After I finish my fight with Ick (different thread), I plan on combining my tanks and rehousing some fish. What is the best way to move carpeting plants? I have a Dwarf Sagittaria that is blowing up in my 5.5 (I am very new to plants) along side it is my dwarf hair grass which is growing well. What is the best way to move these plants? 

28F637EE-7E50-4045-9E9B-6711AF197B1E.jpeg

FFDFA7CB-927C-475E-9D89-67C576354D40.jpeg

I have been very nervous to disrupt my tank (cleaning or otherwise) since the Ick started. Please be kind, I am aware that my 5 gallon looks abysmal.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ha! Your 5g looks good. Don’t be so hard on yourself. There’s two kind of aquarists: those who’ve had ich and those who will. Also don’t worry about disturbing the tank. If you already (successfully) treated it messing up the tank will not cause another outbreak.

There’s a few things you can try to move the carpeting plants. One might be gently tease it out.   Another might be making a shallow plastic dish, like a take out soup container cut to be about 1-2 inches high. Take the rocks and what ever else you can easily remove out then scoop out the hair grass, gravel and all. You can then bury the container in the new tank so the plastic is not that visible. This will allow the plants to adjust to the new surrounding and keep most of the roots intact. Eventually you can leave the container to allow for easier movement in the future or turn the whole plant out after a couple weeks of settling in.

Be prepared for dirty looking water and some die back of the plants. I’m sure it will turn out great though!

• Like 2

Neither of your tanks look abysmal! You have cool rocks and driftwood in one and beautiful plants in the other. As @ScottieB said, don't be so hard on yourself! We all go through rough patches. Besides, those pristine tanks we see online are neither realistic or the absolute best for our fishy friends, in my humble opinion. 

• Love 1