Money saving tips. Fish keeping on a budget

Guppysnail

On 2/26/2022 at 12:17 PM, isaly said:

I think that applies to anything.

Many acoustic guitarists with more dollars than sense treat GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) with FART (fine acoustic retail therapy).

As a guitarist/ukulele guy of almost 50 years I can tell you that anything we pursue passionately can get expensive. I don't own a lot of instruments, but I do have a couple of really nice instruments and a few more common ones. I only go to a music store when I know I need something and I order strings online.

I have a friend who has a master's in clarinet performance. An instructor helped connect her with somebody who could get a specific, hard to find wooden clarinet. It was a very expensive instrument. 

I did finally think of something which isn't a necessary purchase- more of a decor tip. If you like the look of glass pebbles you buy small bags in pet or craft stores for astronomical prices and they don't go very far. Buy fire pit glass marbles that come in lots of pretty colors and they come in big bags. You'd be surprised at how many things you end up using them for. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
Typos are lame
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/25/2022 at 5:48 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m always looking for ways to save money in this hobby.  Please share your unique money savers. 

Mine is on prime. Seachem prime 500ml treats 5000 gallons. Average cost $20. Seachem safe is the dry formula of prime. It’s just missing the added water. A small 250 g bottle treats 60,000 gallons average cost $12-13. 

Please share your money saving tips. Inflation is up we could all use a few extra bucks in our pockets  😁

Prime

D1DECC13-D7DE-4581-A158-806968774FBD.png.0e98c8c6c54163af48b3d813bd62adc7.png9CA13010-B1D3-4922-8E53-6BB105063646.png.0aceb1b5727d436039c99d08808baaf5.png

SAFE

526BDE09-2279-4808-BBF1-A57182403C01.jpeg.b7cbe8efa5c2ca4e5b50e693b70d1133.jpeg355331AC-79C0-42F9-9B18-4F7F6931B6A0.jpeg.25b71712593c7b0504a068fb02325b0b.jpeg

I didn't even know they made this in a dry form. Definitely going to switch to this.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, Uttjrt3 said:

I didn't even know they made this in a dry form. Definitely going to switch to this.

Check your source water first.  If it contains copper do not switch.  Mine does so I have to ALSO still add some prime to detoxify heavy metals. When I first switched my shrimp and snails started struggling. I called Seachem and they confirmed Safe does not treat metals.  I know you have beautiful snails and wanted you to be aware. I just dose my gas off mega batches of water with safe. When I add to the tank in the next day or two I treat again with prime.  My tap contains 2-4 ppm of chlorine so constantly double to quadruple dosing prime for chlorine was massive expensive.  Now I only single dose as the safe has Dechlorinated it days before. 

• Like 1

I have gotten most of my tanks used off of Facebook marketplace, it's a great place to find them. Usually they will come with lots of accessories too! I hate to say it, because I love supporting my LFS financially, but Amazon.com by far has the best deal of equipment. I always get lights and air pumps from Amazon. The prices don't differ that much with chemicals, medicine of food, so I always get those from my LFS. And fish and plants of course. 

On 6/1/2022 at 11:19 AM, Guppysnail said:

Check your source water first.  If it contains copper do not switch.  Mine does so I have to ALSO still add some prime to detoxify heavy metals. When I first switched my shrimp and snails started struggling. I called Seachem and they confirmed Safe does not treat metals.  I know you have beautiful snails and wanted you to be aware. I just dose my gas off mega batches of water with safe. When I add to the tank in the next day or two I treat again with prime.  My tap contains 2-4 ppm of chlorine so constantly double to quadruple dosing prime for chlorine was massive expensive.  Now I only single dose as the safe has Dechlorinated it days before. 

Guess I better get a copper test kit. The only one I don't have.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 5:17 AM, Katherine said:

How on earth would you dose that for a 10g though?

There was an oooooold vlog video.  Cory went to the hardware store and got a spray bottle. He calculated it out so that one "spray" was 5 or 10 gallons. It's pretty awesome to see tips and tricks like that.  I have questions about shaking it, how long it would last, that sort of thing. 

For me, one of the best tips I can give anyone is to go and get a big storage bin, then you have a place for "fish stuff".  Whatever comes along, be it a mop you make, foam cuttings, trim pieces, media that you never think you'll need (carbon bags) and so many things that you never think you'll use.

Just yesterday I took a trim piece off a lid I had from 4-5 years ago and cut out a section to use to patch a hole in a filter basket.  I have two or three of these, but one decent size one is a great way to store things and have a place to do so that isn't in the way.  As an example, I have some stuff like heaters and pumps in there for the summer.  I have a pot to boil botanicals that got "some stuff" on it and became fish tools.  I have some tupperware and plastics I use for things.  I think we all have something like this in our rooms or cabinets, but having a "bigger" long term tub is such a nice way to have things that you won't normally use very often.  It also makes decisions like removing hardscape, adding to hardscape when you need to have some things available to you.  That little branch of wood you might trim to get a piece to fit, will end up finding a use instead of wanting to go out into the shops to go buy something for a QT tank.

Little things like that, repurpose and reuse, that's how I try to approach things.  I've got a nice set of ACO bottles for my bathroom soaps and dish soaps too! Lol.

• Like 1