White mold spots in hob

CaveeMann

Hi. I’m not certain it is mold. White stuff that looks very much like this collects about my airlines usually where it attaches to the sponge as well as my canister hose connections. Here is a pic of a dry airline. I just cleaned most of my sponges so can’t pull to take wet pics. You can see it n my hose connector wet though. It also collects in my canisters and occasionally my hobs. I believe it to just be a collection of oils, minerals, food particles etc as it will take on a hue of different fry foods I feed depending on how long I feed each tank with what food. Freeze dried cyclops collects like that notoriously fast in my tanks. There is no way I could tell you what yours is for certain but it looks very much like what I have seen in my tanks and it has never caused me issue. I hope that helps. 

5ED57D0F-F60A-42EA-B692-D812882B7528.jpeg

3D9E4082-3C8F-4F20-8D3B-CA50FCFD6BC2.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
Add photos

On 3/3/2022 at 3:06 PM, Guppysnail said:

Hi. I’m not certain it is mold. White stuff that looks very much like this collects about my airlines usually where it attaches to the sponge as well as my canister hose connections. Here is a pic of a dry airline. I just cleaned most of my sponges so can’t pull to take wet pics. You can see it n my hose connector wet though. It also collects in my canisters and occasionally my hobs. I believe it to just be a collection of oils, minerals, food particles etc as it will take on a hue of different fry foods I feed depending on how long I feed each tank with what food. Freeze dried cyclops collects like that notoriously fast in my tanks. There is no way I could tell you what yours is for certain but it looks very much like what I have seen in my tanks and it has never caused me issue. I hope that helps. 

5ED57D0F-F60A-42EA-B692-D812882B7528.jpeg

3D9E4082-3C8F-4F20-8D3B-CA50FCFD6BC2.jpeg

I get something like that on my airlines. I don't know exactly what it is but.....My new bristle nose Pleco ate it all. Completely clean. Makes me think it's some kind of algae???

On 3/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, lefty o said:

the white crud that usually grows in/on/around an aquarium is typically calcium/mineral buildup. cant entirely rule out a mold on something right at the top of the water line, but probably minerals.

I know what you mean but mine was like a kind of slime. I'm gonna guess water mold that Bristle Nose Plecos like for dinner. 🙂

I've never seen calcium grow under water, only like you said at the water line up top.

On 3/2/2022 at 3:41 PM, CaveeMann said:

Why is there little white mold spots growing on packet of purigen in my hang on the back filter0DCAADB6-D05B-4AF3-9D88-0A34ED3A5487.jpeg.8b9c2084dea0baf3e1a852c7b19743ae.jpeg

Is it slimy? 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott