changing the use of a tank

LilOne

ok I don't expect that I would be able to use it for fish but I just wanted to ask the question in case there is a way to safely clean it to be used for fish.  I have my bearded dragon in a 40 gal tank.  My fiance is thinking about getting her an open front enclosure so I was wondering if it would be possible to to clean the 40 to use for fish at some point?  If not that is fine.  I will let it go to someone who needs it for reptiles but I figure if I have it I may as well use it.

TIA,

LilOne

Unless a bearded dragon is a magical beast with poison poop and cursed urine, I don't see why the tank could not be cleaned. There may be some incantation that must be recited while cleaning, or some potion that must be used, but I will leave that to the experts.

Fill it with water first and see if it leaks,

• Haha 2

Although I want to see @HH Morant chanting while cleaning 🤣 it is not needed. I had beardies and reptiles and amphibians. I have also used wood from these tanks in aquariums. Just spray it with hydrogen peroxide rinse and wipe. In a dragon cage there shouldn’t be mineral deposits but those will come off with white vinegar sprayed and allowed to sit for a few minutes before wiping. 
you will never regret the exo-terra front open. They make cleanup and just everything so easy. Including when best friends want to visit 🥰

10AAB2FC-1B75-4DA8-9085-23F08BCC4160.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

@Guppysnail @HH Morant do either of you happen to know if this is true of a tank that previously housed a rodent? This was before I had knowledge of the cycle, and the info was from a pet store owner I don't trust, but I was told the ammonia in the urine stays in the tank forever and the bacteria will never be able to keep up. I have a tank that's been sitting unused because of this. 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:08 PM, Cinnebuns said:

@Guppysnail @HH Morant do either of you happen to know if this is true of a tank that previously housed a rodent? This was before I had knowledge of the cycle, and the info was from a pet store owner I don't trust, but I was told the ammonia in the urine stays in the tank forever and the bacteria will never be able to keep up. I have a tank that's been sitting unused because of this. 

No rodent knowledge sorry I’m unable to help. 

My last tank before my current interest in planted tanks was a 20 gal that had previously housed my daughter’s Hamster. I cleaned it thoroughly with soap and water and that’s it. It housed a happy little school of Harlequin Rasboras for close to three years. 

• Like 2

They do make specific tanks for reptiles that are not as thick in the glass department, reportedly turtle tanks sometimes are also included in this. If this was an Aqueon 40 b fish tank used for a beardy cool. Just wanted to throw this out there. 
Good luck with the new enclosure saw one recently before COVID with my son while looking to potentially adopt a beardy named Albus. FD495E5A-54C5-4378-98D6-48FD01860142.jpeg.977fa7426d676d65b885e556417c13fd.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:34 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

They do make specific tanks for reptiles that are not as thick in the glass department, reportedly turtle tanks sometimes are also included in this. If this was an Aqueon 40 b fish tank used for a beardy cool. Just wanted to throw this out there. 
Good luck with the new enclosure saw one recently before COVID with my son while looking to potentially adopt a beardy named Albus. FD495E5A-54C5-4378-98D6-48FD01860142.jpeg.977fa7426d676d65b885e556417c13fd.jpeg

Go to bed=have reactions.  Wake up ORD?..  😍😍😍

• Haha 2

As @Beardedbillygoat1975said, there are some tanks, 40 breeder is the largest I believe that were made specifically for reptiles and it has much thinner glass. You will want to make sure it's not one of those. Also, just check out the silicone seams, beardies do have nails that could scratch at the silicone and possibly weaken it. If the silicone looks good, and its not one of the reptile cages, I'd clean it good, you can use Dawn dish soap, just clean and rinse well. I've done it many times and I am almost certain I've heard @Dean’s Fishroomsay in a video or podcast before that he does too when cleaning a tank. Set the tank on a level surface and fill it up to check for leaks. If no leaks, put it where you want it and get it set up for fish!