Aquahuna

Leo2o915

I'm pretty sure aquahuna is one of the few places we can talk about.  It also has the co-op thumbs up and I believe the store gets some of their fish there.  I doubt cory would buy or affiliate with them if they didn't meet high standards.

EDIT: Also it appears aquahuna gets auto linked so thats a pretty direct endorsement from ACO

Edited by CT_
  • Like 2

I have purchased the emerald x1 and the pygmy x3.  In my experience, all were packaged well and all fish arrived alive well. No evidence of any disease, though I did quarantine. I had to let the pygmy get a bit bigger in my QT tank before I put them in my betta tank, as I was concerned the betta would eat them due to the size.  All fish took readily to nearly all foods that I introduced.  

• Like 2

On 2/28/2022 at 1:29 PM, Ben_RF said:

I have purchased the emerald x1 and the pygmy x3.  In my experience, all were packaged well and all fish arrived alive well. No evidence of any disease, though I did quarantine. I had to let the pygmy get a bit bigger in my QT tank before I put them in my betta tank, as I was concerned the betta would eat them due to the size.  All fish took readily to nearly all foods that I introduced.  

How many you got with your betta 

I find them ok for cheap schooling fishes but i have noticed some defects in their fishes so i consider them 'b' stock; also the rams i ordered from them had definitely problems and 1 of them should not have been sold. They have very cheap shipping and very liberal warranty for mail order places so tthose are plus. I would use them for rasbora and such and shrimp but not sure i would order angels, gbr or cichlid from them. Also they don't sex fishes which is also important (to me) when ordering cichlid. If i were to order a betta from them I would want to see it first.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

I don't have experience ordering the fish you specifically mentioned, but I do plan to buy pygmy cories once I have my tank ready. I did order my pea puffers from them. The fish came healthy and very lively. I was also able to speak with someone directly over the phone to ask questions about the fish prior to ordering, which I think is very cool and rare. Highly recommend them! 

• Like 1

I ordered my pair of Nerite snails from them. They only ship Mon-Wed so hopefully the fish don't get lost in the mail over the weekend. Mine arrived Priority USPS (2-day) with a heater pack in styrofoam. Both Nerites are doing well (although one took over a week to settle in). I'm happy with the purchase, especially since my local stores said they hadn't seen Nerites come in for a long time and weren't expecting to be able to get any in the near future.

• Like 1

I have had bad luck in general with shipping fish thus why I now only buy local, it definitely curbs my options but our LFS is pretty nice. Unfortunately, I did buy some hillstream loaches from Aquahuna and they did not arrive alive but this was during Covid when shipping was terrible. They were stuck in Seattle for WAY longer than should have been waiting to get a flight out and I live on the east coast. So I do not blame Aquahuna and they gave me a refund. It was just awful getting my shipment on my birthday and opening a box of dead fish. Again, nothing agains Aquahuna this was clearly a shipping issue. 

Washington state residents can’t mail order fish from them but I’ve bought their fish from a LFS that doesn’t have a rigorous quarantine process  like Aquarium co-op. I figure those fish are pretty close to what you would be getting from the mail. They were very small but otherwise healthy and inexpensive. My loss rate in the first few weeks was definitely higher than fish from the co-op. 

I accidentally bought an emerald dwarf rasbora from them--it came mixed into my order of embers.  Turns out as juveniles they look identical.  He's done well with his ember tank mates 🙂  I didn't lose any of the embers (or the rasbora), and I don't have totally ideal water conditions for the embers, so I was especially pleased with their adaptability and robustness.   As others have mentioned, they tend to ship small fish.

Overall, I think aquahuna does a good job shipping for a reasonable rate and packs things well.  I'd definintely buy most fish from them again, but their parameters are quite a bit different than mine, so if I can get things locally (esp. from a club or breeder) I do. 

The glodanios and gold laser corydoras I bought shipped well.   I did have problems with internal parasites and lost 2 danios before I could get them treated fully with General Cure but everyone else survived.   I have only done one order with them.