Money saving tips. Fish keeping on a budget

Guppysnail

On 2/25/2022 at 5:04 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Rather than buying more plants think about getting a bag of leica, a cheap grow bulb and use a sterilite container to grow your own plants. 

I’ve been searching for a good source of seeds. I found bulk bulbs but no seeds for common aquarium plants. I’d love to grow my own, both for saving money and for fun. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’ve been searching for a good source of seeds. I found bulk bulbs but no seeds for common aquarium plants. I’d love to grow my own, both for saving money and for fun. 

Well I just cleaned out all my seed suppliers magazines I get tons. Next ones that come for spring I’ll start looking. I’ll let you know if I find any. I wonder if they call them by different names sold as terrestrial plants. My plant catalogues rarely use scientific names (thank goodness 🤣)

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Patrick_G said:

I just looked one up quick from burpee because I know they are online 

8A8271B8-E2E0-4514-AFFE-EB48981854E8.png

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 5:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

Well I just cleaned out all my seed suppliers magazines I get tons. Next ones that come for spring I’ll start looking. I’ll let you know if I find any. I wonder if they call them by different names sold as terrestrial plants. My plant catalogues rarely use scientific names (thank goodness 🤣)

Well I’m thick! I never dawned on me to look at terrestrial seed catalogs. You’re so smart! I’ll do that and also ask at my master gardener group. I forget that most aquarium plants are just marginal or riparian plants adapted for submerged growth. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 8:42 PM, Patrick_G said:

Well I’m thick! I never dawned on me to look at terrestrial seed catalogs. You’re so smart! I’ll do that and also ask at my master gardener group. I forget that most aquarium plants are just marginal or riparian plants adapted for submerged growth. 

If I was smart I would have thought to grow my own years ago 🤣

On 2/25/2022 at 2:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m very interested in diy money savers.

I made a barrier to hold back my water lettuce with straws. This can also be used to make a feeding circle. Also I made a thing to feed the snails without the fish stealing it. It's made out of a soap dish from the dollar tree glued to a suction cup. 

20220224_174040.jpg

20220221_180737.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/25/2022 at 7:01 PM, CT_ said:

I'm a big fan of build it yourself for twice the price and half the quality!  😅

I probably need help of some kind.

That’s half the fun of the hobby, bonus if it gives an excuse to buy a new tool.

Edited by MarkM
Double quote
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/25/2022 at 1:00 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m very interested in diy money savers. Anything money saving really. I’m retired to just looking to make my money go farther 😁

One thing i want to try is have a composter running on aquarium bio waste, plant clippings, filter cleanings, hair algae, water change water, even dead fish. Then, freezing little cubes of compost to make root tabs. It'll take a lot of team b4 this will save money b/c of the cost of a composter, and you'd still probably have to by mulch, so it's more of a fun project that might save you money than a game changing money saver.

The biggest money saver I can think of is matching fish to your water not water to your fish. Adapting water chemistry adds an awful lot of regular costs to the aquarium. 

On 2/26/2022 at 6:11 AM, Scapexghost said:

composter running on aquarium bio waste

l throw all of this into my (very small) garden I see it as easier to save money there than working it back to the tank. 

But then again I barely fertilise my tank but hope it works out for you maybe a hot composter would be the best way to go and potentially give you results from lower volumes.

Edited by Flumpweesel
Removed the type O's of a late night post
  • Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 7:14 AM, Guppysnail said:

@gardenman @KatherineIf I was only treating 10 gallons I would/sometimes still do use prime. I was just offering one of my money saving methods in hopes others would share their money saving tips 😁

You could predilute and add the liquid but I’m to lazy to do those calculations 

That's how I get ferts in my pico tanks!

I add the ferts for "treats 60 gallons" to a bottle of water and have the bottle marked for treating in 5 gallon increments. 

Treats all four of my 10 gallons, plus 4 of my 5 gallons😁

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 7:48 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Forgot the obvious if I need to save money I keep away from the lfs, I never leave with only what I went in for.

So very true!  I went in to “look around” the other day and walked out with 3 tiger silver dollars (Mytennis fasciatus) for dither fish for my Jack Dempseys. Fish store employee talked me into getting only 3 instead of a 6 shoal to start with because she knew they’d hit my plants.  I decided they just didn’t look as comfortable as they should as a trio so I’ve gone back for 3 more (they are looking happier in QT).  I know they’ll probably hit my swords hard, but they’re small enough now, I think the swords will hold up to them for a while.  The Vals are already goners from how rough the Jacks and plecos are.  I’m hoping the Crinums will hold up long term and I’m pretty sure the lucky bamboo will hold up long term.

I’m going to risk a single Anubias on a rock and see how it does.  It’s held up to Jacks and plecos so far, now that they’ve come to accept some plants in their tank, I tucked it up close to the swords and it had a good hold on its lava rock.  If it does OK, I may tuck some other big Anubias in there, too.  If I keep feeding plenty of yummy, softer greens, maybe the dollars will leave them alone.

I’m also pretty sure the Jacks will be ungrateful as all get out to have companion fish and will likely hide for at least the first week since I’ll be introducing something so new into their tank.  I’ll let you know in about 4 weeks when the little dollars come out of QT (the dollars are big enough to not be at risk for being swallowed by Jacks).

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo
  • Like 2

Money saving tip, eBay can be a great place to find really good deals on equipment if your patient. I wanted a fluval aqausky but could see spending $70 for one. After checking eBay everyday for a week, I managed to find an open box one for $35 with shipping.  

I also started looking into inviting co2 into my tank (before the tank cracked). Figured out pretty quick that to save money and get what I wanted, going DIY would be cheaper. I bought a 2 stage regulator off eBay for $50. At some point I'll get the rest of the parts.

My tank cracked about a week and a half ago while doing maintenance. I managed to save the fish but most of my crypts and jungle vals melted. I'm basically starting over at this point, which is why the co2 project is delayed. I just spent a bunch of money on anubias from Aquarium Co-op. The plants I received are healthier and larger than what I can buy locally.

Anyway, moral of the story, if you know what your looking for, money saving deals can be found if your patient and persistent.

Edited by sairving
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:51 AM, sairving said:

Anyway, moral of the story, if you know what your looking for, money saving deals can be found if your patient and persistent.

I think that applies to anything.

Many acoustic guitarists with more dollars than sense treat GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) with FART (fine acoustic retail therapy).

As a guitarist/ukulele guy of almost 50 years I can tell you that anything we pursue passionately can get expensive. I don't own a lot of instruments, but I do have a couple of really nice instruments and a few more common ones. I only go to a music store when I know I need something and I order strings online.

• Like 2