Propagating mellon sword?

I’ve read that you can cut swords down the middle and they will slowly heal.  I’m not that brave or maybe I’m just more foolish with my money.  I would expect them to eventually send out a bloom stalk with baby plantlets on it.  Swords will also divide themselves sometimes at the base or grow a little buddy plant.  I haven’t had my melons long enough for them to do that.  I have had big Amazon swords long enough for them to send out flower stalks with baby plantlets that I will eventually cut off the mother sword and plant.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:32 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’ve read that you can cut swords down the middle and they will slowly heal.  I’m not that brave or maybe I’m just more foolish with my money.  I would expect them to eventually send out a bloom stalk with baby plantlets on it.  Swords will also divide themselves sometimes at the base or grow a little buddy plant.  I haven’t had my melons long enough for them to do that.  I have had big Amazon swords long enough for them to send out flower stalks with baby plantlets that I will eventually cut off the mother sword and plant.

Thanks, this is my first sword. Ive seen info about propagating giant swords by stripping em down but when it comes to mellon swords the YouTube algorithms seem to spit out primarily giant sword information instead of mellon sword info. 

On 3/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, brandonnaturally said:

It will eventually put off a "spike" or stolon with plantlets on it which can be separated out and propagated that way. Wait till the plantlets have decent roots before separating them and you'll have better success!

That's what my ozelot swords do.  They'll send out shoots above the water line with 5 - 8 nodes.  Each node will first have flower buds that will bloom with some nice white flowers.  While the blooms are opening leaves will also appear at each node, and after blooming stops they'll sprout roots.

I don't know if it's the right thing to do or not, but when the blooming stops I bend the shoot to get the nodes just below the top of the water.