Guppy fin mutation

Minanora

I have a strain of guppies that had produced three fry with this strange tail fin mutation. They have normal tails, but then this extra length on random sections. This happened with one male in my Gen1 and on two females in my Gen2. At first I thought they got injured, but that's definitely not the case.

Anyone else have this happen? The male developed color and sexually matured very early. His pectoral fins are shaped similar to bat wings and he has ribbons. He's beautiful, but should I call him a cull? And what about the females? They are still to young to show much color.

Photos of the females. The second one only has the extra length on the very middle of the fan. It's hard to see on the second one.

Screenshot_20220304-073731_Gallery.jpg.18d744bc4dbf9985859124ab67409f6d.jpg

20220303_204914.jpg.08026716287323dc6f32f32bbb2ba7b6.jpg

Edited by Minanora
Switched photo of first female

On the first one the extra tail length is called swordtail. It is just one of the never ending guppy gene variations. 
edit to add …I just saw this. I’m guessing Rapunzel would not let her hair down 🤣

0BC27B05-35A1-4E3E-9BF6-A939CF27248E.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Haha 2

@Guppysnail OMG that snail! 🤣

I don't think that's a swordtail gene. However I've never seen swordtail guppy fry. But her tail almost looks like a normal tail with ribbons coming off of it. I thought it was flukes at first sight, but it's definitely tail. But even if it's a swordtail trait, how often does this happen on females? Then, is this even healthy for a fish? Or is she a "cull"?

Here's a zoomed photo to get the actual swordtail tail out of the photo. 😁

Screenshot_20220304-073731_Gallery.jpg.6f810e889cbdbfb8c1224151d89f59d0.jpg

Maybe.... Yeah, I don't know... I have no idea how the yellow tiger king cobra strain got developed so that is a possibility. Here is the male I was talking about. His pectoral bat wing fins, ribbon pelvic fins, and his dorsal fin that has grown out.

Screenshot_20220304-074816_Gallery.jpg.790e3ed15c2a36adf832d7934180a3f9.jpgScreenshot_20220304-074716_Gallery.jpg.ceddcdb73a95cdad94dcd758257605b9.jpgScreenshot_20220304-074922_Gallery.jpg.4bb8d99fe121703d1281d876f1060a8a.jpg.

Here's a video of the boys. The first male on screen is the one in question. The others with large tails (there's two) are P1 generation. The other boys with smaller tails that are about the same size are Gen1. The one I'm talking about is Gen1 but developed several weeks earlier than the rest of Gen1.

Edited by Minanora
Autocorrect

@Cory see, this is one of the reasons I think it would be awesome to have a guppy breeder (maybe not a commercial breeder) talk about traits and strains. I love doing my own research but I'm sure a member video about in-depth guppy breeding would be a big hit!

There are just so many types of guppies, even without crossing with Endlers.

I would put together my own findings if I had the space and time to have a large room full of guppy tanks. My spouse would not be amused though. His support of me having 5 tanks is running on fumes. 🤣

Edited by Minanora
I'm tired and apparently need to do more research.

On 3/4/2022 at 7:47 AM, Guppysnail said:

Oh that one. I did not notice her.  I thought you meant this one. I do not have any swordtail guppy experience so not a clue. That tail though I have never seen anything like it. I’m curious to see it grow out. 

1CD64697-3A2B-4551-A488-2A334679CC2F.jpeg

??? Maybe ???

3B91EECB-32A4-4135-AC41-7ED9878CF393.png

I removed the photo that had Mushroom the red wag swordtail in it. He is very curious but makes this topic confusing. 🤣🤦‍♀️

I have no info about the tail type you are asking about, but I want to say ❤️❤️❤️ about the male guppy who swims through at the 31 second mark, with the two big lightbright swords for a tail. Some of my mutts are like that and I would like to make more. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 3/4/2022 at 1:07 PM, PineSong said:

I have no info about the tail type you are asking about, but I want to say ❤️❤️❤️ about the male guppy who swims through at the 31 second mark, with the two big lightbright swords for a tail. Some of my mutts are like that and I would like to make more. 

That's Goby! He's the Price of the tank. Such a great personality. We got him in May last year. He's a Lyretail guppy. He's super mellow with the other guppies and is very friendly towards people, even after feeding time. He's the oldest guppy we have now. Shiva being the next oldest.

Ah, mine with a similar tail was born here to one of my "whale" guppy moms, but I don't know which one and no clue who dad was, so I'm thinking that in order to make more of them I should breed him back to his sister/cousin/whoever she may be that came from the same batch of moms. They were born in QT so it was a free for all. I love the long lean body type with double tail.

• Like 1