Aquashella Orlando

StevesFishTanks

Orlando event was great. Seemed like a bigger turnout than last year.  I live in the Tampa Bay area and it was really cool to see several of my local fish club members running their own booths this time around.

@Cory @Zenzo The co-op booth and crew was great.  That mountain of shirts, free to all attendees, was impressive. The member sweatpants even cooler.  Thank you for your time and advice. I will be looking into a magnetic option as you suggested.

-s1

IMG_5770.jpg

• Like 10
  • Love 3

Had an awesome time today at Aquashella too. The co-op booth was great and definitely was a lot of peoples’ first stop as evident from solid lines for shirts, sweatpants and the opportunity to meet @Cory, @Irene, and @Zenzo. No other booth drew those crowds so hats off to ya’ll. The gameshow was also packed and I lucked out (who knew having a spongebob decor would one day come in handy) getting the last giveaway murphy hat . Between the sweatpants, shirt and hat, my wife asked me to let you know she, “thanks you for dressing me.”

Besides the coop I got to meet a great number of hobbyists and companies local to us in FL - Got some christmas moss from Badfish, A sexed pair of wildcaught Everglades Pygmy Sunfish (Elassoma evergladei) and microworm culture from Ryan at Wild Fish Tanks (pls take me collecting), some wood pieces, and went a bit crazy gathering as many freebie stickers as I could…I may have gone overboard

189D7401-BC4B-48D1-A0E2-44EF44CD7E63.jpeg.33cc6a45333313e56a9dc0407400dd88.jpeg

E2F6B4F4-868C-44CE-8A3E-A7321DDB84A3.jpeg.2fdf216c847df0de577cd63133353aa0.jpeg

It was pretty cool getting to attend a 30-min George Farmer aquascaping workshop, the dude is a machine….they gave the entire scaped tank away for free at the end, only about 30 ppl were in attendance so heck of a chance for a great prize. 

31FB8BA6-CE17-4D17-BAA0-201D30900126.jpeg.5ea44b1cac9f8c691ee5512bbc18c1b7.jpeg

Lastly, thanks for the pizza, I think I ate more than I’d care to admit, but at least I got my steps in today. The Q&A was really great. Cory’s passion to educate while being entertaining was on full display. (you may need to work on reducing your pond squirrel murder though!)

D4774DA8-A386-49BD-B96E-B099B795901D.jpeg.3b56060602411d4d6f188e205df6d9b4.jpeg

Edited by 813aquatics
  • Like 11

@813aquatics, you did a great job summing up the experience. I was super nervous to attend (I've developed some kind of weird covid agoraphobia), but I'm so glad I went! The George Farmer workshop was definitely a highlight. It was a little disorienting seeing so many of my favorite "celebrities" just walking around or running booths like regular people! I just wandered by and was like, "holy crap, that's George Farmer!!"

The Coop team were incredibly efficient, kind, and welcoming. I loved the member meetup and hearing all @Cory 's stories. That guy is a great entertainer, and he never seemed tired or impatient or frustrated. I was surprised at how approachable and genuine he stayed after like 12+ hours of meeting fans. The member meetup was a really chill and relaxing experience after being overwhelmed all day at the convention. It was cool to meet people and realize, "oh, you're that member in the chat who has the 75g 'nano' tank! I remember you! Do you have any photos??"

All this to say: the club has given me a sense of community and social interaction during a really difficult time for me, and this event helped me overcome some major hurdles. I'm so grateful to @Cory for coming up with the idea, to @Zenzo for his hard work to make it a reality, to @Irene for her support at the event, and to all the club members for their support in making it happen.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I swore I was not going to miss aqua shells in Orlando because I’m so close. I missed the livebear show in Fort Lauderdale and due to a heat attack aquashella. Now I’m planning on Chicago it I can get cleared to fly by then. If I don’t pack any clothes I can bring home just under 100lbs or we will have to stop for fuel way to offen. In those two seaters every pound counts. How to see everyone next time

@813aquatics nice haul, lots of swag. The rolling cooler I bring with me to fish swaps/meetings is decorated with many of the same stickers. Got a few new ones this year to add to it.

@clovenpine I agree, Cory and crew did a great job. I wish I could have made the members meet up at 7. I had to leave around 5.

@Brandon p I would definitely recommend checking out the next one, especially being local.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:53 PM, Cory said:

Flying home now. Totally tired. Thanks to everyone who came out. I’ll see everyone at aquashella Dallas.

This is the first I'm hearing that y'all will be in Dallas! My daughter has been asking if we can make the trip up from Austin. This might have just sealed the deal!

• Like 2

I’ve never been to any kind of convention, but being local, splurged on the two day pass. Great event and a lot of inspiration after seeing all the stuff people sold or presented. It is weird getting to meet people you’ve watched hours of content from during the pandemic in the flesh. They have no idea who I am, but I am thankful for all they’ve taught me the last two years as I got into the hobby in earnest. I also lightened my wallet a lot, but now I’ve got new projects and ideas on the horizon. And getting a giant piece of spider wood in the charity auction was a good capper. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 5:47 PM, Patrick_G said:

Heart attack?! 😲 You recovering ok? 

They say I’m better than before. They put a couple of stents in. I was eating right and exercising doing things I was supposed to but stress will get you. I do have a long term chronic illness but the doctors said  it was part that and part broken heart syndrome.(divorce is on going)The second is very rare and just exacerbated my older illness that can cause  blood clots and block the heart. The ydidn’t have to open my chest but I died several times and had cpr and was shocked several times on the way to the hospital. I was luck because they were about to give up but my sister is a paramedic and most of them know me so I was lucky. I didn’t have the normal symptoms more of a pain in the muscle that is under the younger. After about 30 mins of it getting worse I called 911 reluctantly and the last think I remember is telling the neighbor I would my father soon that wasn’t bad. 4 days later I woke from a comma with a breathing tube and two later I’m home. If anyone wants to know more I can post it some where else as this probably in the best place but I think I can help people if they have questions about how it feel before and when not to a take a chance. 

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

On 2/28/2022 at 1:16 AM, Brandon p said:

They say I’m better than before. They put a couple of stents in. I was eating right and exercising doing things I was supposed to but stress will get you. I do have a long term chronic illness but the doctors said  it was part that and part broken heart syndrome.(divorce is on going)The second is very rare and just exacerbated my older illness that can cause  blood clots and block the heart. The ydidn’t have to open my chest but I died several times and had cpr and was shocked several times on the way to the hospital. I was luck because they were about to give up but my sister is a paramedic and most of them know me so I was lucky. I didn’t have the normal symptoms more of a pain in the muscle that is under the younger. After about 30 mins of it getting worse I called 911 reluctantly and the last think I remember is telling the neighbor I would my father soon that wasn’t bad. 4 days later I woke from a comma with a breathing tube and two later I’m home. If anyone wants to know more I can post it some where else as this probably in the best place but I think I can help people if they have questions about how it feel before and when not to a take a chance. 

Glad you’re alive!

• Like 1

This needs all the ❤️❤️❤️ 

On 2/28/2022 at 10:00 AM, Patrick_G said:

@Brandon p, I’m glad you’re out of the hospital, that’s a scary story. I don’t think I have any underlying conditions but I’m a 50 yo man who ate way to much bacon in the 2000s. Stories like yours are a big wake up call. 

Patrick, stress literally kills.... It's why I appreciate Cory's "Touch Nature Daily"... we are all interconnected.

• Like 3

I wanted to go so bad being only an hour from the venue. However, being understaffed at work got me. I had to sleep all day and work all night... maybe the next time something is close I'll be able to get time off. I'm glad to see so many got to get out and enjoy it though! 

It was my first aquarium convention. It was a little overwhelming but awesome! So much to see. I think this may have even made my husband a little more excited about keeping fish. When we got home he started measuring open spots in the house. I’m not about to argue. Haha! We are already taking care of 7 aquariums, what’s a few more?? Maybe seeing this many fish excited people in one spot is what it took to convert him. Now he’s looking into building stands and such. Of course the highlight for me was getting to meet Corey, Zenzo and Irene. Yes the line was long but they were so gracious even after standing there all day. I know I was exhausted by the end so I can only imagine how they felt. I left the event Sunday evening feeling like it was worth the 8+ hour drive. The only thing I might personally do different next time is give ourselves an extra day to recover before heading back. Thank you for all you do! You have a great team and your education is invaluable. 
 P.S.  Looking forward to the members meeting group photo 😁

On 3/1/2022 at 2:34 AM, CoriNotCory said:

I wanted to go so bad being only an hour from the venue. However, being understaffed at work got me. I had to sleep all day and work all night... maybe the next time something is close I'll be able to get time off. I'm glad to see so many got to get out and enjoy it though! 

I missed to and so close sounds like a road trip for the next one