Cleaning a limewood airstone.

eatyourpeas

Hi, if you have a jewelry cleaner of any size or power, fill the tub with peroxide and run it for 5-15 minutes. The airstone will be like it's new.

The ultrasound drives the peroxide into the stone, loosening the organics, and then it's forced back out by the ultrasound. It takes forever in plain water but in peroxide, it's a 15-minute session.

It's very effective but if you leave it for too long, it'll dissolve the airstone!

So given the variations in jewelry cleaners and their power, I'd check on the stone say, every 5 minutes to make sure it's not starting to dissolve. 

I have some of those 12" long air stones that inevitably clog at the far end. A dip of the bad end in this for a few minutes' evens out the flow. 

It works even better if you fill the tub with alcohol. But 91% alcohol is flammable, so I'd stay at 70% or less for this. With alcohol as the solution, it's VERY fast so watch the stone doesn't dissolve. 

With my 19-watt jewelry cleaner, it takes 15 minutes to completely renew an airstone in peroxide and 5 minutes (or less) in alcohol.

Given ultrasound can ignite flammable fluids, I can wait for the peroxide! 

On 3/2/2022 at 11:47 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Hi, if you have a jewelry cleaner of any size or power, fill the tub with peroxide and run it for 5-15 minutes. The airstone will be like it's new.

Thanks for the advice. However, I do not have an ultrasound cleaner (don't wear jewelry, don't like it) so that won't work. 🙃

I will try the peroxide if the Dremel brush is not able to loosen the gunk. It has been running for seven months, so it is due for a clean.

• 2 weeks later...

These are all great suggestions. The airstone was not really clogged, just very gunky. It had been in for 8 months, so after cleaning it, half of the wood was gone. It still works, but it may be time to replace it at this point. I have a new one ready to put in if the bubbles falter. 🙂