What to feed clown killifish?

Mread

I’d like to purchase some clown killifish. I know they are a micro predator and feed on the top. I’m a little gun shy about the type of food to feed them. I’ve not dealt with live foods before.  Would freeze dried versions work?  Any one had experience with various foods?  Open to recommendations and suggestions!

I feed my clown killifish baby brine shrimp, daphnia, fruit flies and flake. I went through a busy period where I could only feed flake and they seemed to thin out a bit. Baby brine shrimp are super easy but can be time consuming if fed every day without the proper setup. Fruit flies are super easy too. I'm still figuring out how to keep my daphnia culture from crashing. They're one of my favorite fish and definitely worth the extra effort. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 2:43 AM, Ogpulchra said:

I feed my clown killifish baby brine shrimp, daphnia, fruit flies and flake. I went through a busy period where I could only feed flake and they seemed to thin out a bit. Baby brine shrimp are super easy but can be time consuming if fed every day without the proper setup. Fruit flies are super easy too. I'm still figuring out how to keep my daphnia culture from crashing. They're one of my favorite fish and definitely worth the extra effort. 

Have you ever thought of trying freezed dried versions of those foods to make it easier?

I know the Aquarium Co-op site has a care guide for them that lists freeze dried and frozen in the feeding section. I think Cory did a video on their care too. I just noticed that some of my killifish fattened up better with live food. I think you'd be fine with freeze dried and frozen. 

I had read a few care guides before I got them that stated most would only accept live food. I guess I could probably make it easier on myself, but it's also fun to watch them "hunt" and I'm hoping they eventually breed. 

Edited by Ogpulchra
  • Thanks 1

You could feed frozen brine shrimp and Cyclops as well as crushed flake and a mixture of live foods you could get  micro worm culture or vinegar eels culture's as well as baby brine shrimp

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 8:42 AM, Ogpulchra said:

I know the Aquarium Co-op site has a care guide for them that lists freeze dried and frozen in the feeding section. I think Cory did a video on their care too. I just noticed that some of my killifish fattened up better with live food. I think you'd be fine with freeze dried and frozen. 

I had read a few care guides before I got them that stated most would only accept live food. I guess I could probably make it easier on myself, but it's also fun to watch them "hunt" and I'm hoping they eventually breed. 

Thank you so much!