Please Help!!!

Stacy

Hi @Stacy welcome to the forum. 

Looks like you might have a few things going on. Please tell us about your tank. How many gallons. How long has it been running. If you test your water, tell us your parameters. Also tell us what kind of light you use, how long is it on and temperature of the tank. What are your occupants?

I think so far you have a at least of couple issues. It appears you have Hydra on your sponge filter (the white things with little branch like appendages) They are not necessarily an issue and not an algae of course. Sometimes beneficial. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

65 gallon high. I've had it up and running for a few years now. I have a fluval light but honestly can't remember which one, I leave it on for 10 hours. I've never had this problem before. Only parameters I was able to take are the aquarium Co op strips. Not sure how to even test for kh and other things like that. I have very hard water, nitrates at 50, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia. I have 32 Cardinal tetras and 15 harlequin rasboras and 8 corydoras.

On 2/26/2022 at 4:28 PM, lefty o said:

it appears to be staghorn. my first question is how many hours of light a day does the tank get?

10 hours for about 2 months. Before that it was 6 hours but upped the hours when I added new plants and more plants

On 2/26/2022 at 4:29 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi @Stacy welcome to the forum. 

Looks like you might have a few things going on. Please tell us about your tank. How many gallons. How long has it been running. If you test your water, tell us your parameters. Also tell us what kind of light you use, how long is it on and temperature of the tank. What are your occupants?

I think so far you have a at least of couple issues. It appears you have Hydra on your sponge filter (the white things with little branch like appendages) They are not necessarily an issue and not an algae of course. Sometimes beneficial. 

I've been looking up what it could be for over a week now and haven't been able to find anything that looks like it. I just googled Hydra since that's what you said and that's exactly what it looks like. So I'm going to do some searching now to figure out what that is and what to do. Thank you so much

No worries, you may have some algae as well. Hydra usually multiply when you try and clean them off the glass which is usually where they start- they are like starfish in that if they lose a limb they grow another. Be careful with recommended treatments as some are very dangerous with tank inhabitants. Often if you feed less or have inhabitants that eat them they will go down in number. They eat from the water column most often it's things like baby brine they grab. 

Well that's going to be what's helping farm more. They're not necessarily BAD if they're- free live food especially. They're kinda neat little creatures. However not much eats them and I see they're in a Betta tank. Not sure if they do. I had a small patch forming in a tank. I occasionally feed baby brine from frozen. I stopped that a while. Then I got Guppies. They took care of the rest of them.

On 2/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, Stacy said:

I just recently started hatching baby brine. Now that you say that it did start around that time

I have a colleague that was doing some research with hydra.  The preferred way to raise them is with live baby brine shrimp.  I don't know what all they eat but they for sure prefer tiny animals. 

• Like 2