“Resting” Water for Bettas, Killis

Fish Folk

I hate to admit it, but I’ve _never_ “rested” Water. The idea is that giving water 24+ hrs from tap to rest allowed things to gas’s off, chemistry to settle down, etc. My motive was to add some tannins via Catappa leaf + Alder cones + Rooibos tea before topping off my Betta and Killi tanks.

I did use Prime, though maybe unnecessary, and added light botanicals.

919B657E-B207-4AA6-ADFC-A7DA48CB33F3.jpeg.d3443fdd503f1088217d88282be010a0.jpeg

Here’s a look a day later…

6E0BBF07-7F8D-40DD-8FAA-E45409AAFBA2.jpeg.7cd928ad758d72f3f0a2a001678885ed.jpeg

And here’s how I siphon, with a panty-hose over the pail end to keep cone fragments out…

2BCB1BD9-2CB3-4CFB-8393-9EF67FCD61F2.jpeg.084811e08885f8222b4d035069f8d683.jpeg

I have added botanicals to the tank itself as well. Temperature difference is a caution. The temp dipped 10°-F from sitting in my cold basement. With heaters though, that will bounce back. It should feel like “rain.”

• Like 2

I have found it easier for me (I only have 6 smaller tanks from 20 gallon down) when I started this hobby to have 1 gallon bottles at the ready for water changes. So since the beginning I've been filling those from tap and treating the water. They stayed out about 24 hours (dunno why, just did it this way made sense for one reason or another- including temperature) before I'd cap them and put them away or use them. 

Recently I started getting Catappa leaves. I boil one in my stock pot with about 3 gallons of water then I let that sit until it's cool enough to pour bits into each 1 gallon bottle, I get about 2-3 inches of concentrated tea per each bottle then I fill them up with tap and treat them- but they still sit out uncapped for 24hrs. 

Sounds like a lot of work but this far in it hardly takes up any time. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 10:27 PM, Fish Folk said:

I did use Prime, though maybe unnecessary, and added light botanicals.

Leaving water to off gas will get rid of chlorine it won't remove chloramine from you water that why it best to use a water dechlorinator

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 6:27 AM, Fish Folk said:

I hate to admit it, but I’ve _never_ “rested” Water. The idea is that giving water 24+ hrs from tap to rest allowed things to gas’s off, chemistry to settle down

I "rest" water for some of my tanks. If I had room to store enough water, I'd do it for all. The advantage is that I don't have to worry about water temperature, as it automatically adjusts itself to the room T; and filling small tanks from 1g bottles is easier than using a bucket+pump combo. I don't treat the water with anything, just let it sit for several days without lids/caps.

On 2/27/2022 at 8:12 AM, Colu said:

Leaving water to off gas will get rid of chlorine it won't remove chloramine from you water that why it best to use a water dechlorinator

It depends, I'd say....I use water conditioner tablets and some of my fish (angels, congos, bettas) don't take it well. They are much better with water changes from a bucket/bottles that have stood open for while (normally for a whole week, but occasional 24 hours is fine too).  Other fishes seems fine with the conditioned water so that's what they get. 

• Like 1