What makes crypts stand up or lay down.

On 3/4/2022 at 6:44 PM, anewbie said:

My flamingo crypt is up when shaded and down when unshaded (i.e, light level).

How long does this transformation take?  It will be interesting to see if my crypt. stays down or stands up.

It looks like @Streetwise's guess of  phototropism might be the best answer overall.  The pictures below are my Crypt: when purchased 1-21, after a severe trimming 9-21, and now 2-22.  Same plant, same location.  the only change is that the floating Anacharis has relocated itself to the opposite side of the tank. (more light) There is also more natural light in this corner, and the majority of the Vallisneria Spiralis runners are coming up here.

Cryptocor.jpg

Crypt red.jpg

CRYPT.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 9:40 AM, Tanked said:

How long does this transformation take?  It will be interesting to see if my crypt. stays down or stands up.

For my crypt flamingo it doesn't take long - a day or two. Remember the plant isn't changing the leaves size or shape it is just raising or lowering them.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 11:25 AM, anewbie said:

For my crypt flamingo it doesn't take long - a day or two. Remember the plant isn't changing the leaves size or shape it is just raising or lowering them.

A change over a few days as opposed to a few weeks should make it easier to identify what causes the change. Thanks.

Something I noticed this morning while checking my QT tank (which has become more of a plant over flow area). Root tabs and water column ferts both, most likely impact crypts leaves to stand. I don't usually dose LF in my QT tank but recently I have. This morning I noticed a crypt that is usually flat with raised leaves. LF is the only thing I've changed in the last week.