.

The solution very well could've been to just go buy a replacement.  They have to have a method to assemble, could've been a destructive one to disassemble as well. 

Very well could be a newer design. Working my way backwards. image.png.7412ad1e220fe860ecdb09db24a3a165.png

image.png.51cd4d30140921bec7d0ac889ebc5568.png

You got me thinkin, @nabokovfan87.  When I get home I will have to take a closer look at parts 3 & 4.  It looked like they fused with the box, but maybe the housing for 3 is just meant to make it look that way.  The instruction manual does not instruct to attach those, so they must already be installed in the unit when purchased. I bet I can lift #3 out with a pair of pliers.

ive had numerous different marineland filters. i dont make it a habit to take the impellers out to clean them, but they all come out. pull up and wiggle if needed. generally pull out the intake tube, and the impeller assembly will be right under that. grab hold with your fingers and jiggle it out/up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@nabokovfan87 You’re a genius. 🏆Based on the diagrams you posted and @lefty o's removal tips, I got the impeller out easily. Found some calcification on there and cleaned it off, but I think the real issue was that the impeller wasn’t seated properly after the last cleaning. Reassembled and it runs again! 

4E76AFF7-6C3C-4C0C-AA7F-DBB8D87B4E1B.jpeg

1B8A3833-7AE3-4D30-BBC5-386454AD8B4D.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 9:25 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Your best bet is to take that bio wheel and throw it in the trash. I’m sorry we used to sell those things at chain petstore and the filter itself is great the biowheel gimmick, not so much. 

The idea it’s trying to achieve is aeration but often the wheel gets stuck or collects detritus and debris and suffocates what bacteria colony may have been living in it creating more mess than cleanup. 

I've had a more positive experience with biowheels. Mine has been going 16 years and I haven't had a stuck wheel, ever. I never even cleaned the thing until this year; I only changed out media (rarely) or rinsed it in tank water. My brother had one too, years ago, and it ran great.

That being said, the newer models of biowheels are getting bad reviews. Seems like they don't make 'em like they used to.

On 6/2/2022 at 12:06 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

although your cactus hat lady stares into my soul and I am uncomfy

LOL. My friend made that for me. It's weird right?

I made the bunny one by hand at a pottery place.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 11:06 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

These filters can run a very long time, glad y’all got it sorted!

although your cactus hat lady stares into my soul and I am uncomfy

thats a fact, they can go, and go, and go like the energizer bunny. ive got a pair of 350's on my 120 that are over 25 yrs old. still chugging along.