Fluval E Heater & Sponge filter help

penguinexdeus

Set up a 40 breeder a few days ago using the 300W Fluval E Heater and two of the Hygger double sponge filters (fine sponge).  I don't seem to be getting a lot of flow placing the heater next to the sponge filters (never had a problem with a more coarse sponge).  Kept getting the low flow alarm on the heater when it was vertical next to a filter.  I put the heater at a 45 degree angle now between the two filters and directed the 90 degree filter tube output towards the heater.  I don't have the low flow alarm anymore but the tank is struggling to get to temperature.  Can't seem to get it above 76F and I want it around 78F.

Any suggestions?  I want to use these filters since they suction to the back wall and leave me some floor space & i plan on breeding a few things in the tank.  Filters aren't dirty since nothing in tank at the moment except substrate and some plants.

What is the ambient room temp? The heaters are designed to heat 10 degrees above ambient room temp, based on calibration of the heater. 

We definitely recommend the 45 degree angle as the E-series will prematurely shut off, by design, if not placed in this position. 

My E-series seems to like being 0,5 degrees over the set temperature. It's not exact science obviously, it fluctuates. And the larger the tank the more flow is needed to spread the heat as equally around the tank as possible.

Is powerhead of any sort out of the question? The sponge filters don't really give much circulation all around the tank. Having said that, are you sure the heater is functioning properly at all? If it is cool, it should be getting enough flow to keep the sensor cold, yet it never manages to heat the water properly. Or is the flow so weak that the heated water never actually makes it back to the heater before cooling off? Maybe all the heated water is hiding in some weird corner of the aquarium where it just doesn't circulate back.

Edited by aquatoid