Smaller -Dwarf Aponogeton Crispus

Bev C

i really like the look of the Aponogeton Crispus  but i saw it gets very big is there a smaller version relative .. or would the  Aponogeton Crispus work in my tank i have a 55 gallon  low tech no co2 and want it tall  to go in back  corner to hide my canister filter intake  thanks 

Edited by Bev C

On 2/27/2022 at 5:04 PM, FrozenFins said:

I have a aponogeton madagascariensis. Its in in my 40 gallon, and doing just fine. I beleive both species grow simillar. I'm tagging @Guppysnail and @anewbie. I believe both of these members own a few species of aponongeten and can offer more advice then I.

I have longiplumulous (sp?) and ulvaceus. Both outgrew 29 & 40b but I like it. I just tagged @Hobbit on another thread to see if not letting them flower keeps them from going dormant. @Beardedbillygoat1975 I believe has madagascariensis in his Sad Bowl and possibly knows more about others. 

This is the ulvaceus 40b it hides a lot 

8A3B2811-90B9-4833-B2B9-38B59339BB4E.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

In a low-tech tank ulvaceus might be ok but the reason i dislike this plant is that it has a habit of hibernating a lot so you never know when it will fill your tank or leave it void. I've had them for about 3 years now. As i noted the cripus won't grow that large (not sure what source said they got large); there are 3 or 4 variety of madagascariensis commonly sold. The large leaf version (sometime labelled as var Henkelianus) can get quite large in a tank with co2; even without co2 it is not small but would easily fit in a 55. The narrow leaf variety (plain madagascariensis) is very small even in high-tech. longiplumulous is not bad - the leaves are long but narrow and not too plentiful - this is very different than ulvaceus which can dominate the tank. Not sure if it hibernate - mine is only about 8 months old - it is also a bit of a slow grower.

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:11 PM, Jennifer V said:

I read that crispus needs soft, acidic water. Have you found that to be true? 

Mine did fine in neutral condition - gh 7 kh 3 ph 7.0; a book i have on them said this is one species that require storing in a drier environment during rest period. I have a 3 year old one that has entered a rest period and i have not been able to get it to resprout yet (but the bulb on this plant has gotten quite large - at 1.5 inch long). I have read that often a hybrid is sold that has different rest properties (i'm not sure how to identify the hybrid). Mine went dormant after approx 3 years but it reduce new growth significantly before then. i originally had it in Boston before i moved and I'm not sure of the original water conditions. It was one of the items i put in my car and drove two days - also had some kuhli, cardinals, swordtails and few other fishes in the car with me. Anyway that is the extent of my experience with this plant. The book i have on them say they do better in soft acidic but does not provide specifics. It also say they need to be removed and stored in drier area periodically (again no details of what drier means) - i .e, dry or less damp). 

-

This is a picture I have of when it did well; sadly I was taking a picture of the fish and not the plant so i don't have the full plant but it was not horribly large - i would guess around 10-14 inches tall and fairly tight compared to some other apongeton - so maybe 6-8 inches wide.

f1.jpg.e34d39e678b806331eb82af9d0d591c7.jpg

Edited by anewbie

On 2/27/2022 at 11:57 PM, anewbie said:

Mine did fine in neutral condition - gh 7 kh 3 ph 7.0; a book i have on them said this is one species that require storing in a drier environment during rest period. I have a 3 year old one that has entered a rest period and i have not been able to get it to resprout yet (but the bulb on this plant has gotten quite large - at 1.5 inch long). I have read that often a hybrid is sold that has different rest properties (i'm not sure how to identify the hybrid). Mine went dormant after approx 3 years but it reduce new growth significantly before then. i originally had it in Boston before i moved and I'm not sure of the original water conditions. It was one of the items i put in my car and drove two days - also had some kuhli, cardinals, swordtails and few other fishes in the car with me. Anyway that is the extent of my experience with this plant. The book i have on them say they do better in soft acidic but does not provide specifics. It also say they need to be removed and stored in drier area periodically (again no details of what drier means) - i .e, dry or less damp). 

-

This is a picture I have of when it did well; sadly I was taking a picture of the fish and not the plant so i don't have the full plant but it was not horribly large - i would guess around 10-14 inches tall and fairly tight compared to some other apongeton - so maybe 6-8 inches wide.

f1.jpg.e34d39e678b806331eb82af9d0d591c7.jpg

Thank you for the info! And Wow! That was quite a trek with all of those plants and fish in tow. Good for you! I'm very impressed! 

I really want to try aponogeton in my next tank. @Guppysnailyours is so beautiful and inspired me but I don't like that they go dormant and I also have hard water. I thought that I remembered that you do too. Was @Hobbitable to shed some light on how to avoid the dormant stage? 

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 3:52 AM, Jennifer V said:

Thank you for the info! And Wow! That was quite a trek with all of those plants and fish in tow. Good for you! I'm very impressed! 

I really want to try aponogeton in my next tank. @Guppysnailyours is so beautiful and inspired me but I don't like that they go dormant and I also have hard water. I thought that I remembered that you do too. Was @Hobbitable to shed some light on how to avoid the dormant stage? 

hibernation is species dependent and some are african plants and other more asian (india and such). My boivinianus hasn't hibernated in 3 years but of course one day i might regret not giving it rest period - it also grows quite a bit when happy but is so lovely:

b3.jpg.404487e086de57dc292e1a541e11d055.jpg

• Like 1